NARRA...Road Atlanta...April 12-14, 2013

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just putting reminder out there to "save the date" for this event.
We had a decent turn out last year with Vipers from GA and many other states as well, but not a lot of actual participants. If we can get some more people to register and drive this year, we should be able to get some pretty good discounts on our registration fees.
The NARRA website is VERY lacking in useful information, but I am working with Kim (LisaKay is no longer there) to get relavent information on run groups, fees, discounts, rules, etc. I'm also asking whether we will need to have a "group" sign-up for the discounts, or if we can just reference something when we sign up. I'm asking for additional discounts as the number of entries get higher, so we might need to have a "pre-group" done first and then we can all sign up once we know our total number of people. I will give updates as soon as I get them.
I know they did 4 sessions of 30 mins each last year, and everyone who participated had a great time, so put these dates on your calendar now and plan to come join us. If you haven't been on the track with your snake yet, you owe it to yourself to get out there. The beginner group with instructors has plenty of first timer's out there, so don't worry about being new to the track.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just putting reminder out there to "save the date" for this event.
We had a decent turn out last year with Vipers from GA and many other states as well, but not a lot of actual participants. If we can get some more people to register and drive this year, we should be able to get some pretty good discounts on our registration fees.
The NARRA website is VERY lacking in useful information, but I am working with Kim (LisaKay is no longer there) to get relavent information on run groups, fees, discounts, rules, etc. I'm also asking whether we will need to have a "group" sign-up for the discounts, or if we can just reference something when we sign up. I'm asking for additional discounts as the number of entries get higher, so we might need to have a "pre-group" done first and then we can all sign up once we know our total number of people. I will give updates as soon as I get them.
I know they did 4 sessions of 30 mins each last year, and everyone who participated had a great time, so put these dates on your calendar now and plan to come join us. If you haven't been on the track with your snake yet, you owe it to yourself to get out there. The beginner group with instructors has plenty of first timer's out there, so don't worry about being new to the track.

That's for sure. I am trying to get info for TWS. And it's just a couple weeks away....:dunno:

For April we are talking either Atlanta with NARRA or Barber with Chin. MVP is going to RA in June and November this
year too. I'll stay in touch with you.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good Tree! I definitely hope you can make the Atl date with NARRA.
I'll definitely be hitting more tracks this year and I'm sure I'll see you at some, but this is the only event I'm planning on bringing the Viper to.

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would def. like to go, what do i need to have to be able to run in the beginner's group?, my car is 100% stock, and i ve never done RR, plenty of drag racing though.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I don't do Daytona that weekend I'll pro head to this. Daytona is just so much closer for me.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would def. like to go, what do i need to have to be able to run in the beginner's group?, my car is 100% stock, and i ve never done RR, plenty of drag racing though.

For their normal HPDE, you should be fine with just having a helmet, long pants and shirt.
You're supposed to have a real roll bar and SA rated helmet (auto racing).
However, for the beginner group, they will probably let you get by with a M (motorcycle) rated helmet and without the real roll bar. I know they did last year, but it's one of the things I'm awaiting confirmation from Kim about.

If you go to the NARRA website, you can send an email to Kim to ask her as well. Maybe the more people we get asking questions, the quicker they can get the updated info out.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will have to join NARRA (cheap) and you will have to pay the HPDE fee which includes an instructor, classroom instruction, and about 2+hours of track time. You need an approved helmet - SA2010 - not a motorcycle helmet. I would strongly suggest you change out your brake fluid to hi-temp fluid. Brake pads need to be at least 50% and tires must be Z rated with no wear bars showing. They will check a few things on your car but the biggy is the helmet. And, your brake fluid will get hot if you haven't upgraded. About 6 of us from AL/TN went last year and we had a ball. The GA club will be there too and we plan to hook up with them. You also get to watch the Viper cup races and hang out with all the Viper folks. This is an undiscovered great time. Road Atlanta is one of the premier tracks in the country and you will have a ball. All Viper owners who push their cars should experience an HPDE event to appreciate what your car will do and learn to drive it safely. Just look what its done for TOWDAWG!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, look what it's done for me. lol
I've hit a wall, blown a tranny, and now bought a race car. Damn, it's worse than any drug out there!! :)

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're planning to come from Texas - we sure had fun last year and are looking forward to more of the same!

B did buy a race car and so far she's cracked the crank shaft, broke the teeth off the ring gear in her rear diff and had rear hub bearings replaced . . . all since June!

Yep, we have it bad too - we set up a savings account titled Viper repair fund and automatically move money into it with every paycheck :)

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I got some of my additional questions answered from Kim this evening.

You do NOT need an aftermarket roll bar to run verts in the HPDE groups. They don't like to advertise this because it's obviously safer to have one, but you do not have to.
You DO have to run with the top up. No big deal, as I always do anyway.
For driver attire, you DO have to have the following:
SA 2005 or newer helmet.
Long pants.
Long sleeve shirt. (They were pretty lax on this last year, but bring one just in case)
If you have harnesses in your car and will have an instructor or passenger, the passenger seat must be equipped with equal restraints as the driver seat.
There will be 3 (really 2 HPDE groups).
Beginner (with instructors). Passing only on the 3 straights with point-by.
Solo. Passing anywhere with point-by.
TT. Passing anywhere with point-by. (Not HPDE, but she mentioned specifically that HPDE solo and TT will not run together because I questioned this due to info on their site.)
There will be 4 sessions per day.
She said 20-30 minutes each. They were 30 minutes last year, so I assume they will be this year as well.
All SOLO qualified drivers can have passengers. The passengers just need to get a passenger wrist band.

I am still getting the details of discounts per entries. As of now, she said they are looking at handling it as a rebate to the local club. The club can do with it what they please.
The way I see it, is either the GA or AL/TN club can collect the "rebate" and then spread it among all entries divided equally. The way she presented it was a little confusing in terms of the amount, but the way I read it was that if we get 10 entries, there would be a $100 per entry rebate. Assuming the rebate is given back to the people who enter, then basically take $100 off the entry fee to get your real cost. I will confirm this once I hear back.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I have so far as far as people planning on registering for HPDE:

Maybe:
Tree

Probably:
Jack (GA)
B&R (2 cars/entries)
NOHEMI

Almost Definitely:
Myself (TN)
Joel (TN)
Brian (TN) +2
Todd (TN)

That puts us at 10 "pretty good chance" entries already, and possibly 11 total. I know there will be at least a few others from GA that want to register and hopefully some more from AL/TN.
Of course people are welcome to come from anywhere as well!!!

Please chime in on this thread or send me a PM if you have any questions, and also if you go ahead and register. I just want to make sure we get credit for all entries, and it will be best to have a list already compiled. Also, if anyone you know is planning on going, but doesn't get on here much, please PM me their name as well.

Last edited:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm out as we got Daytona on the April 11-12th. You can get on RA almost any weekend of the year. Not the case with Daytona

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be there as well. B&R will likely be in a caravan from Houston. Hope I have the motor back in my 08 or I will have to bring my wife's 09.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I get the motor back in the #9 in time to register I'll run as well.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're inside a month now to this event. :)

Just wanted to re-fresh this thread and see if there were any additional people interested in signing up and if the people who have expressed interest are still going. I just renewed my NARRA membership (a whopping $25, but you have to be a member to register for the events) and will be signing up soon.

For after-race festivities, I "think" the plan is to possibly hit the drag strip one night (I'll probably skip that one, since they threw me off the 1 time I've been becasue I ran too fast in a vert) and then a get together at Scott's (GA VCA Pres) house on lake lanier. It will be a low-key affair with some food and drinks and hanging out by the pool. Maybe if enough people bug him, he'll give some rides in the boat. ;)

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm registered. :)

Where are the rest of you guys who are planning on coming?
I don't see anybody else listed as attendees yet though. Has nobody else signed up, or did you sign up and opt to pay later? Maybe they don't officially list you until you are paid?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456