My dyno results

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally got my car dyno'd. Not bad for a naturally aspirated car with no crazy mods!
Max Rear Wheel Horsepower: 435
Max Rear Wheel Torque: 474

You must be registered for see images

You can see the details of my car at: My Web site

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schorvitz,

From the pic this car looks like a 96 or 97, and you are a bit low on power. Put the factory throttle bodies back on and go re-dyno the car and you will pickup some power. I have seen many cars with mods like yours pulling 450+, and I am sure yours will as well with some minor corrections.

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ M:
Schorvitz,

From the pic this car looks like a 96 or 97, and you are a bit low on power. Put the factory throttle bodies back on and go re-dyno the car and you will pickup some power. I have seen many cars with mods like yours pulling 450+, and I am sure yours will as well with some minor corrections.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this is a 1996.

Wow. I never would have thought of the larger throttle bodies causing a problem. This car does have upgraded throttle bodies, but they're not the usual 70mm. These are only 63mm from what I was told. Do you know what the stock size is? I thought a 70HP gain over stock HP from these simple mods was huge. If I can squeeze out another 10-20 by switching out the throttle bodies, then why the heck not :)

Also, I love how my torque curve is flat between 3500 and 5000 RPM, but would love to pick the 5000 - 6000 range up so it matches my peak horsepower. I know a cam would do this, but which one?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
70HP Increase?

Yes, check your T-Bodies. From what everyone says, you're down on power and that could be the culprit...

96 and 97's STOCK (K & N's and tubes added) should dyno anywhere from 420 rane RWHP.... I would say your down about 20 (or MORE!) or so RWHP...

Good LUck!

Gerald

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine made 436 rwhp 485 rwtq when I had headers, exhaust, tubes, and filters. Stock your car should have made 400-410 rwhp so your up by 25-35 rwhp with your mods. The larger TB should not effect your peek HP but may lower your peek TQ. If you want to see more dyno numbers click on my website below then select "Dyno Results" at the top. You'll see there are wide variances from car to car.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dynoed my 97gts this weekend with similiar mods. Results were 476rwhp 515tq. Mods: Edelbrock headers,hi-flo cats,Borla exhaust, Arrow 1.7 rockers,honed and polished throttle bodies, modified airbox, computer mod, w/3.45 gears. I don't think your throttle bodies are hurting your performance. Don't forget, your original base line was 415hp,vs 450 for 97s.Tim

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim,
1996's GTSs were 450 HP, too.

Henry's car - with K&N's, smooth tubes, high flow cats, 1999 and up stock headers and a Borla exhaust - consistently dynos in the 454 HP / 504 TQ corrected. No roller rockers, computer mods, etc...

There are some variations car to car - as my car is about 10-15 HP less with the exact same mods....

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, thanks for the correction. I was thinking of the R/Ts. I should have paid att: to the aviator. Tim

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Schorvitz,

Considering you are heading out to the track and contemplating where to shift, I ran your dyno numbers into an optimum shift points calculator.

There are two trains of thought 1) keep the same HP before and after the shift, and 2) maximize the area under the HP curve.

For the same HP, you should shift from 1-2 at 6175 rpm (365 HP before and after), 2-3 and 3-4 at 6000 rpm for 400 HP before and after.

To maximize the area under the curve, you would need to shift at 6300 rpm from 1st through 4th gears.

As you may be rev limited, I would highly recommend shifting at 6000 rpm in all cases if you plan on maximizing your acceleration.

For those interested, the calculator link is: http://www.bgsoflex.com/shifter.html

Our 1-4 transmission ratios are 2.66, 1.78, 1.33, and 1.00. Rear end ratio does not matter.

Have fun,

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snakester:
I think that those are good numbers for those mods.
supergrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was even more excited about how flat the HP curve is between 3500 and 5000 rpm :) If anything, this dyno result told me to shift at 5000 rpm. I'm taking my car onto Road Atlanta on November 16th. It's my first time on Road Atlanta and the first time I will have this car on the track.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry that is not a burnout. I laid one down that lasted for 1 block. Nice and fat and black. I should have roped off the area and charged admission for viewing. People came from all over the area to view it. Then came the ricers with there thin tires trying to match it in width and length. Then they paved the road over and it was gone
frown.gif

O2ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 600 miles I dynoed my 2002 Viper GTS ACR at pocono raceway on a portable dynojet.Not sure on the altitude there but it was a rainy day with the barometer at 28.20. Any racer would know it just not good air.What toll would that play on hp?
Well anyway we made 410.20 rwh and 451 rwt. (stock)
how does this stack up with the rest of the vipers.
Dose mileage plays a part with HP?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Well anyway we made 410.20 rwh and 451 rwt. (stock)
how does this stack up with the rest of the vipers.
Dose mileage plays a part with HP?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's around 472hp at the crank, which is pretty good for a stock ACR.
supergrin.gif

I believe that the power and performance does go up a bit with some more miles on the car to break it in.

-Dean.