New guy here

jimmy8541

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to everyone on the forum. Im not curently a viper owner but am seriously thinking about it. My last toy was a 03 Cobra moderately modded. It was stolen in Oct. of 2004 and after taking a year off Im in the market for a new sports car, I loved my Cobra but am looking for something a little more excusive. I have narrowed my choices down to a 03-04 ZO6 or a 96-99 GTS. I know these 2 cars are totaly different animals but I think that not knowing alot about the Viper makes my decision more difficult. That is why I am here, to learn. Hopefully you guys can dispell some of the rumors that I have heard about vipers.

OP
OP
J

jimmy8541

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im looking for an eye catching car with loads of power and lots torque. Something durable that can be taken to the strip every now and then. Iwould like around550-600rwhp with N2O. But I would also like the car to be able to cruise.

Negatives that I have heard:
ride is rough
interior fit and finish poor for the price
aftermarket exhaust note is disgusting
not as fast as advertised
maintnace is very expensive

Before you flame me realize that my exposure to vipers is very limited. I don't know anyone that has one and never see them on cruise nights if I do they are driving by.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im looking for an eye catching car with loads of power and lots torque. Something durable that can be taken to the strip every now and then. Iwould like around550-600rwhp with N2O. But I would also like the car to be able to cruise.

ride is ruff
aftermarket exhaust note is discusting

Before you flame me realize that my exposure to vipers is very limited. I don't know anyone that has one and never see them on cruise nights if I do they are driving by.

Where are you from Jimmy? Most of the guys here would be happy to invite you to a VCA event or even give you a ride in their Viper.

There is some truth to most of the negatives you've listed to a certain degree. No car is perfect, but the positive outweighs the negative 10 folds. Have you heard what the positives are in having a Viper? If not, I'll let my other brothers here elaborate.

The ride is a bit more rough on bad roads, even more so on ACR's or if dropped an inch or so. The fit and finish is so-so. The 99-02 seem to have better fit and finish, and the newer Gen3's are even better. Most people think the stock exhaust sounds like an UPS truck, so that's usually the first mod people do. There are many combinations of parts that will generate many different sounds.

As for fast... it IS FAST! Scary fast! If you're not a good or careful driver, it will show (on the evening news, if you know what I mean). It's one of the few cars which is often accompanied with "you might want to consider going to a performance driving course" when you buy it. As for maintenance, avoid the Viper Tax (being gouged by people who think you must be rich if you have a Viper). A reputible ViperTech is very reasonably priced, and much, MUCH less than a eurotrash exotic. Example: Front/rear brake change-$300, oil change-$175. Not as cheap as Jiffy Lube, but thank god it's NOT Jiffy Lube. Even better, if you're good with tools, Vipers are easy to work on and can save you even more money.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your search.

OP
OP
J

jimmy8541

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Miami Florida. When and where is the next event if someone wants to give me a ride I'll be there. :2tu:

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just sold my 03 Z06 last month and I'm searching for the right viper. I will own one in the next 60 days. I will most likely buy one from another state, fly there and drive back home. Makes for a memorable bonding ride/trip. I'm hoping to hook up w/ some Viper ppl on the drive back home. I most likely will do this w/ 2-3 Vipers over the next 2-3 yrs until I settle on one I like. One thing is for sure, they will be GEN II's. I bought my last 2 Vettes like this and it is a great trip you won't forget. :usa:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang hit it on the head. Find a VCA event or Viper owner near you and go for a ride. The Viper is a totally different than the Vette, you'll find that out pretty quickly.

Vipers in the range you are looking at are firming up in price as well... past the **** in depreciation curve.

If you look, you'll likely be able to find a GTS for sale with both the Corsa exhaust and Eibach springs which totally remove two of you "potential issues". Although, once you punch the go pedal, you'll understand why the ride is a bit stiff.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Miami Florida. When and where is the next event if someone wants to give me a ride I'll be there. :2tu:

That's easy, give Doug Levin a call:

Doug Levin Motorsports
349 N.W. 170 Street
North Miami Beach FL 33169

Phone: 305-249-RACE
Fax: 305-249-VIPER

OP
OP
J

jimmy8541

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This forum is better than I thought, it seems like there are some really good guys here(and no one has taken any shots at my Cobra yet.)LOL

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '03 Cobra when they first came out for about 5 months, then traded it back to Woodhouse for a near new '01 Viper GTS (146 miles on the odometer). the '03 Cobra was great and the mods/inexpensive power available is impressive. The Viper is a bit more expensive parts-wise, but the head turning, car pulling over, waves and smiles you get is priceless!

Good luck, I'm trying to get back into a Viper, miss the '01 Sapphire beauty.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ride is rough
aftermarket exhaust note is disgusting
-------------------------------------------------------

My replies would be:

-Ride is not like a Mercedes or Cadillac! But it's a great combination of Track and Street.
-interior fit and finish is OK,actually might just be PERFECT for The Viper!. but easily improved by going to this site www.mgwltd.com, and others if you are not happy with it.
-aftermarket exhaust note can be just MEAN, very distinctive as well. But NOT like your average V8 (thank God :D )

-Faster and more power than advertised. Owns the Road Course, owns the 1/4 mile, standing mile and Street. Many here have gone much faster Totally Stock that advertised by the paid advertisers.

-Maint. is not cheap, but that also depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to your Cobra, Yeah, Vipers are Way more expensive. But prices have really come down over the last few years.

Go for a ride in a Viper and then go for a ride in a ZO6 and you'll see the difference.
Then take it out for a night and see another difference!

And don't forget, Vipers hold their value Better than anything!

Good luck! Enjoy the search for your next new toy! :2tu:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck with your snake hunt!

One ride in a Viper was all it took to sell my split window. Cobra will be history in no time!

:nana:

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

<font color="red">"If the Viper had hands, it would rip your heart out, show it to you while it was still beating, then devour it right in front of you."</font>

Buy the Viper and get ready to be tamed.... :2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This forum is better than I thought, it seems like there are some really good guys here(and no one has taken any shots at my Cobra yet.)LOL

Oh... there ARE those types here, and they get a lot more attention than they should, but for the most part, people here are great. I've been on many other car forums, and they don't even compare to the quality of the people here. I really think it's because the Viper taps all walks of life. It's exotic (unlike the vette) and affordable (unlike Lambos and Ferarris). I know both billionaires and everyday schmoes that love their Vipers just the same.

To top it off, it's faster than 99.44% of the cars on the street, stock.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that your Cobra got ripped off. :( A lot of Viper owners have owned Vettes including myself. If you can do it get the Viper. You'll be very happy that you did. Like others have already stated go to a local VCA meeting as the members will be happy to show their cars and answer your questions. :D

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome!

Here is a list of questions that I use:
1. What dealer was the Viper originally or last purchased from?
2. What is the current mileage?
3. Is it still under factory warranty? (what was the "in service" date?) Extended warranty?
4. Is the original window sticker available?
5. Do you have any of the original sales documentation?
6. What type of maintenance and / or repairs have been done to the car? (Records?)
7. Who performed / performs the repairs / maintenance?
8. When was the last service performed and what did it entail?
9. Does it have the stock radio?
10. Is there ANY curb rash on ANY of the wheels?
11. Has the car been driven in the rain? (cleanliness of the underside and wheel wells)
12. Are there equal gaps at the bottom sides of the hood, where the hood sides meet the top of the rocker panel? (just behind the front wheels) Pictures?
13. Are there equal gaps at the front "leading edge" sides of the hood where it meets the front bumper? (outermost front edge, towards the rear of the headlights) Pictures?
14. Are there ANY scrapes to the front spoiler? (under the car, black lip spoiler)
15. Are there ANY scrapes to the front fascia? (body colored front end, underneath)
16. Under the front of the car, have the leading or front portion of the front frame rails been scraped / bottomed out?
17. Are there any scratches, dents, scrapes to the inside door jambs (black painted areas)?
18. Are there any scrapes, dings, chips, etc to the rocker panel sides OR their undersides?
19. Does the A/C blow cold?
20. Do all switches and accessories operate properly?
21. Are there any fine cracks or surface spider-webbing cracks in / on the hood?
22. Will the hood stay up on its own?
23. Are the side bolsters of the seats (drivers in particular) showing any wear?
24. Do the doors close cleanly and flush and open without "dropping down" / sagging when opening? (sign of weak hinges)
25. Is the Viper garage kept?
26. Why are you selling?
27. What is your age?
28. What major city are you near?

Here is a checklist that John Slaughter came up with several years ago:

Used Viper Questions:
General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&amp;N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?) Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes - painted or vinyl) Interior mods?
3. Nature of radio / CD player (stock, single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both? Condition of each
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover? Side windows? (Gen1)
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, (telltale signs) etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork? DOCUMENTATION AND HISTORY of maintenance and sale(s) / owner(s)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside, chips, yellowing, sandblasted)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges keep hood up?
20. Doors close well (no drooping / sagging-bad hinges)

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)
3. Delivery

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are other differences (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR &amp; GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII
ABS added in 2001
Forged pistons deleted in 2000
Lumpy cam deleted in 2000

GOOD LUCK!