New issue popped up on new toy. Heat don't blow through the center vents, smell fuel.

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas. New issue popped up last night. I've been enjoying my new to me '02 GTS coupe for the last few days and a new problem has popped up. I have only ran the heat on the floor since I've owned it (less than a week). I decided to switch the heat to the center vents last night and it blows cold air and smells like fuel. I brought the car home and put it over the pit in garage... Searched every nook and cranny for fuel and found nothing.

Any feedback as always would be greatly appreciated. I love the car very much but am starting to feel slightly intimedated.

I've searched. Thank you, -Alex- :crazy2:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New issue popped up on new toy. Heat don't blow through the center vents, smell f

Call Chuck Tator the "Wizard" at 914-763-3136 and be ready to chat with one of the BEST people on earth!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New issue popped up on new toy. Heat don't blow through the center vents, smell f

Does it smell like unburned fuel or exhaust fumes?

Love the avatar BTW.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey fellas. New issue popped up last night. I've been enjoying my new to me '02 GTS coupe for the last few days and a new problem has popped up. I have only ran the heat on the floor since I've owned it (less than a week). I decided to switch the heat to the center vents last night and it blows cold air and smells like fuel. I brought the car home and put it over the pit in garage... Searched every nook and cranny for fuel and found nothing.

Any feedback as always would be greatly appreciated. I love the car very much but am starting to feel slightly intimedated.

I've searched. Thank you, -Alex- :crazy2:

You will not get any hot air through the center vents. Hot air will only be felt on the defrost setting and will only come out through the vents in the top of the dash and the vents aimed at the floor. My Gen II does the same thing. However, the gas smell I have never experience so that is something I would talk to Chuck Tator about.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You will not get any hot air through the center vents. Hot air will only be felt on the defrost setting and will only come out through the vents in the top of the dash and the vents aimed at the floor. My Gen II does the same thing. However, the gas smell I have never experience so that is something I would talk to Chuck Tator about.

Great news about the center vents!! The fact that the (raw) fuel smell is coming through the center vents leads me to believe it's coming from under the hood somewhere. I got the car to operating temp and looked at the injectors and saw nothing. I'll call chuck Tator and rack his brain.

Thanks all, this forum Rules. I've been a member of Vette, LS1, Mustang and 4x4 forums in the past and this one is by far the most helpful. :headbang:
Pictures to come on Monday!!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Love the avatar BTW.

This is the important question. If you smell raw fuel, you need to address that right away - its a bigger deal than ventilation. I suspect that you're getting "engine bay" fumes.....exhaust, heated up oil drops etc.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You will not get any hot air through the center vents. Hot air will only be felt on the defrost setting and will only come out through the vents in the top of the dash and the vents aimed at the floor.

This man speaks the truth.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score

And just so you know come summer time, the temp dial has no effect when you've got the vent select set to the dash vents/AC setting. It's either on or off, no in between.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And just so you know come summer time, the temp dial has no effect when you've got the vent select set to the dash vents/AC setting. It's either on or off, no in between.

Thank you, that's good to know.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Love the avatar BTW.

It smells like gas to me but I'm not familiar with such an animal. I realize that a v-10 monster is probably going to produce more vapors than your normal mill.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks all, this forum Rules. I've been a member of Vette, LS1, Mustang and 4x4 forums in the past and this one is by far the most helpful. :headbang:
Pictures to come on Monday!!

Another nice things about this forum is that you will rarely encounter the samrt-**** post when asking for help. About the closest thing you will get is someone telling you to use the search--which is a good idea. Other than that, everyone is really helpful and friendly. We will give each other a hard time on occassion, but it is usually all in good fun. Good luck with you issue. Please let us know how it turns out so others will learn.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It smells like gas to me but I'm not familiar with such an animal. I realize that a v-10 monster is probably going to produce more vapors than your normal mill.

Stock exhaust? Do you have headers by chance? High flow cats, no cats?

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock exhaust? Do you have headers by chance? High flow cats, no cats?

The exhaust is all stock. I have Random Tech cats in the mail. Would the stock exhaust have anything to do with the smell?

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another nice things about this forum is that you will rarely encounter the samrt-**** post when asking for help. About the closest thing you will get is someone telling you to use the search--which is a good idea. Other than that, everyone is really helpful and friendly. We will give each other a hard time on occassion, but it is usually all in good fun. Good luck with you issue. Please let us know how it turns out so others will learn.

That's the main thing I like about this forum. No smart ass responses to a legitimate question.

Nothing wrong with friends busting each others chops though!!

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The exhaust is all stock. I have Random Tech cats in the mail. Would the stock exhaust have anything to do with the smell?

No, I was thinking if you didn't have cats it might have something to do with it or maybe headers that needed to be re-torqued.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, I was thinking if you didn't have cats it might have something to do with it or maybe headers that needed to be re-torqued.

That's what I was thinking...exhaust leak. But if it smells like unburned gasoline, I'd be looking at the fuel system very closely. Schrader valve, fittings, etc.

One of our folks at VOI-11 had a leaking Schrader valve. You could really smell that gas.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score

DrumrBoy said:
If you smell raw fuel, you need to address that right away - its a bigger deal than ventilation.
Yes.

It doesn't take much gasoline to really make an odor, so although you may not find drops or puddles, there is some fuel getting by somewhere. Check the hookups to the lines, the lines themselves, etc... The plastic cowl cover at the base of the windshield unbolts easily and you can have a look down where the lines connect to the fuel passages.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Loose gasoline = fire. Fire bad.

This was caused by an older hose that hardened and didn't flex properly around the fitting. Just a few drops during every left turn and after three laps there was enough to start and sustain a fire. As advised, if you smell raw gas, trace all lines in the engine bay back to the firewall to make sure nothing is leaking anywhere!

DSC009571.JPG

DSC00962.JPG

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FIND THE SOURCE OF THAT SMELL! I was getting a fuel odor earlier this year and took it down to the shop to figure out what it was. Turns out that the O-ring where the fuel line hooks into the intake manifold had gone bad and was dumping raw fuel on top of the manifold. That's a perfect set up for some major flames! You couldn't see any fuel as it only happened when the fuel pump was running and it evaporated very quickly. You could FEEL it though when you put your fingers under the connection with the key in the ON position. I ended up having to replace that section of the fuel line ... can't buy the O-ring by itself. That was my first experience with Viper Tax, but I'm glad I found the problem before it destroyed my beast. Sorry I can't get up there right away to check it for you. Maybe one of our local bretherin can come check it out. I can explain exactly where my leak was over the phone to them.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FIND THE SOURCE OF THAT SMELL! I was getting a fuel odor earlier this year and took it down to the shop to figure out what it was. Turns out that the O-ring where the fuel line hooks into the intake manifold had gone bad and was dumping raw fuel on top of the manifold. That's a perfect set up for some major flames! You couldn't see any fuel as it only happened when the fuel pump was running and it evaporated very quickly. You could FEEL it though when you put your fingers under the connection with the key in the ON position. I ended up having to replace that section of the fuel line ... can't buy the O-ring by itself. That was my first experience with Viper Tax, but I'm glad I found the problem before it destroyed my beast. Sorry I can't get up there right away to check it for you. Maybe one of our local bretherin can come check it out. I can explain exactly where my leak was over the phone to them.
Thanks for the offer, I know you're down and out at the moment. Great advice and a place to start.

p.s. I'm not lowering the car!!!! You were right, plus it sits perfect on the Gen III 5 spokes. Get well.

Panzer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the main thing I like about this forum. No smart ass responses to a legitimate question.

Nothing wrong with friends busting each others chops though!!

Yeah the whole "Have a email adress beside gmail or yahoo weeds out most of the jack-asses.

My bother had this problem with a car of his.. ended up having to tear the whole thing apart to find it. Hope its a simple fix for you!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

id look at the schrader valve first and then call tator

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score

. I ended up having to replace that section of the fuel line ... can't buy the O-ring by itself. That was my first experience with Viper Tax, but I'm glad I found the problem before it destroyed my beast.

Although Dodge doesn't sell it, you can get a replacement O-ring without buying the whole replacement fuel line. I simply took the fuel line section to NAPA and found the O-ring that fit. BE SURE to get a FUEL LINE O-ring though, not a regular O-ring. Cost was a couple of bucks instead of $100 or so for the new fuel line.

Be sure to cycle the key on and off a couple of times to pressurize the line and check for leaks before starting.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get the pump energized and fuel line pressure up by turning the key on. Check the Schrader valve on the top of the passenger side valve cover. Check the connection of the fuel line into the same valve cover at the back near the firewall.

Call Chuck. He's the Wizard!

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great advice. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a little trouble tracking down The Wizard's phone number. The search function was acting strange. If you decide to ask an expert for some advice, call Chuck Tator at 914.763.3136 He's always been very helpful to me when I needed some questions answered.:2tu:

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a little trouble tracking down The Wizard's phone number. The search function was acting strange. If you decide to ask an expert for some advice, call Chuck Tator at 914.763.3136 He's always been very helpful to me when I needed some questions answered.:2tu:

Thanks man, I called him and left a message.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dear Somewhere in Time,

I saw a video of one of our European members watching his car burn to the ground....very, very sad and hard to fathom....so I immediately went out and bought a fire extinguisher and it fits nicely in my '02 between the tub and the spare tire, so no rolling around. I suggest if you've got any fuel vapors you do the same...Walmart and Target have them cheaply too.

Regards,
Aaron

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been shopping around for a good extinguisher for a few days and I've decided to get one of the 'clean' ones (successor to Halon) rather than the chemical powder type. There's also a nice mount the goes right in front of the passenger seat so it's easily accessable. Might be a little faster than going to the back and opening the hatch.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DEFINITELY get the clean ones.....available from Summit. $90 versus $25 but absolutely worth it if you have to use them. The little fire in the rear quarter pictured above was easily extinguished** but the cleanup was 12 hours....and that's on a racecar with no carpet or fiddly crap on the dash.

** In my street GTS I too have the Roe bracket and 5lb bottle in front of the passenger seat. I always figured it'd be sufficient for putting out an engine fire. If you look at the pix above, every one of the 20lb extinguishers was exhausted (as well as several you can't see in the picture) just quelling that little gasoline fire:omg:.

If you can find room for it, try and get a 20lb "Nalon" (can't remember the new Halon's name)....it'd definitely help more than the lil 5-er.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4