Need some advice on repainting the front fascia and side sills

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Am going to repaint front fascia and side sills.
Was wondering whether anybody got some good advice ?

I have the color code. From what I heard something needs to be added to the paint in order to prevent cracking. Any specific name of a product + % that needs to be added to the mix ? Want to make sure I can give clear instructions to the paint shop.
Also, in view of the heat, do the side sills get the same treatment as the front fascia, or is there a special recipe for them ? (I am thinking about a magic fix to prevent them from turning yellow :) )

Thanks in advance for your input !

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted my side sills. It's amazing how far paint tech has come these days. A good paint application is almost idiot proof. But as has always been, prep is 95% of the job.

Dunno about the fascia.

My advice is to get or build some decent exhaust/filter system if you don't have a booth. The clearcoat will kill you as soon as you pull the trigger. If you find a home exhaust/filter setup let me know, I'm in the market for one.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yves,

I've done it twice actually on my GTS. Once when I switched to side pipe conversion which I quickly took back off (noise gets OLD). And once when my local stereo shop damaged them pulling them into the bay.

It seems after they were painted they chip really easy a couple weeks after they are painted. After a couple weeks went by, they would not chip anymore. Since the sidesills are constantly getting bombarded by small rocks and such I think it really needs to be sitting for a while before the paint hardens and regains full strength...

These are just my observations...And there's nothing more annoying that having fresh paint you think is dry chip 1 week after you think it's dry and full strength..

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
p.s.

How's live in Austria? I can't tell you how many times I've been there for skiing, castle visiting, etc. Just beautiful!

OP
OP
Y

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was actually going to do it before winter storage, so that should help the drying process (could even leave the parts inside the house during winter).

What about the product that needs to be added to help 'stretch' the paint ?

Gerald, haven't seen you around in a while. Been hanging out with the bad boys in the Alley ? :)

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know about the side sills, but the front need flex additive added to the primer so it doesn't crack.

Bill

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know about the side sills, but the front needs a flex additive added to the primer so it doesn't crack.

Bill

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any good paint shop will know that the facia needs flex additive in the primer and paint. If you are doing it yourself just ask the guy (or gal) at the automotive paint store you use. I've painted several motorcyles and the guys at the paint store have been very knowledgeable. I will be painting the front facia on mine sometime this fall also.
By the way, the service manual says you have to disconnect the hood release cables and remove the bolts holding the oil cooler to the frame and let it hang. Is this really necessary?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood release lever - yes. Oil cooler - no. Only 2 small screws holding the release lever on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang