new flash for 08 viper

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was built in December 2007 and I currently have about 1,600 miles on it with no problems thus far (knock on wood). Per Mark Jorgensen, my assumption is to not do the reflash in these circumstances.

/Rich
my car build date is 4/18/08 i agree dont do reflash unless it acts up.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reflash was not a big deal. I took mine in as per my last post and the reflash took less than an hour. I had no issues with the car to begin with and have had none since the flash.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reflash was not a big deal. I took mine in as per my last post and the reflash took less than an hour. I had no issues with the car to begin with and have had none since the flash.

Doc --

Thanks, it's nice to know that the procedure is "outpatient". :) Nevertheless, I am a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke" philosophy so I think I will hold off until a problem arises.

/Rich

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it yesterday with 9 miles on it, cleared by itself, after 10 more miles of driving. Did it today with 112 miles on it and would not clear. Showed both electrical problem and check engine light, shut down to 2500 rpm max. Limped to dealer, read 5 codes, cleared them and car runs fine again. They said let us see what happens next week.
Picture how embarrasing it is doing 30mph on a highway that every one else doing 65 to 75...

Yea u r right in looking back it was pretty amusing as mine shut down on the hwy and getting much past 40mph was not possible... before i could pull off i had cars and trucks coming right up on my tail and then glaring as they went by....one teenager even looked at me as if to say "such a looser"

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my 08 Coupe reflashed.They took the computer out and sent it to SRT(overnight)back in a day,they reflashed it and the car now runs excellent.I did not have any problems with it,but it does run better with better throttle response.So,if you have a 08 and it has not been reflashed,go to a dealer and get it done and don,t think about anymore.This is my 3rd.Viper,and it is so much nicer than the others.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my 08 Coupe reflashed.They took the computer out and sent it to SRT(overnight)back in a day,they reflashed it and the car now runs excellent.I did not have any problems with it,but it does run better with better throttle response.So,if you have a 08 and it has not been reflashed,go to a dealer and get it done and don,t think about anymore.This is my 3rd.Viper,and it is so much nicer than the others.
how many miles did you have when you took it for the reflash,i thought they just hook up the program there at the dealership and reflash it.

Reaction score
The flash in the new Venom controller is VERY sensitive the first time it is done. It can be locked up and at that point would have to shipped to Chrysler for the re-boot and flash. Not a big deal but a couple days to do. After the initial flash though any updates that may come out down the line will be much easier.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I will ask to a qustion here that I (and probably others who have an 08) would like to know the answer to. Does anyone know how many 08's are affected? Vin#'s? I read on here that someone with an 08 built in March and delivered in April needed a re-flash. My car is exactly the same time frame as that. I would rather not go pick up my 08 at Tator's to drive the 100 miles back to my home to learn the hard way that it needs the re-flash. There has to be a better way to determine if your 08 needs this done than to just go find out the hard way. JMHO.

Reaction score
Ok, I will ask to a qustion here that I (and probably others who have an 08) would like to know the answer to. Does anyone know how many 08's are affected? Vin#'s? I read on here that someone with an 08 built in March and delivered in April needed a re-flash. My car is exactly the same time frame as that. I would rather not go pick up my 08 at Tator's to drive the 100 miles back to my home to learn the hard way that it needs the re-flash. There has to be a better way to determine if your 08 needs this done than to just go find out the hard way. JMHO.

Dealers can run a "function" on your cars VIN and tell you if it is affected. If the car is at the dealer still they will check this before they push it out the door. I bet Chuck will have everything ready when you pick her up. :2tu:

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At what point is it determined to change the pcm. It has happened to me twice and clearing the codes corected it. But that does not seem like the answer, it is only putting a temp solution on it.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers can run a "function" on your cars VIN and tell you if it is affected. If the car is at the dealer still they will check this before they push it out the door. I bet Chuck will have everything ready when you pick her up. :2tu:

Mark -- I would like to e-mail my Viper tech with my VIN and ask if this is something I need to get done. How does the Chrysler computer database describe this problem and the fix so my tech will know what to look for? Thanks!

/Rich

Reaction score
Mark -- I would like to e-mail my Viper tech with my VIN and ask if this is something I need to get done. How does the Chrysler computer database describe this problem and the fix so my tech will know what to look for? Thanks!

/Rich

Rich,

Man I hate being a workaholic but send me the last 8 of your VIN, it should start like 8V... and I will get on line now and let you know. I'm at home of course but can access this so you can sleep. ;-)

[email protected]

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No incident since they cleared the codes at the dealer at 112 miles. There were 5 codes there.

Today at 232 miles check engine light and electric symbol came on, shut car down to 2500 rpm... read code, 1 only P2107, cleared the code , lights off, ran normal

Drove car again at 237 miles electric symbol ONLY, car drove normal,........... have just cleared codes again, have not driven

Any Ideas...