N2O Z06 Outruns N20 Viper GTS

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
About a month ago I posted on the CF looking for a new Z06 to race. I was thinking of getting one and wanted to see what they have so I figured this would be the best way to find out. After a few days a guy named Sean (OpticZ06) stepped up to the plate. He said he would meet me at Carolina Dragway on the 17(last Sat). Just a few weeks ago my car dynoed at 563rwhp & 701rwtq at Norris Motorsports in Orlando. I was running on Michelin Pilots and Sean was running on the stock Goodyear SC's. I put down three runs.
60ft..........1.879.........1.896............1.994
1/8............7.76...........7.635.............7.741
1/8mph......96.56.........95.50............95.91
1/4............11.69.........11.62...........11.715
1/4mph.....129.24........126.70..........122.94
This is in chronological order. With my 60ft and 1/4 mile speed on the first run it seems like I should have gone better than a 11.6. Every pass after that only got worse for whatever reason. I don't know what happened but the fact is my best E.T. was an 11.62 and my best mph was 129.24. (And for you guys that are saying "he can't drive" chew on this. I drove the car to a 7.92 @ 92.8mph in the 1/8th 100% stock.)

Sean is running a 75 shot (we pulled the pills to verify), headers, air intake, and cat back, and pulled an 11.41 @ 126mph. He also put down a second 11.4 run to back it up as well as an 11.9 all motor pass. He ran a 7.4 in the 1/8th!! To make things worse there was a second Z06 with a similar setup that also ran 11.40's.

All of the vette guys were really cool and I don't seem to be getting too much grief about it over at the CF. I was just amazed at how fast that car was. Now come on guys you have to admit that is flying.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What were the vettes 60fts.Could describe your launch,is your juice on at full throttle only?I've got similar power.I juice @ full throttle 1st gear and wheel hop/spin is crazy.I'm gonna come out at idle,hopefully stick and go.What was the Z's jetting,telling you its 75 shot?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed,

Don't know how much difference 1 run makes, but with nitrous each use makes the bottle loose pressure. Loss of pressure means loss of HP... Better go find that NO2 filling station nearby and fill that bottle after each spray and then rematch time!

Gerald

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

A simple bottle heater will cure your problem if in fact that you are loosing pressure. I disagree that you were loosing pressure and feel that your engine was heat soaked.

Also, you are making about 300 RW ft/lbs of torque more than your friendly competition which adds a further degree of difficulty to driving your car. I owned a C-5 vette and with nitrous it was still tame in comparison to my viper on spray.

Your MPH tells the story. You are making more power, keep practicing. BTW, did you fix that stumble that your car has when the juice comes on??

Just my .02 as i have ran several 10.80 passes on stock pilots at well over 135 mph with a single stage nitrous system with no more mods than your corvette buddies. Keep up the good work.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did he show you his cam?....or pistons? i think not. it's all elementary...if a stock z can't beat a stock viper then something has to be done to compensate for the hp tourque difference. now you just sit back and take it easy....and repeat after me..... it's all elementary........it's all elementary.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why I race from a roll.. I want the car to beat me not the driver!!

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spent like an hour responding to each and every one of your posts. It was well thought out and answered all of the questions. I hit SUBMIT only to find out the thread has been moved!
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
So here we go, I have a bottle heater kept an eye on bottle pressure, make 425/471 all motor, Sean had 1.8 60ft times, and he's a good guy so I doubt he would lie about his set up. Sorry, that was just aggrivating. Man you guys should have seen my beautiful post. It was a work of art.
laugh.gif

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mello,

I know Sean. He is a stand up guy. It is not a heads and cam car if he says it's not.

I also agree with XSMPH, I only go from a roll as well.

Regards,

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THATS FAST, YOU CAN'T PUT DOWN A Z06 I KNOW I HAD ONE, BUT I WAS AT THE TRACK WITH TOOFST HIS CAR SHOULD HAVE RAN BETTER THAN THE 11.39 ET @128 MPH HE JUST COULDN'T HOOK THE CAR UP.
I KEPT MY 2001 Z06 FOR A MONTH AND ORDERED A YELLOW 2002 Z06, BUT DECIDED TO CANCEL IT AND BUY A YELLOW 2001 GTS, GREAT CHOICE I KNOW, I HAVE A 360 MODENA DUE IN 1/1/02 I JUST HOPE THE CAR WILL BE AS MUCH FUN.
-----------------
2001 YELLOW GTS
TOOFST AIR BOX
S & B FILTERS
SMOOTH TUBES
BALLANGER HEADERS-EXHAUST
11.9 ET @ 120MPH
-----------------

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads