Need a little HELP. 99 RT/10 will not stay running without giving it gas...

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all I need a little help, My Viper has been sitting for about a year, I did not intend for it to be "stored" at that time so I never actually put it away properly and it was slow on fuel approx. 1/4 tank maybe. I changed the oil last week and tightened the valve cover gaskets and a few other maintenance things, cleaned her up, new tires etc. So I'd been charging me battery the past few days at 2 amps to try to revive it because it died in storage, it wouldn't take a charge so I replaced the battery yesterday with a brand new one (previously I was able to charge the battery enough once 3 days earlier and I drove the Viper about 2 miles but did not want to stop for gas in fear it would not start at the gas station so I can home to add gas from a gas can). SO after installing a new battery it won't stay running or idle, it stays running if I tap the gas but then it dies when it lowers the RPMs and returning what should be "idling". I added about 5 gallons of 93 octane so the gauge is between 1/4-1/2 tank currently. SO I thought old school must be a fuel filter, but I called the auto parts store and they say it's in with the fuel pump? I can't find my manual to save my life so I'd appreciate any help to get my baby running so I can enjoy this beautiful weather. I have a VEC 2 on it if that makes any difference.?

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After you change a battery, you should start the car, rev the engine to 2k rpm, hold it there for a sec and VERY SLOWLY back off the gas to idle. If I were you, I would disconnect the battery and try this, it's quick and easy, and a possible quick fix.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be several different issues, in order of probability here they go:

1. The PCM has not relearned IAT motor position. It takes a little time for the process.

2. The PCM has lost the throttle position. When you turn the key on, slowly move the pedal to the floor and slowly let it up. Do that a few times.

3, The IAT motor is faulty. If the car idles at start-up, however, dies when it get s hot, the IAT is probably OK. A scan tool will pin point a bad IAT.

4. Miscellaneous:

A, Battery
B. Open grounds
C. faulty O2's
D. Mechanical issues the IAT cannot keep up with.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You need to do an idle relearn, hold the pedal until the idle catches then let it idle for five minutes, then turn on the AC and let it idle for 5 minutes. That allows the computer to relearn the idle.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am going out now to pull the wheel and disconnect the battery. Then I will do what you all said about turning to acc and pushing the pedal slowly to the floor and letting off it a few time, then I will hold throttle to try to assist it to catch idle and hopefully we will see what happens. Should I possibly drive it around if this does not work by feathering the gas?

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disconnected the battery, reconnected it, put it back together. Did the acc with slow pedal presses and releases, started it about stalled out, so I reved to 2K rpm, backed down slowly and attempted to help it catch idle by lightly giving it gas, no deal. She dies on me every time. Won't stay idling.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am going to attempt to drive it around, do a few runs and see what happens? I'll just feather the gas at all the stops and hope it works itself out like some people have experienced? Other wise I'll need t5o hook it to a scan tool and see if anything shows up?

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys! After taking it out and running it for about 15 minutes with some stalling etc I managed to get it to idle correct again. I included some full throttle roll on runs and when I returned to my driveway it was idling nicely, so I turned on the AC for about 5 minutes to see if maybe that would help as someone suggested? Anyway so far so good, it idles nicely, took it out today for a nice cruise with my wife. Ahh it was GREAT to be driving it again! Never again will she sit that long! It's nice to be back! Thanks I owe you guys!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21