need help with wheel

Reaction score
Every 6 months or so I take the wheels off to give them a good cleaning and easier to grease the ball jts. Last night I dropped the wheel on its face on the driveway just kind of got away from me (at my age 65 that is the second thing that went). The extreme edge of the rim has little marks all the way around. I could not believe I did so much damage by just letting it lean over. After pricing one at dealer list 1500 buy it for 1000, I decided to try and buff it out. If I start with 2000 wet or 1500 can I sand out the marks and then polish it up. What procedure do you reco. What weight sandpaper and what kind of polishing compound to use. Thanks for the help. I know I will destroy the clearcoat as well by sanding. It is a 2006 coupe 5 spoke wheels. Thanks Rich in Morristown NJ.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are numerous wheel refinshers out there under $150, less clearcoat.
I think if your SEARCH you might read about personal experiences

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its a gen II polished wheel and it is only the rim then they are quite easy to do I had one that was a complete mess after a curb incident I started with a small electrice sander me call them mouse sanders with medium grit then used 360 wet and dry then 600 ending up with 1200 grit wet paper with a bar of soap then metal polish and finally a clear longlife polish then several coats of wax, honest, you could not see the damage.