Need time/labor estimate for ring & pinon change + speedo adjustment

GALA-96-GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I stopped by the local Dodge dealership yesterday, and wanted to get a work estimate for my 96 GTS:

1) change the pinon gear and ring from stock to 3.55
2) connect the speed odometer adjustment kit

After about 15 minutes of waiting they finally came back and said the Viper tech had never performed this before, but he thinks they might have to take off the entire back end. They went through their time estimate book but could not find this process listed.

I know that a lot of you have had this type of work done before, and I was wondering if any of you could recall the amount of time it should take in order to accomplish this switch.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone regrets going with the 3.55 instead of maybe a 3.45 or 3.33.

Thanks for your help.

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume the price would stand for this regardless of the ratio you go with (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but when I put my 3:73's in at Valaya... I do believe it was in the neighborhood of $1100 out the door. I am actually switching to go with the 3:55's when I get the Roe Supercharger put in... good choice.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go somewhere that knows the car. The entire process is in the service manual, and yes they have to pull the back half of the exhaust and drop the Diff. I don't know what you mean by pulling back end of car off, but what I've described is a severly simplified version. Just buy the factory Mopar Performance Diff w/3.55 gears and have it swapped out, it's going to cost you within $150 of doing what your describing. Additionally you'll have your untouched OEM Diff/3.07 gear setup if you want to swap back. The whole 3.55 Diff can be had for around $1,100 new if you look hard. Good Luck

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1,100 is a reasonable price out the door for an OEM gear set/ bearings with installation. I'll bet his dealer will charge over $2,000+

OP
OP
G

GALA-96-GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was hoping this was a simple 2-3 hour job, but it sounds like it may be a 8-12 hours.

Parts Rack has a pretty good price on the 3.55 ratio ring and pinion gear, and their speed odometer adjustment is about 1/2 the price of the ring/gear kit. It looks like parts will run me about $650 and labor anywhere between $500 to $1400.

I think I am going to hold off until Uncle Sam decides to send me back some of my hard earned money.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The process is two part:

Remove the differential and reinstall, this is about a 4-6 hour job if the car hasn't been apart before.

Secondly, you have to get the new ring/pinion installed in a differential. The ring/pinion material cost is about $300-400. The installation of the ring and pinion is about $300. The best way to do the job is to buy a complete differential prior to any work. Get the ring/pinion installed in the extra rear assembly first, then take it to the dealer.

Most dealers don't have someone that is a ten changing the ring and pinion(they do it too seldom). Find a corvette specialty speed shop, the differential assembly is the same as the C5. Try Paul Suloff (this board, he had a complete 3.55 available a couple of months back.

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just keep your stock! I made the horrible mistake of prancing away with my nice 3:73's... now possibling paying to go back to stock when I do the power adder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte