Natural or Blown

bitya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the diff. power combo's that the members are using, would like your opinion's on what you feel would be the best for everyday use, including 1500-2500 mi weekend trips. This car is not used for drag or road racing.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Natural.Just throwing on blowers or nitrous with out doing a full motor prep is asking to severly shorten a motors life.A motor should be a complete package of proper parts, machining,oiling and cooling.Not a 10 second **** motor. Bruce

S

SUN RA KAT

stock 3.07 rear gear
Sean Roe smooth tubes with S&B filters
Corsa 3" Catback
Random Tech (or Sean Roe) Ultra high Cats
Belanger Headers
Lightweight Flywheel
Sean Roe clutch adjustment
Sean Roe fan & timer kit
Sean Roe Supercharger
MGW shift knob
North California Viper Club custom Viper floor & trunk mats
EBC green brake pads
Sean Roe VEC1

This is pretty much the set up that I have (except for the Sean Roe supercharger & VEC1). I drove 760+ miles from Blair, Nebraska to my home when I got my Viper all in a single day and was not exhausted after such a long trip. I'm adding the Sean Roe Supercharger to make the low end of 5th & 6th gear more usable at legal highway speeds. It will also add a lot to mid & top end power, too. I got 25 MPG and 22.5 MPG when I was limited to 2500 - 3000 RPM during the break in proceedure on my marathon drive home.
For everyday driving, including taking friends for spirited rides, I get 14-16 MPG.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bitya:
With all the diff. power combo's that the members are using, would like your opinion's on what you feel would be the best for everyday use, including 1500-2500 mi weekend trips. This car is not used for drag or road racing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're not drag racing or road racing you're a prime candidate for a nice S/C package. Just do some research, there are a few tuners offering such packages from mild to wild...

with n/a, your pounding your motor even at idle.. With a s/c package, your motor will actually work less 95% of the time due to lowering the compression if done properly..

If you have a '99 and earlier, you motor strong enough to handle just about any kind of power with the forged pistons and crank.

Regards,
Gerald

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, it just usually seems from my LIMITED knowledge that people ONLY interested in having their car fast on the 1/4 mile track go with the N20. It would also seem that a N/A package will be better for the road course with the power coming on more controllably...
smile.gif

But I"m not saying a blower car can't be awesome on the track OR road course
supergrin.gif

Gerald

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Bruce:
Natural.Just throwing on blowers or nitrous with out doing a full motor prep is asking to severly shorten a motors life.A motor should be a complete package of proper parts, machining,oiling and cooling.Not a 10 second **** motor. Bruce

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before Nitrous I made N/A 417rw,after 20 NOS bottles I made 437rw.Go figure Bruce.
Bitya, several name brand tuners have 500+rw N/A packages great for tooling around.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
It would also seem that a N/A package will be better for the road course with the power coming on more controllably...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With Sean Roe's Twin-Screw blower, the power/torque should be smooth and even throughout the powerband. This is the beauty of a twin-screw blower. Not peaky like single turbo's and most centrifugal S/C's. If memory serves, the dyno Sean posted looked very flat and smooth. Seems like a good candidate for those that road race. Although, a high-RPM built up N/A V10 would be the ultimate for road racing. But to make 600 RWHP like Sean's kit does with a high-RPM N/A motor will cost a fortune. The ORECA motors come to mind....

The only issue of concern is heat. Although the twin-screw type blower is very efficient, and doesn't generate hugh amounts of heat, even stock vipers sometimes struggle with heat issues with extented road racing. Making sure your cooling system is in tip-top condition is a must. Hopefully, this will not be an issue. I would think Sean has road raced the mule and worked out any heat problems, if any existed.

My .02

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc