New and HID Installation last night

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am relatively new here as I just picked up my MY98 GTS with the N/A SVS Stage 1 upgrade from Bernie Katz at BJMotors. Awesome guy by the way. Some of you might remember me from about 7 years ago back when I had my old 93 RT/10 that was beat to hell and back from the previous owner. They didn't even have the UBB then. I am glad to be back..

Anyway, last night I installed the Promax 8000k HIDs last night and wanted to let everyone know the results. For one, it took approximately 25 minutes total and I am extremely impressed with the results. It would have been quite a bit quicker if I would have had 2 zipties in my hand. After driving my old S2000 for the past 6 years, I can't stand normal bulb lights so I had to replace them with HIDs. The promax kit comes with a bulb, ballasts and a mounting bracket. Unfortunately, the mounting bracket won't work on our cars since it is too big to fit in the headlight case. I ended up just using a ziptie for each ballast as tight as I could get it. I don't hear any rattles or anything, which is good obviously. No wiring, no extra work, just plug and play. They look great although my headlights need adjusting (which I will do tonight.) I guess I didn't realize how off they were when they were normal headlights (the drivers side is too far to the right and the passenger side is too high.) I will post some pictures soon.

NOTE: I do not know how good these are as far as reliability as I have only put them in last night. My friend put them in about a year ago in his lexus and has not had a problem at all as of yet (that is the main reason I got them for the viper.)

Here is a link to the ones that I have although they do look a little different than the ones in the pictures (ballasts are just silver on mine)..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8000K-McCulloch-Promax-HID-Xenon-Conversion-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ014QQitemZ330025658327QQrdZ1

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Corn,

I talk to Bernie from time to time and he was going to sell me that car, at a GREAT price but I was worried about emissions with all the mods, do you have emissions where you are?

He is a great guy and always has great cars.

OP
OP
C

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Corn,

I talk to Bernie from time to time and he was going to sell me that car, at a GREAT price but I was worried about emissions with all the mods, do you have emissions where you are?

He is a great guy and always has great cars.

Hey Crom.. Oregon is good about that sort of thing. No sales tax and no emissions make me want to stay here for a long time (after living my entire life in Cali.) Man, the car is incredible and in immaculate condition. I was looking at getting a 2000 ACR as I was about to send a check to them but when I hooked up with Bernie, I ended up going with his car. I definitely would have been sad if you got it before me. haha. 5000 miles on the car and at a very good price, it was hard to pass up. Anyway, Bernie is a very good guy and was easy to deal with. He made my car shopping easy :) Matter of fact, when I am ready to get another viper, I am going with him.

:2tu:

Where are you located at? Are the emissions laws there extremely strict?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, Bernie's place is located an hour or so from me. I was very tempted to get the car but emissions is a bugger here and well, I'm a wus and was a little affraid of the mods. The car was very well documented and it was from Bernie. I did get a really good deal on my current car though.