my day at the track...I need Kumhos

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will keep it short, Atwood, KS holds a car show then takes the cars who want to participate and takes them to the airstrip. I thought the track was 1/4 racing but it turned out to 1/8 (sorta, most of us ran 1/4-3/4 mile).

Anyway, first car was an older Monte Carlo, blew him away.

2nd car, a pro-street GTO who runs 12.0-12.3 with slicks. Got to the line and launched. He hooked up, I didnt. Once I did, I stayed a car length behind.

3rd car, some older year Camaro with slicks. Again, he hooked I didnt. I did catch up with him at the end of the 1/8 and had we gone another 1/8 would have had him.

last race against a destroked 400 (377ci) with some type of radial. He got me off the line but I passed him at the end of the 1/8.

New mods did well as did the Woodhouse shifter, didnt miss anything. I was running about 35psi in the front, 24 in the rear with spare removed.

I think the Kumhos would have hooked better, what are the chances Kumhos and the mods listed below could break some halfshafts? If I would have had a supercharger most of these guys would have seen my taillights, ******** twin turbos and nobody at this event would have a chance and probably would have been in awe.

Anyway, a fun today and nothing broke, cant beat that.

OP
OP
D

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they dont record et's or 60', just mph which I couldnt hear and have no idea. its "supposed to be just for fun", ya right, what car lover who races his car isnt serious.

anyway, I had a blast and ran some cars which were modded for just such an event, put us on some twisties and these guys would have been toast. I think there were a couple hundred cars. in fact, the track (landing strip) was uphill with a headwind, and zero prep so all in all not bad. Did get quite a few kids getting their picture taken in front of the snake at the carshow and quite a few "thats my dreamcar" statements.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I prefer to race with Michilin slicks.... but everyday driving switch to V700 Kuhmos all around, which hook well at the track, but not as good as the slicks.