My engine is on its way to Archer - and not for anything good

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While doing some spirited driving this past friday my engine started making a really bad noise. It was RPM dependent and seemed to be coming from the last cylinder on the left side of the engine. At first I thought it might be a lifter come loose, but then realized that the sound was way too loud and the entire engine was shaking a little too much. At this point I figured maybe I could nurse it to a little bit of a better location but within a mile my oil pressure dropped to zero, so I shut it down, pulled over to the side of the road and called the tow truck.

There was nothing coming out of the engine, no oil on the ground or anything. Something inside the engine just plain old broke. This is a 2004 SRT with 6000 miles and relatively stock.

So, as I expected they towed the car to a dealership without a Viper tech. So on Monday they towed it to a different dealer.

As of yesterday they started the engine briefly at which point they contacted Daimler Chrysler and decided that the best course of action would be to pull the entire motor, crate it up and ship it to Archer racing for a diagnosis and potential rebuild including replacement of the block if necessary.

So what do you think the over/under is on getting my car back in the next 2 months?

Anyone have any ideas about what may have happened?

And in the future if something like this happens at the track, is it still covered by the warranty?

Also, if they need to replace the entire engine, how does this effect the future of my car? What if I wanted to sell it at some point in time?

Needless to say, I am not too thrilled with SRT right now.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will actually go to Arrow racing and they can give you a full report when it is done. They are also pretty good about the turn around, so if your dealer is on the ball you will have it back in probably 4-6 weeks, maybe less. Did it myself on my GTS and the engine came back stronger than stock. They do a very, very good job there.

As yours is a 2004, I wonder if one of the recall/TSB issues affected it such as a crank/cam sensor coming loose: TSB Bulletin #:19

Description: THE CAMSHAFT SPROCKET RETAINING BOLTS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY TIGHTENED. A LOOSE CAM SPROCKET BOLT CAN BACK OUT AND CAUSE SIGNIFICANT ENGINE DAMAGE. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION NO. D19. *TT

OP
OP
D

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad. On the way to Arrow, I must have misheard the Viper tech.

I have the extended warranty to 2011.

This event made it very clear to me that I will not be putting the engine mods to work on this car. I am pretty sure a paxton would void the warranty.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This event made it very clear to me that I will not be putting the engine mods to work on this car. I am pretty sure a paxton would void the warranty.
Certainly understand and appreciate your concern. That said, there are two other considerations:

1. Viper engines are generally pretty bullet proof. Not always as we both can attest, but coming back from Arrow it is unlikely to experience any "factory" failures. Assuming it was something to do with one of the 2004 TSB's, it will now be fixed right. They use all new parts for anything that is even slightly marginal. Not slap some gaskets on it and send it back.

2. Assuming you use a tuner of some sort for your Paxton install, they will usually provide you a warranty of their own. I believe Woodhouse will install the Paxton system and honor the factory warranty for whatever length it may be (not positive, check with Pemberton at 800-889-1893 to be sure).

While a Paxton would most likely void your warranty (if it can be proven that it directly caused any damage), there are a LOT of installs out there that are running problem-free. And few are running on hand-built engines from Arrow Racing.

Just a thought. :2tu:

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It will actually go to Arrow racing and they can give you a full report when it is done. They are also pretty good about the turn around, so if your dealer is on the ball you will have it back in probably 4-6 weeks, maybe less. Did it myself on my GTS and the engine came back stronger than stock. They do a very, very good job there.

As yours is a 2004, I wonder if one of the recall/TSB issues affected it such as a crank/cam sensor coming loose: TSB Bulletin #:19

Description: THE CAMSHAFT SPROCKET RETAINING BOLTS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY TIGHTENED. A LOOSE CAM SPROCKET BOLT CAN BACK OUT AND CAUSE SIGNIFICANT ENGINE DAMAGE. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION NO. D19. *TT

Doc, this is what I was referring to in my other post.

OP
OP
D

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked into the TSB, and I know the engines are pretty bulletproof, yet I really think I broke a rod or something of that nature.

It really sounded like it was coming from the bottom end.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its a con rod (#3 anyone?) these engines can and do spin bearings if driven while turning - I know understand the problem can recur after they replace the motor. However, I believe DC hac been covering these oil starvation failures under warranty. There is a thread on this issue.

The only solution is a dry sump system. The oil pan or swing arm solutions do not work.

OP
OP
D

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was playing on some pretty windy West Virginia mountain back roads. So it could have been an oil issue.

I guess I won't know anything for sure until I get a report from Arrow. I wonder if they would mind putting in a different cam as long as they are rebuilding the engine???

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I would bet it had something to do with the crank and harmonic ballancer dammage.
KNOWN PAST ISSUES

vd..

Balancer is in the front of the engine behind crank pulley, not in the back where he says the noise comes from.... ??

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would bet it had something to do with the crank and harmonic ballancer dammage.
KNOWN PAST ISSUES

vd..

Balancer is in the front of the engine behind crank pulley, not in the back where he says the noise comes from.... ??

when the crank goes the rear lifts towards the firewall.

vd..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC