New owner 2003! RPM ?

St.Char

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! You'll get a few answers on this one, it's really a matter of personal preference. however as long a you're not redlining it....you're okay. Personally, my shift point is usually between 2.5 and 3 :drive: On another note, take it easy and get to know your car, the low end torque of your car could catch you by surprise sometimes.

OP
OP
B

Bill1974

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I rented one back in the day and I just knew I had to have one!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. :rolleyes:

Kinda lame to not yet have maxed out the car, top speed wise.
Got up to 185,........... then approaching a curve made it necessary to slow down a little. :omg:
The car will go faster, but just knowing that is enough for me. :smirk:
This was several years ago when the car was relatively new and completely stock.

No death wish, and no desire to go to jail, so my needle won't ever see the very top of the speedo. :(

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase. I have an 03 as well. Personally if I'm conserving gas (or behind a Prius), I shift at 3. That is about 20% of the time, as the rest of the time, like Allan, I like to exercise the car (gotta keep it in shape you know) by using the entire range...

Welcome to the forums!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers seem to pull the hardest between 3 and 5k. :)
If you aren't getting up there now and then, you are missing out.
Besides, a wound-up screaming Viper is intoxicating. :headbang:

oh yeah,...........watch out for the cops. :crazy2:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. :rolleyes:

Kinda lame to not yet have maxed out the car, top speed wise.
Got up to 185,........... then approaching a curve made it necessary to slow down a little. :omg:
The car will go faster, but just knowing that is enough for me. :smirk:
This was several years ago when the car was relatively new and completely stock.

No death wish, and no desire to go to jail, so my needle won't ever see the very top of the speedo. :(

Whehe, I live near Germany...nuff said, gonna try for sure!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also have an 03, and most of the time, in traffic around here, can't really winder her up too much. By the time the tach is at 5000 rpm, you're at arrestable on the spot speeds. Like Allan says, just knowing is enough! A Gen 3 should top out around 192 given the right tires, road length, and conditions, but I ain't never gonna find out.

That being said, you do need to run her hard sometimes, these engines were designed for that.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,
Before the Viper, When was the last time that you regularly drove a manual transmission vehicle? For how long? And what was it?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also have an 03, and most of the time, in traffic around here, can't really winder her up too much. By the time the tach is at 5000 rpm, you're at arrestable on the spot speeds. Like Allan says, just knowing is enough! A Gen 3 should top out around 192 given the right tires, road length, and conditions, but I ain't never gonna find out.

That being said, you do need to run her hard sometimes, these engines were designed for that.
Yeah, driving around keeping it below 3k all the time........is Viper abuse.

OP
OP
B

Bill1974

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I honestly haven't had a standard since I first got my license almost 24 years ago. I did have a few crotch rockets that all the power is up in the 9k to 10k RPM range. Seeing a Viper around here in NH is like seeing a unicorn. I love the car it's awesome but noone I know has had one so I didn't want to beat it. I do let it go now and then but I am pretty tame with it as I don't have a death wish.

I joined the club to find some owners that live nearby but nobody has contacted in as of yet. Hope to find some folks to cruise with or maybe just answer and chat about the car. Thanks for all your responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine