My Shifter/Shift knob upgrade

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coming from a corvette the shift feel of my viper left a lot to be desired in my opinion. I first tried remedying this by installing a shortened shift knob from MGW. While this helped a lot I still didn't like the spongy feeling in the shifter.

So I got on the phone with Woodhouse and ordered the MGW complete shifter, why isn't that shifter listed on any website? The shift feel and precision with this is excellent.

My next fix was to find the shift that suited me best. I've tried the First Strike and Gripper from MGW but all along was wanting MGW's Race knob like I ran in my vettes. So after a call to MGW I learned they do make the Race knob for vipers but after receiving it I guess maybe it was for the older generations as it had no built in stem which makes it much shorter than the First Strike or the Gripper. Since I'm lucky enough to have access to quite a few machine shops and their machinist I fixed that problem.

Here's the shifter-

You must be registered for see images

Here's the adaptors I had made with the Race knob and First Strike knob in the background-

Adaptor being test fitted-

Since I do a lot of firearms building/ customizing I decided to Cerakote my adaptor flat black-

And the MGW race knob-

Can't wait to install it this weekend and test it out.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. While I like the stock shift knob, I may give your suggestion a try. Will be looking forward to the install pictures.

I do think the Viper factory shifter is a significant improvement over T-56 shifters of the past though. The switch to my MGW was no where near as drastic in the Viper or even C6Z as it was in my old '03 Cobra.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great! Mark shipped me a MGW shifter today as well. I've had the shorter MGW shaft/knob, but I still don't really like the stock shifter. I cannot wait to get it in the car!

I was thinking the exact same thing about it not being on any websites. Luckily I read that Mark carried them, so all it took was a quick call.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work! I could never understand how Dodge could put the P.O.S. shifter in the Gen 3 Viper.....high dollar car with cheap shifter just doesn't make sence. They fixed it with the Gen 4

Bill

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RC, thanks for posting. Looks like you're doing some very nice mods :2tu: I have an MGW shifter on my To-Do-Mod list also!

Viper0062

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had MGW shifter installed with low bezzle about a month ago in my 2008 SRT Coupe. Great quality shifter and is well worth the money. Good luk on installation.
You must be registered for see images attach
[=CONFIG]18895[/ATTACH]
ATTACH

OP
OP
R

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed my new shift knob today. The combination of an MGW shifter and the Race knob is the perfect combination in my opinion.

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
curious on pricing for the shifter? I have been looking for this as well and you are right. It is not listed on any sites..

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that looks great. I'd love one. I'm not a big fan of the ball style shifters. It's fine, but I prefer the race knob style.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
curious on pricing for the shifter? I have been looking for this as well and you are right. It is not listed on any sites..

I would think around $300, as that's what they listed for when they came out. By far the best mod I did on my 2008 ;)

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Give Mark at Woodhouse Motorsports a call, he can give you a price and probably has a few in-stock. 402-592- 1 thousand

Viper0062

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like your shifter knob and decided to install one on my '08 Coupe. MGW now has the same that you can order that will adapt right to there short through shifter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960