New here. Wanted to introduce myself and have a few Viper questions.

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just joined the site and wanted to create a thread to simply introduce myself. I have a 2000 year model RT/10. Have had it for about a year now and it's got to that time where I've become interested in modifications. So naturally, I joined VCA figuring this is the best place to meet and discuss with people who have lots of experience in the area of modifying a Viper.

A little bit about what I have in mind: not really going to focus on power at this moment as I'm still very satisfied with the stock power, however, I am interested in doing things for traction. I've browsed a few threads on here as a guest in the past and it seems that the way to do this is either a better differential or a TCS. I know that you Viper purists out there would rather die than put a TCS in your car, but I am actually very open to the idea. Simply want to get your thoughts about the different brands who make quality parts and shops who do quality work for what I'm looking to do to my Viper at the moment. Oh, and my name is Matt.

Thanks everyone!

And no, I did not forget the pics! ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome Hyno

1st off, looks like you are running ps1's. they are probably past their prime amd new ps2's would help the traction issue measurably

2nd, talk to mark j at woodhouse, he sells and installs a traction device (don't remember the name right now)

do you at least have hiflows for the heat factor?

:drive:

OP
OP
H

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^

I actually sent mark j an email a little earlier today to inquire about the RaceLogic TCS. From reading other threads here as a guest, it seems it works well on the Gen IIIs, but I haven't seen any stories about how it performs on the Gen IIs. Waiting to hear back from him. As far as the hiflows are concerned, my Viper is 110% stock. So unless Vipers come with them from the factory, no, I don't have them. Thanks for the advice on the tires, these tires are very old and are incredibly past their prime. Probably should have replaced them long ago. I'll be doing that in the very near future now.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Hyno

I have a Paxton 600rwhp 2000ACR with lots of other mods. I have no problem with traction until I turn on the Nitous. I have new BFG KDW2s and think that the PS2s have better traction and last longer. You're wanting to spend $10,000 on a computer system to put on the brakes while you're stepping on the gas?

ACR, Paxton supercharged NOS = 802rwhp - ViperClub Classifieds

You're stock? If you had a Roe supercharger at 8# boost you would know traction problems becaus of the immense torque and power. My 98 GTS with exhaust, water/mth inj (rest was stock) made 644rwtq/600rwhp and was FAST. At least compared to stock the hp and torque increase was mind numbing. Of course that explains why I now have 802rwhp and 720rwhp Vipers.

I Tom's big rear calipers and a 14" front brake kit, then buy "go-fast" parts. Make enough hp to have a tracion problem - then take some serious driving courses to learn how to make traction by using the throttle properly. If you search the subject you'll find threads on most people advising driving courses.

Drag radials are made for the street if you drive with more power than can be reliably controlled, course then you need to slow for corners a lot more. TC is for people that don't know how to drive yet. Driving instructors turn them off after the driver can handle the car.

Ted

OP
OP
H

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^

From the sound of it, it seems I simply may need new tires. Thanks for the info!

802rwhp Viper? Damn man, that thing must be ridiculous.

EDIT: TCS is a 10k system!?!?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice choice on your Viper if I say so myself. When you get new tires, consider the Kumho V700's or equivalent for traction. I have them for the rear tires. They are a softer compound so tread life is at least halved but unwanted wheel spin will be less often and handling will improve. You will get more rocks sticking to the tires and hitting the car but it is a fair tradeoff for better traction. PS2's I have heard are great also but have no personal experience with them yet.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
best thing you can do for yourself and your viper is a new set of tires.......

then get back to us about TC ( yes its a ton of cash )

OP
OP
H

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll just get a new set of tires for the car. My current tires are almost 11 years old but I've neglected to replace them since they still have plenty of tread. I'm sure that they're in poor shape though due to their age.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should list where you are located so in case you need assistance with anything folks can point you to nearby Viper help.

Joining the VCA is good too. Helps show Viper support.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should list where you are located so in case you need assistance with anything folks can point you to nearby Viper help.

And it's something to consider doing before you get tires, as membership offers access to the very best deals available.

PS If you're running 11 yr.old tires, count yourself lucky that you're still in one piece! ANY new tire is going to be a HUGE improvement on traction, not to mention safety, but from personal experience, PS2s offer great improvements over PS1s.

OP
OP
H

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks man. Haha, I actually noticed you're from Tampa. Me too. As for joining the VCA, what is the annual fee?

And it's something to consider doing before you get tires, as membership offers access to the very best deals available.

PS If you're running 11 yr.old tires, count yourself lucky that you're still in one piece! ANY new tire is going to be a HUGE improvement on traction, not to mention safety, but from personal experience, PS2s offer great improvements over PS1s.

Hmmm, joining the VCA seems worth it. Viper stuff isn't cheap and it would be nice to get some sort of deal. And ya, I know that my tires are old and probably not to safe. Replacement is a must.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....I have a 2000 year model RT/10. Have had it for about a year now....

..... My current tires are almost 11 years old .....

doing the math here :D ,

you have never experienced good tires on your viper, so getting new rubber will be like getting a new car :headbang:

..... but I've neglected to replace them since they still have plenty of tread.

time to make a whole bunch of white smoke :drive: :omg: :rolaugh: :drive:

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, go for new tires.

When I picked up my car last year it had the original tires on it (97). As they had plenty of tread, I drove on them for a few months while shopping for new wheels. After picking up a set of PS2s from JonB (highly recommended) it felt like a whole new car. Remember, the shelf life of a tire is about 6 years. Tread or not, they should be replaced.

You won't be disappointed.

Also, check out VPA: Viper Parts of America

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sticky tires will amaze you and give you what you want. If you keep the OEM 18" wheels I suggest Toyo R888 tires. Correct sizing, very sticky, cool looking tread.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While you're talking to JonB about new tires, order exhaust and Hi-flow Cats so your Viper will sound like a Viper. If you're broke or tight for cash (to fix the passenger side?) JonB also has extensive knowledge on good used parts.

My son compiled a car video of my Vipers demonstrating what the Gen 2s are supposed to sound like. LOL.

Good luck.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And ... join the VCA. You'll spend less than $150 and you'll save about $300 on each VOI 11 ticket you buy.

You'll be allowed access to the Illustrated Upgrades, Herb Helbig and the SRT Engineer's Forums. You'll also be invited to attend some awesome events and some of that will be paid by the club for you.

Ted

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your Viper Matt.

this is just too funny... Considing spending thousands of dollars on an aftermarket TC system and Diff when driving on 10yr old tires that have less grip left in em than a set of allseason tires.:rolaugh:
good thing yall set him straight:2tu:

op, PS2's / KumhoXS / NittoInvo / BFG G-force are all in the same league(high performance summer tires) and will have more than twice the amount of grip than your 10yr old tires have. Forget about the race tires that some are suggesting.
FYI Rubber gets harder/dryer with age causing them to have less and less grip.

Make sure to start researching exhaust modifications as the stock system on an 00 is Weak. There are many options from the most basic/cheap being deleting the rear mufflers. This can be done at any exhaust shop with whatever pipe they have(i recommend 409SS) or buying a pre-fabbed rear section from here: Viper 2¼"ID Rear Sub Exhuast Assembly :: 2¼"ID Exhaust Systems :: Exhaust :: Engine & Exhaust :: Snake-Oyl Products :: Dodge Viper Products, Parts, Accessories
Most expensive option being spending over 5K on a header&full3"system...:money:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New tires change everything about grip, but don't forget to give it an alignment, as new tires also don't grip at all if the alignment is set up incorrect through any kind of stuff in the past.

I did the alignment and the tires, whole other car and I can even take corners now ;)

OP
OP
H

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ya, I'll be joining the VCA and will simply get the tires replaced. RTTTTed, yeah, I know the passenger's side needs to be fixed. I don't know why I haven't had it taken care of yet. When I first got the car I wasn't used to driving something that low to the ground (DD is an SUV) and I don't know exactly where, but it must have rubbed against a curb or something.

I would love to get hi-flows and a full exhaust (headers included). I've been looking into SVS headers and I see they offer a sidepipe exhaust conversion for the Gen IIs. Always loved the side exhaust look. By summer's end, I hope to have it all taken care off, but we'll see. New tires for sure however.

OP
OP
H

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry that I haven't responded in a while. My stupid Dell hard drive died on me and had to have a tech come out to replace and fix it. But ya, I'm goin' with the PS2s. Just curious however, I see a lot of you guys talking about alignment; what is the best alignment for straight line performance and stability??? I'm not one who really cares about corners or anything like that; straight line speed is what I want (drag style). Anyways, any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the advice thus far.

- Matt

OP
OP
H

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful purchasing direct from svs. They are not known for customer service at all.

Hmmm, good to know. I know nothing about their CS, but I have heard (from this forum and Viper Alley that SVS appear (in quality anyways) to be top notch)). Can anyone comment on them???

V

Venomiss

This might save you a few bucks.
The prorated amount for New &
Venom members is

$75 for Standard

$110 for Venom
This will go July until September

Be sure and call 1-800-998-1110 and find out more

The next raffle is coming quick-you will want to be a member.:D

Forum statistics

Threads