Naturally Aspired VS Forced Introduction...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would like to know what everyones take on the different ways to make hp. I would think that when going with N/A power it would be better for the engine becuase you have stronger parts rather than adding extreme hp to the stock parts. So fill me in with why u think one is better than another.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok FWIW. N/A, Supercharged, Turbo or N2O, I think durability and dependability are directly related to the builder. The advantage to N/A that I see, is that there are fewer additional parts which translate to fewer things that can go wrong - very important to a road racer. But like I said, it’s up to the builder.

Regardless I gotta say, Levin’s superchargers are very tempting.
smile.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A drawback to N/A motors is that the compression is usually increased with stroke, etc. The motor will even pound itself even at idle.

With a S/C, N02, etc. the car can make even MORE power and still retain the total stock driveability of the car.
...somethings to consider...

Gerald

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow,

First off, Happy Thanksgiving!

Your question doesn't really have a definate answer in my opinion. Different methods of arriving at higher horsepower levels are another item of what makes us all different.

You have to choose what will make you happy. My personal opinion(because you asked) is as follows and Im very sure that some will disagree while others will somewhat agree and even others will agree, if you know what I mean.

To make naturally aspirated horsepower in a Viper (500+ Rear Wheel) will give you one very good sounding car. To make much more than that will require many extra dollars in modifications as 500 RWHP seems to be the plateau for bolt-on type modifications. As you increase static compression to achieve higher HP levels, you put more strain on the engine internals, even if you change internals to withstand higher pressures. Remember also that your engine will always be pounding on itself with these more extensive mods that are required to achieve 550+ RWHP. Bearings and rings are "sacrificial parts" that are designed to take the abuse of pounding compression and for that reason they just don't last as long once higher power levels are achieved. Again, this lends itself to the question of what are you looking for in your viper. High naturally aspirated horsepower will require more maintenance and will degrade driveability. Its a cold hard fact, ask any top fuel dragster maintenance chief how long their 6000 hp engines last........he'll tell you "four passes if they are lucky"

Options to the above include Supercharging, Turbocharging, Nitrous Oxide Injection, and even a combination of some of these.
The most powerfull vipers(on the dyno) seem to be Supercharged with nitrous oxide injection. These motors have had extensive work perfomed on their internals to handle the intense pressure and stress. This all adds up to Dollars spent. They definately demand respect as they sound incredible under boost and post incredible MPH numbers on the track. Again, these High performing Supercharged Nitrous Combination Vipers have proven to be high in maintenance as their packages are being sorted out through R & D.

I like Nitrous Oxide Injection bolted on top of a 500-530 RWHP Viper engine. Smaller cams are more computer friendly which lend themselves to good driveability. A well thought out "top end" job with nitrous will put you with the best of the best at most dragstrip outings and maintenance is very low as your internals are stock and can easily withstand the momentary bursts of incredible power. There are vipers equipped with nitrous oxide on a mildly modified engine that make in excess of 950 ft/lbs of Rear Wheel torque and 700-800+ rear wheel horsepower. This is the least expensive method of achieving high power with a decent running Viper when nitrous is not in use. The drawback to nitrous is that the bottle needs to be refilled after about 12-15 full 1/4 mile passes. This is the equivelant of dozens of traffic light romps, maybe even several weekends worth of them.

Again, let your originality and depth of your pocket will be your guide to modding your viper. I live every day as if it were my last, and I don't expect to take anything with me when I leave this planet. So, if I could afford it, Id have a liquid hydrogen rocket fuel injection system and JADO assist attached to my Viper........after all of my current mods.

Best of luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

97 GTS, BTR 750 SS PLUS, 680 RWHP @ 944 RWTQ, 10.30 at 140+ MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.