My jacking technique

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My JACKING technique is free,satisfaction guaranteed!
laugh.gif

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it onto two 1 1/4" think boards (or one long one if you have it), then put your normal jack under it. Mine is a 3 ton. Very Easy......

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are smoking crack! You should NEVER use a jack without a proper jacking pad (or boss)! You increase (almost guarantee) the likelihood of the car slipping off of the the jack and causing damage. Nuts. Think about it! You're using a smooth metal surface to jack another smooth metal surface at an angle. When, not if, it falls it's going to cost you more than an expensive jack! Maybe a hand!

Okay. Go to www.griotsgarage.com and find the low profile jack that costs around $285. Don't ask your wife, just order it. Before it arrives go somewhere and buy four jack stands. Then go to home depot and have them cut you 4 12" x 12" squares from quality plywood.

Here's the procedure:
1) Place the Griot's jack on the side jacking point that is located in front of the rear wheel. It's just below the door seam straight and is straight down. Jack the car up until the front and rear wheels are completely off of the ground. The car is SOOO STIFF that both wheels lift easiliy with no frame flexing.

2) Place a jack stand on the the flat board and slide it under the rear frame and do it again for the front frame.

3) Lower the car gently and securly on the jacks.

4) Repeat for the other side.

It takes about three minutes and is completely safe. Your car will be completely off of the ground it two basic moves with no jimmy jamming around.

From now on I don't want to see any posts like "Car slipped of jack and tore my side sill off and crushed my exhaust. And skippty the cat must go to the taxidermist for re-shaping and stuffing." If you ever are in a situation to post this please contact the moderators and have them open an "I'm a complete dumba$$" forum.

Peace.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't use ramps or high dollar jacks...

Tools: 2 MVP Jacks from Walmart ($13/each) 2 Jack Stands from Walmart (~$10/each)

1) Remove the metal lift pads (just take cotter pin out of back and remove). This gives a 1/2 lower profile to the jack.

2) Place 1 jack on the rear frame member (behind the rear wheel) and lift the rear a few inches. It's not a lot of force on the frame because the rear wheels never leave the ground.

3) Now fit the other jack under the the jacking point on the front (same side that you put the jack on the rear).

4) Lower and remove rear jack.

5) Jack up the front side slightly and install jack from rear on the other front side.

6) Raise both sides as much as you want and put jack stands under frame for safety.

7) When done remove jack stands and lower both sides and remove the jacks (the car will sit higher until the springs settle and you won't have any trouble removing both jacks).

I used this same technique on my C5 and Lotus Esprit. I find it easier than nagivating ramps.

ViperDoctor

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to do the boards and the crappy jack routine. What a pain. The Griots jack is great. Slide it right under and your done. A lot easier, faster, and safer. Sadly I'm moving out of my garage and have it and four jack stands for sale. Located in Houston. Email me if your interested.

Reaction score
We typically get what we pay for, in my opinion safety and quality are most important. I use a light NASCAR style jack (light weight, low profile and expensive). Three pumps and one side is off the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog