My Gas Pedal Came Off - What Else Is Next?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gas pedal came off today while driving. Has this happen to anyone else? This has never ever happened to me before and makes me think of the workmanship on the car.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You should check out the rest of the pedal assmebly and see how it's put together. A two year old could have done a better job!

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
My gas pedal came off today while driving. Has this happen to anyone else? This has never ever happened to me before and makes me think of the workmanship on the car.

DK I guess you are back, that s(^&ks !

Did you fix ?

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not surprised your gas pedal fell off....It is from all the lead in your foot, a little too heavy for the pedal assembly. sorry...couldn't resist...good luck to ya!!

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that happen to my 01 a couple of weeks after I brought her home. I just fixed it myself with a bolt and a couple of locking nuts. My policy is if I can fix it myself why have someone else break something else while "its in the shop".

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was talking to chuck tator and he gave me pointers. he also said that they been making that same design way before the viper hit the market. maybe DODGE should change the design since he mash the pedal all the time in the viper and not in trucks.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has come off twice.First time a real surprise driving down the road.Easy enough to drive once realize what just happened.I agree the build quality on this seems worse than others Ive owned.Having a real problem with drivers side door not being lined up right.Noticed scratches on side sill now.Had it adjusted when I first got it but its always been noticable when looking at car with door closed. :(

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just reach down and modulate the gas with a cane. The pedal just adds weight and takes up leg room. Car will be 1/10 of a second faster at the track.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has come off twice.First time a real surprise driving down the road.Easy enough to drive once realize what just happened.I agree the build quality on this seems worse than others Ive owned.Having a real problem with drivers side door not being lined up right.Noticed scratches on side sill now.Had it adjusted when I first got it but its always been noticable when looking at car with door closed. :(
must be a yellow thing lol, sorry had to get a cheap shot in :p
Mike

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just had pedal put back by a fellow viper owner. viper community is great and always willing to help where ever they can and when they can. over the past month i had marc lublin help me out and ramsey with blue ACR. these guys are an asset to the viper community. thanks for all.

old96er

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine kept falling of too. I thought about the nut and bolt thing but it seemed the threads would act as a low speed file every time I mashed on it. I fixed it by grinding a small flat on the very end of the pin and then drilled a very small perpendicular hole with a drill press. I used a washer and a cotter pin (colored black with a sharpie for absolute stealth) to hold it on. Been fine for years.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Mine came off this last weekend at the track. Now that was fun. I guess I shouldnt make fun of peoples posts, cuz it comes back and bites once in awhile. lol. funny.

Nothing that duct tape and twisty ties couldnt fix...lost the "pin" that holds it on you see...

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with my gas pedal. I hate the rattling sound it makes when you lift your foot, but I love smashing it all the way down to the floor to keep it quiet.
:headbang:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"must be a yellow thing lol, sorry had to get a cheap shot in"
Mike

Also seems like mostly yellow 01's

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Mine came off this last weekend at the track. Now that was fun. I guess I shouldnt make fun of peoples posts, cuz it comes back and bites once in awhile. lol. funny.

Nothing that duct tape and twisty ties couldnt fix...lost the "pin" that holds it on you see...

:2tu:

pauljkopick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
True about the Dakota truck. Mine came off at the track,got use to the nub loved it,eventally put on aftermarket. :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine came off my 1996 GTS a week ago..... I thought something felt different.... but didn't have time to look... then when I went to back the car out fo the garage to wash it with no shoes on, the assembly stuck me in the foot... :)

I'm still not sure I put it back on the right way..... I found the peddle, a spring, and a pin.... is there anything else? anything to secure the pin?

I have the service manual, and couldn't find a diagram detailing this...

thanks...

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hook up a hand thottle to mine. that way i am sure i let off the gas when i change gears. hope this helps?????

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the gas pedal rattle from the beginning and someone gave me the advise to put a piece of rubber (bike tire) around...this helps against the rattle, may be against "coming off" too?