New issue popped up on new toy. Heat don't blow through the center vents, smell fuel.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New issue popped up on new toy. Heat don't blow through the center vents, smell f

DEFINITELY get the clean ones.....available from Summit. $90 versus $25 but absolutely worth it if you have to use them. The little fire in the rear quarter pictured above was easily extinguished** but the cleanup was 12 hours....and that's on a racecar with no carpet or fiddly crap on the dash.

** In my street GTS I too have the Roe bracket and 5lb bottle in front of the passenger seat. I always figured it'd be sufficient for putting out an engine fire. If you look at the pix above, every one of the 20lb extinguishers was exhausted (as well as several you can't see in the picture) just quelling that little gasoline fire:omg:.

If you can find room for it, try and get a 20lb "Nalon" (can't remember the new Halon's name)....it'd definitely help more than the lil 5-er.
I've got a 5'er in the car too.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New issue popped up on new toy. Heat don't blow through the center vents, smell f

id never try to put out a fire in the viper, im not qualified. i dont want a partially burnt viper.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

id never try to put out a fire in the viper, im not qualified. i dont want a partially burnt viper.

+1 from me... But I do keep 5-6 extinguishers in my garage. ;)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Excellent point! (I think I'll leave the 5lb unit in the car....that should prove I tried but won't really do anything to slow the fire down :rolaugh:)

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Turns out the fuel was leaking from what appears to be a brass fitting on the pass top side of intake back by the firewall. The cap had come loose and fuel was dripping down onto the intake runner. I don't know what the fitting is for but I tightened it down, no more fuel leak or smell.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool, glad you found it! Now..... get back to detailing, we want pics :D

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

that is the schrader valve cover. I'd replace the entire valve immediately. The valve shouldn't leak even with the cap removed.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it looks like a tire valve with a brass cap and is on top of the valve cover, that's a Schraeder valve and yes, you should replace it if it leaks even with the cap off. If it has a fuel line feeding into it and it's on the firewall side of the valve cover, that's the fitting I was telling you about. If you think it just needed tightening, check it over and over again. Mine stopped leaking for a while from tightening it, but then it started again. The O-ring was shot.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

that is the schrader valve cover. I'd replace the entire valve immediately. The valve shouldn't leak even with the cap removed.

I called that one. :)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think what might have happened is ,the car had a fuel pressure test done prior and the valve got stuck upon removal of the gauge adapter hose.Furthermore the safety cap wasn't properly tightened :rolleyes:. I've seen cars missing the safety cap on cars by shade tree mechanics. Many boat fires happen for the same reason and the engine being in the back the helmsman can't even smell fumes while underway .
My friend has a Halon system [ pretty big bottle behind the passenger seat in his Noble M400 with mid engine ,so smell would be drawn out back ] with a red trigger switch mounted up on the dashboard panel. I'll do a setup in my car with the bottle front of the pass seat as in the picture posted here.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am ordering a new one today. It was dumping fuel out onto the intake!! Pictures to come I promise!! Weather in Texas has been crappy ever since the car rolled off the trailer.

p.s. I washed the car in the rain Saturday morning and pulled her in the garage for drying and compressed air. Yep, I'm crazy.