Gen1 front fascia removal hints?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really didn't intend to get this far into it....
In a previous thread, I had asked about oring sizes for the AC condenser (thanks again Steve!). This weekend, I started pulling out the radiator to get the condenser, when i noticed a coolant leak. One thing led to another, and I ended trying to remove the fascia to get to the overflow tank (never got to the condenser)
As I understand it, I can pull the fascia by removing the 5 screws along each fender well, the 11 screws, and the plugs between the headlamps and under the crosshairs. Are there are additional hidden fasteners i need to remove, or maybe clips/plugs? I can't seem to peel the corner of the fascia over the wheelwell. Do I need to *really* pull hard?(I'm afraid I might crack the paint if I pull too hard). I think I'm committed to pulling it now, as some sort of shim dropped inside the fascia, so I'll need to recover it, as well as get to the overflow tank.
Thanks,
Mike

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I did this on my mom's 94, but I don't recall anything particularly odd about it. I believe there were just bolts along the top edge under the hood lip and on the bottom. I don't know that I even remember anything in the middle. I did have to unplug the foglights as well. I think the top edge goes over a lip, so you might have to lift up the center a little to get it to pull back. Almost like rolling it off the top if that makes any sense. I'd have to go look at her car again to see if it jogs my memory though. I was going after the coolant bottle as well as she had a drip and I had read about the bottle getting pierced from the ***** right under it, but hers looked fine. I just had to siphon out some fluid to get it to normal level and it's been fine ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found out what my issue is/was. So, there is another one of those Xmas tree plugs and a ***** in the fascia, under each headlight; I'm really glad I did not just try to yank the thing off!
The ***** is under the Xmas tree, which makes it hard to turn(there is no straight shot to the ***** head, so I'm trying to be careful not not to strip them). You think these are necessary to replace, as they look impossible to get to...

Attachments

• 20210919_155636.jpg
    20210919_155636.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently, the letters "s", "c", "r", "e", and "w" are not allowed to be strung together, even when the combo refers to mechanical attachment device.....

BlackWidow

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dam filter can't determine intent, go figure.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update/close this out...
There is a ***** and Christmas tree fastener holding the fascia under each headlight. They are a minor PITA to get at.

The overflow tank is common to the D150 pickups and other trucks. I put some tape marks on the tank so I could directly check the level from the view port. I also inserted some tubing into the tank through the overflow outlet, so I could pull it out through the inspection port and add fluid to the tank without unclamping the line from the pressure tank. I think it'll be less work if I need to add fluid to the tank, and it won't affect things if the tank overflows.

FWIW, it takes 24oz to reach the min line with an empty tank. It takes an additional 34oz to go from min to max.

Attachments

• 20211003_193759.jpg
    20211003_193759.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211003_191014.jpg
    20211003_191014.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 9