need tire help and opinion

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello all, i was looking for an opinion on tires. my car has the original tires its a 97 gts, 4100 miles. they have great tread, not dry rotted, but seem a little hard, possibly adding to a harsher than normal ride. would anyone here change them just from age? or am i crazy. i am not opposed to changing them, but dont want to throw away money either. if i would replace, what is the best tire to use. i dont drive it in the rain ( if i can help it), dont track it, and dont push it to the outer limits either. treadwear is not an issue as they would probably last another 7 years.i am not trying to save money on a tire purchase just want the best for safety, comfort and handling. also, i am taking my stereo back to stock, anyone have an amp bracket for sale. i already posted in our classifieds under wanted.thanks, rich.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich --

I would invest in new tires. The Michelin rep told our club that tires that were 6 years old or older were suspect.

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's safer to change tires every 4 years regardless of tread. They harden with age reducing your ability to stop in short distances the older they get.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get new Michelin Pilots don't take a chance driving with old tires. The properties aren't there anymore. Plus you don't want to create an acccident like I did with old hardend tires. New tires will stick better and ride much better.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Rich,

Find a good parking lot and SMOKE THOSE OLD TIRES UP! See Nadine's avatar for a good picture and try to replicate.
Then get some new tires - those old tires can be dangerous. JonB / Partsrack usually has the best prices.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can send them to me and I'll gladly "liquify" them for ya!!! The old hard ones actually shred!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_