new help with GTS pricing

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

It's been a few years since I've had a Viper. my last was a 97 GTS and before that was a 94 RT/10.

Just recently I saw a graphite colored GTS pass me by and I really got the itch to get another. Damn these things look sick when they pass you on the road. There really is no other car like it. After almost 20yrs I still find that Gen 1 & 2 body style hard to beat.

I started looking and came across a 99 Silver GTS with 15K miles. Completely stock other than Borla cat back. I've been out of the loop on pricing lately and have no idea what's fair anymore. It seems like people aren't getting asking prices these days but at the same time I dont want to insult anyone.

I was asked to 'make an offer' if interested. i do want the car - so what's fair??

I appreciate any input form anyone

thanks

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my 97 GTS, i'd say for a 99 GTS, 15k miles.. prolly looking like 34-36k

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This time of year, unfortunately, you can find a GTS with under 30K miles for $28K or less. They are like the housing market, depressed!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tim,

let me know if you wanna go look at it. im always up for that. as much as id like to hear silver GTS's selling for big bucks, its just not going to happen. too many good deals out there. im with paul, most likely in the 30K or less range

PS, same cell number as i have always had

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This time of year, unfortunately, you can find a GTS with under 30K miles for $28K or less. They are like the housing market, depressed!

this time of year? Like when the air has a nice chill but only in the mornings... LOL

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More like buyers bank accounts have the Big Chill! I'm looking for a high mileage or track car GTS to convert to a street/drag car. I'll find one by Jan for under $25K. Not what I expected when I bought my 96 GTS new!!!!!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck trying to buy a GTS for under 27K. IMO isn't going to happen. I've been following these for a long time. Us "up North" People have to understand that just because we aren't driving our cars doesn't mean the southerners are not. This is prime time to buy and ship down south. I don't think your going to steal a Viper because some poor old sole can't afford to keep it stored in their garage all winter :nono:

I am sure you can find someone desperate, but that will always happen. If you see one buy it quick! I passed up on two that I am kicking my self for still!

Oh well. Still love seeing my ole' GTS in the garage. I don't think too many people will be heart broken to not sell.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is this hidden mecca of sacred low-mile Vipers selling for sub-$30k?

IDK either, but let me know so I can point people that-a-way when they try lowering me down.

And to what Tim721 said I don't think its ever out of the question to low-ball someone. Low ball, not insult though. You never know where someone stands on price. They may figure they bought the car new and are losing so much already they don't care, or may think they lost so much they don't want to lose another penny.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just shopped for a GTS for two months and sure didn't come across any 15k mile '99 GTS for anything near $30k, let alone sub-$30k. Anything in that price range will have some combination of high mileage, wear, stories, and/or high number of owners. You'll be getting a great deal if you pay mid-30s for a clean 15k mile '99 GTS. I would imagine the seller is wanting to get at least high-30s, maybe low-40s. Black cars also seem to bring more money. Red or yellow seems to offer better deals.

Careful with low-balling. There is a fine line between hard negotiation and ******* someone off. Some owners are very proud and won't hesitate to hold a grudge if you insult them. I've seen it first-hand. Going too low can be a quick way to ruin negotiations with some sellers. You have to be willing to completely walk away if you play that game.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and you wonder why our cars values are dropping. We keep shooting oursleves in the foot by thinking they aren't worth ****. I wouldn't sell mine for anywhere near $30k. Everyone needs to band together and the prices will go backup

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
and you wonder why our cars values are dropping. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot by thinking they aren't worth ****. I wouldn't sell mine for anywhere near $30k. Everyone needs to band together and the prices will go backup

ditto, Vipers are limited production cars, we control our own destiny by talking down on the value.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is good to see a few of the last posters have some brains. Mine has way less than 15k on it but I would not let it go for anything near the prices listed in this thread. Clean low mile cars are REALLY hard to find. 15k sounds like it is still in the low mileage range. Not saying it couldn't be already beat but there is plenty of potential for it to be a super clean car.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck trying to buy a GTS for under 27K. IMO isn't going to happen.

Unfortunately it does happen. Friend of mine just picked up a 94 with a Roe for $23. 40K miles. It does happen....again unfortunately for us Gen 1/2 owners.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't really compare pricing of a '94 Gen I RT/10 to a '99 (updated) Gen II GTS... market pricing reflects they're not comparable. Even comparing an RT/10 to a GTS of the same year typically reflects a ~$5k difference with all else being equal. The only Gen II GTS cars I found legitimately selling under $30k were a silver '98 with ~40k miles, accident history, and a fair amount of front end body work, along with a red '01 that had 60k miles on it, associated wear and a high number of owners. I think one sold for $28k and the other for $29k, both with motivated sellers.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately it does happen. Friend of mine just picked up a 94 with a Roe for $23. 40K miles. It does happen....again unfortunately for us Gen 1/2 owners.

Gen 1 < Gen 2 you can't compare the boat ancor motor'd cars vs the engine out of the Gen 2. When i was looking for one ya you can get a Gen 1 for sub 30k all day long. move up to Gen 2, you are looking 30+, then you bump up to the GTS and its even more.

hell the Gen 1 cars had plastic windows and you are gonna compare prices to a GTS?!?!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I pulled the wrong quote. Meant to pull the one about "mecca of sacred low-mile Vipers" and instead pulled the one citing the GTS. I agree, you don't get GTSs that low, but they do move in the 29-31 zone (again unfortunately for us GTS owners).

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree you CAN get a GTS for 29-31 but not 15K miles. As most know I will take 29K for mine with 58K. I get calls almost everyday, but nobody too serious. Everyone thinks they are going to steal one up north this time of year.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree you CAN get a GTS for 29-31 but not 15K miles. As most know I will take 29K for mine with 58K. I get calls almost everyday, but nobody too serious. Everyone thinks they are going to steal one up north this time of year.

for sure, I just bought my 97 GTS with 30,000 miles on it. i did not get it for sub 30, and i tried! lol

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tim721...I don't blame you for starting this thread, it's a good idea for someone that's been away from vipers for a while.

That being said...it never ceases to amaze me what viper owners state as fact...

guy with a black viper says...'black vipers bring more $'...
guy with a GTS says...'GTSs bring more $'...
guy with a stock viper says...'Stock vipers bring more $'...
guy with a modded viper says 'Modded vipers bring more $'...

They state this like it's a fact. I've never seen one iota of real scientific, quantifiable research that would back up any of these claims/opinions. Vipers are a low production car...they will bring whatever a buyer wants to spend...period.

Please don't reply to this with I bought my viper for so and so or my buddy bought one for so and so or I heard someone bought one for so and so. Unless you have real sales data for 100+ vipers in your hand, then it's all just speculation.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had one place tell me "its red, thats rare they only made 447 that year!" i was like dude.. red is the most common color.. LOL

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you read my post? I'm not looking to steal someones car! "I'm looking for a high mileage or track car GTS to convert to a street/drag car." I'd like to find a theft recovery, light salvage, ex race car or a car with a bad motor priced accordingly. I don't expect to find a 15K mile car for for under $25K. I'm looking for a well used car as a starting point. Wouldn't expect to buy Timnineside's car for under $25K.
I agree the market is $26 to $30K for a decent useable car. But if you follow dealer auctions they sell for mid 20 regularly.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tim721...I don't blame you for starting this thread, it's a good idea for someone that's been away from vipers for a while.

That being said...it never ceases to amaze me what viper owners state as fact...

guy with a black viper says...'black vipers bring more $'...
guy with a GTS says...'GTSs bring more $'...
guy with a stock viper says...'Stock vipers bring more $'...
guy with a modded viper says 'Modded vipers bring more $'...

They state this like it's a fact. I've never seen one iota of real scientific, quantifiable research that would back up any of these claims/opinions. Vipers are a low production car...they will bring whatever a buyer wants to spend...period.

Please don't reply to this with I bought my viper for so and so or my buddy bought one for so and so or I heard someone bought one for so and so. Unless you have real sales data for 100+ vipers in your hand, then it's all just speculation.

I hate to say it but most of the above is true with the exception of modded Vipers selling for more money. That said, "some" modded Vipers do. I have seen some TT cars going for 6 figures but I suspect they have to be done right etc...

Also, it is not just black, most of the rarer/more desirable/one year only colors such as Sapphire, Graphite, Black and I think Yellow demand a premium. Red is definitely the most widely available and easiest to get a deal on. No offense to the red owners.

When I hear all these people saying how cheap and abundant quality Vipers/GTS's are I say go buy them. I know for a fact how hard it is to find a quality Viper as it was not that long ago I looked for mine and still follow the market. Yes, there are some deals out there but most are crap IMHO. That said everybody has different opinions on what a quality car is. I know from hearing people say how their vehicle is top quality and then I see it and realize that most people do not have the same standards that I do.

You gotta love these price threads. My advice is to give somebody like Bernie or one of the other Viper sales people a call to get a good idea of the market. Of course you can probably get them a few g cheaper if you find one privately but not much.

Good luck with your search.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man reading this thread is depressing.... $30k for a 15k mile GTS..... might as well wreck it and make a claim through insurance.... even the KBB on my car is in the $40's..... and we all know KBB ***** @$$!!!!

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got our red w/silver 97 GTS with 21K miles on it for $31K back in April. Yeah I know, the silver stripes weren't factory for that year. Had the original rear tires on it which we replaced wih PS2's. Solid car with a clean history. There were three available in the low 30's when we bought this one. Looking for a sapphire blue GTS next year. That's gonna cost a bit more!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang