Need Help! Viper has No Power!

menglert3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 97 GTS has no electricl power of any kind, Door Lock, Lights, won't crank, nothing. I have checked everything, new Battery, charged battery, had PCM reflashed and checked, still nothing, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit new to the Viper but I'd suggest starting with a VOM and an elecrtical schematic.... Probably a bad fuse or fuse-link somewhere. Sorry, you're gonna have to take it apart to track it down. Start by figuring out where you do have power (start with the fuse boxes)turning everything off. Does it die when you turn the key on?? Try pulling out all the accessory fuses and turn the key again ..still no power anywhere?? then check each circuit for ground continuity . (one lead to chassis, the other on the fuse terminal) That'll tell which ckts. to delve into... no beeps from the meter means no problem. A beeb from the meter means the ckt is grounded (probably through a relay or a failed component). Electrical problems can be vexing if you're not used to troubleshooting 'em

If everything is dead, try looking at all ckts that are usually "hot" all the time (even when the car is off)..dome lite etc.., CHECK YOUR UPGRADED STEREO INSTALLATION.. amps etc.

Is the battery dying overnight??? If you live near NOVA I'd be happy to help find the problem

good luck..

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on what was said above. There is very little between dome lamps and the battery, but maybe something like a main fusible link. Do you have power at the Power Distribution Center - PDC - via a voltmeter check?

jdeft1... Man... Join the VCA. We need people like you.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You stated that you checked Bat power and charged Bat. I presume this means you HAVE Bat power. My 98 had "no power" available when the fuse in the Power Distribution Module was fried. My 2001 GTS has a fuse under the dash that says "guages" that disables all power to everything.

Your alarm system disables all power except it's own. When your alarm was on did the LED flash? It may be that your alarm is on (LED burned out?). Turn the alarm off manually. If you don't know how - send me a PM and I'll tell you how to do that - not for public knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Ted

OP
OP
M

menglert3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes I have battery power and power at the main Dist. Center, but nothing else, no lights locks ect.. It sounds like alarm system but no flashing dash light. Thanks for your comments.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... sounds like you need to take it to a dealer.. Do you have a service manual? The electrical drawings are pretty good but you have to know how to read 'em.... Likely you have a bad/grounded component that's popped a main. That's why I said to turn everything off.. Pull every fuse you can find and check for continuity..(probably did that already) anything popped?? if so, start there!!! ... sorry I can't help you if I can't see the car!!

V

Venomiss

See if the wizard has some ideas for you.
Call Chuck Tator
1-914-763-3136

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your main "Hot Wire" from the battery runs along the frame and connects directly to the starter It's possible the wire came lose from there or something. That's the first place to look. Then after confirming it is still connected and checking the voltage with a volt meter, follow the other large hot wire connected to tha same bolt and it has a bunch of fusable links on the other end. Use the volt/ohm meter to make sure they are still good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth