Help with power window

Ritroman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this club having moved over from the other club.
I have a passenger-side window regulator fail. It was repaired by Power Window Regulator Repair. I reinstalled the regulator but it will not move up or down. I hear a clicking sound from the box mounted in the door when I apply the window control. Both door handles function and the driver-side window works. The sound sounds like a relay clicking. The box on the passenger side door has 4 plugs that I think control the stereo and the door functions. The motor was tested by Power Window repair before shipping. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea how everything is wired for the window motors...maybe @Steve-Indy can help point you in the right direction for trouble shooting.

Random idea: @pokeyl (same user name on the other forum) was having an issue with one of his regulators on his Gen 3 (same basic design). This was his solution:

But all I needed was the motor so I swapped it into the old housing. Works perfect.

So if you have a Dead Motor, just buy a 2015 or newer challenger motor assy and put the new unit on your old housing. You don't have to remove the tracks! Bonus!

If you get stuck, this might be worth a try. Someone asked for a part number, but the site shut down before he could reply.

This might be it: https://www.amazon.com/Challenger-Drivers-Window-Regulator-Mopar/dp/B07T911P4X

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I recall one of our members saying that he had a problem with gears meshing following a splint type repair of a regulator...but, sadly, I am getting a 404 when tracking that thread. I will keep looking.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Steve M found the link that I could not access...AND, he kindly sent said link to me. THANK YOU Steve M !!

Since links don't always work or occasionally disappear, here is the text from DARKKNIGHT that MAY help:

"I had this same thing when I “proactively” did this to both doors in the Gen4 I had. Upon investigation I didn’t like the shallow gear mesh to the screw in the regulator as the metal laser cut split changed the OEM engagement.

What I did was basically cut the flat plate portion of the Viperstore Split out between the regulator and motor, so it allowed the gear to mesh deeper.

What you’re hearing is the motor gear teeth skip the spring under torque because they are less engaged.

Hard to explain via text, but after I did this I had zero issues."

Again, THANKS are owed to Steve M !!

OP
OP
R

Ritroman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it is the motor that is the problem. The company that repaired the regulator tells me they tested the motor before sending it out to me. However, the door control module is where the clicking sound is coming from. Also, the door control module gets warm when the window switch is held on. There must be a relay in this box that is in the lower door frame. I think that the broken window regulator hose may have caused the door control module to fail as the motor had to draw more power to move than it could handle.
I have ordered a new door control module (PN 05035186AD). Hopefully, this part exists. It looks like the part was superseded in 2015 and up Viper models.
I know very little about testing electrical devices. I will update the forum with the results of the part switch.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your motor is now under load. Maybe too much load depends on how easy the window moves by hand on the tracks. You should have lifted and lowered the window by hand to see how it glides.

Can't speak for the the repair company but if they are just running/testing the motor with no load (weight of window) motor is not tested. Motor with no load will draw 0.5A but with load 5A (just example ampere values).

OP
OP
R

Ritroman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the window working after replacing the passenger door control module. The module did have a burned chip and relay. Once I replaced the module the repaired window regulator works fine.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the window working after replacing the passenger door control module. The module did have a burned chip and relay. Once I replaced the module the repaired window regulator works fine.
Thanks for following up...glad you got it fixed!

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think the module was damaged by water? Mine failed and had evidence of water damage. Some film and tape and no way water can get to it.

OP
OP
R

Ritroman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the window control unit there are a lot of chips. One chip showed evidence of burning out and the relay cap once removed from inside showed black. There is no evidence of water being the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala