New Quad Turbo "Super Chrysler" at Detroit Auto Show

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Quad Turbo \"Super Chrysler\" at Detroit Auto Show

Just got off the phone with Steve who is at the Press Day for the Detroit International Auto Show. Here are a few tidbits on the new "Super Chysler" we have been hearing about:

Mid Engine Quad Turbo
Extremely light, making it the fastest car in the world (gotta love auto shows)
It look sort of Pronto Spyderish, with hints of Ford's GT and GT-90

More to follow.

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Quad Turbo \"Super Chrysler\" at Detroit Auto Show

lots of pics here under the "NAIAS 2004" link

http://media.daimlerchrysler.com/gms_frame

90Chrysler_ME_Four-Twelve_Concept.jpg

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

does look rather nice

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the fact it is original (a good) looking.

But it should be a Dodge.... which IS Chryslers performance brand. Dodge could expand the Viper line to have a Viper Convertible, Coupe, and Mid-Engined varient....

Nice Story at AutoWeek.com

And here is the quote of the day from the article:

"...How about this statement from none other than division president and CEO Dieter Zetsche: “It’s not just a concept. It’s a prototype.”..."

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Quad Turbo

What an awesome car!! It really tears me up to see Chrysler/Dodge steal GM and Ford's thunder at the auto show.

I love it.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a bad asp machine!

0-60 in 2.9
1/4 mile 10.6
Top speed 248 MPH 400 KPH

I think they said 2800 lbs.

Has a 7 speed.

Body is all Carbon Fiber.

There is a "tub" that is only 100lbs.

Bad asp motor, with 4 turbos and 850 BHP.

There will be an actual running mule ready for testing in April.

Trying to get some set aside for VCA Memebrs????

Won't be cheap, but will be faster than anything (including the F1) for much less.

When the pitures get put up take a good look at the side view. It had a forward motion that I have never seen before, very cool.

Sorry for the tid-bits, but I need some sleep. I will try and get more up as soon as I get a chance.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Its incredible!

Kudos to the designers, and to the leadership that conceived the idea, and had the cayones to put the concept into motion.

I'm really ecstatic to see someone knock those smug Ferrari owners off of their Enzo pedestal. Way to go!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great! Two questions...why is it not a Dodge and where the next Viper coupe?

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw it personally and it is awesome!! It's a 12 cylinder AMG motor and is actually a running prototype, not just a concept car. They said at the show that speed testing will start in February, but they feel confident enough to boast that it will go 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds (and 0 to 100 in 6 seconds)!! A tremendous "halo car" for DC. The representatives I talked to said that they are not going to turn their back on Viper -- but didn't elaborate.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sh*t, just woke up from a dream where the new Super Chrysler was $100k! :D
How much is it really?? I am guessing $500k+

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would guess that they are trying to make this in the $200,000-300,000 range.

As for a coupe, I still think we are looking at seeing something in 2006-2007.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oops...left out "is" in the second part of my question above...minus five points for spelling errors. Several of my friends with ties to Dodge have mentioned the next Viper coupe will come out in 2005 as a 2006 model. Is one of the "surprises" of VOI 8 the unveiling of the next coupe? The quad turbo looks great and maybe is a "halo" car but who is going to buy it? It is three times the price of the Ford GT. Bottom line is that Dodge needs to tell us the coupe is coming and hopefully soon.

Viperam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Of course if they did try to get the cost right at 100K it would be one of the highest demand vehicles on the planet. What a cash cow for DC and an inspiration to the other supercar manufacturers to cut costs in order to compete/regain market share. ;)

TheHemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, the estimate that I remember was $450K.
The car is gorgeous and simply awesome, but I
want to see their halo car with a Hemi engine.
Drop the V10 Hemi in the Viper and maybe even
a larger V12 Hemi for their supercar platform.
AMG already has pricey cars of their own!

But maybe I am just biased. :)

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

TheHemi is probably about right... this car, if it achieves it's speed goals, will probably price between the Porsche GT and the Ferrari Enzo.

My 2 cents would say $400,000 - $750,000

And what's with ME? "Mercedes Engineered"?

The best part is how much of Chevrolet's C6 Thunder this has stolen during the car show. If for no other reason we should love this "concept/prototype".

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow! That thing looks spectacular! Ok, let's think about this. Somehow we need to get it down in the $100-150k area, so some of us poorer Viper owners can get one.

My thoughts: We would have to make some sacrifices to do that. If I'm in charge, here's what I do:

1. Price goes up almost like a square root calculation when it comes to saving weight. Yea, the super light concept is great, but I'll sacrifice and settle for 3,000 lbs and ditching the majority of expensive carbon fiber.

2. Forget the "too exotic" motor. I'll be satisfied with an "off the shelf" future Viper Hemi V-10, using only a simple and inexpensive one or two turbo setup, making a nice, reliable 750-800hp.

3. Borrow a couple of gauges, switches etc. from the Neon or even a truck to keep Herb's end of this baby reasonable.

4. Call it the Viper II, and make it a Dodge.

As soon as I get the confirmation call from DC after this post, my deposit is on the way....... shades of people throwing money at Lutz & company back in 89. Anybody have Wolfgang's private cell number???? :)

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TheHemi is exactly right about the target pricing - the $450k came from an Autoweek web article estimate and has just grown legs from there.

As for "ME" is supposedly stands for mid-engine...

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ME-Correct
4-Turbos
12-HOLES!

King, I am writing as fast as I can today to get something to DC about this project. How about a teard program that assures Chrysler dominance on ALL LEVELS? What does that mean?

Under $100,000 SRT/10
Under $250,000 Super Viper?????
Over $250,000 ME 412

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow great news and an exciting concept!

Too bad the Veyron flew in the air over 350kph - their chance to be top dog by a mile has been challenged after all the years they have mucked around posing their prototypes.

DC has done this very quickly, secretly, and really pricked some balloons. With ME behind it - they won't need the time Bugatti has... way to go.

IMagine if they get their car over 350kph before Bugatti does? :D :2tu:

A 40V V10 with single cam would have saved moving parts and weight - but like it or not - here's an AMG V12 we know can go to 7.3 litres and ...well a V12 doesn't sound too bad does it? :D

Getting it to well over 1000hp will be so simple... hope they have an AWD version coming so it could be used! :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

ME-Correct
4-Turbos
12-HOLES!

King, I am writing as fast as I can today to get something to DC about this project. How about a teard program that assures Chrysler dominance on ALL LEVELS? What does that mean?

Under $100,000 SRT/10
Under $250,000 Super Viper?????
Over $250,000 ME 412

Pssst- Hey, Steve! Over here! Shhhhh, don't talk too loud.....Now listen, Why set your parameters so high? I wouldn't let them think I would pay over $250,000 for the ME4-12! And I certainly wouldn't pay anything in the neighborhood of a quarter million for a Super Viper. Maybe $100K or so, but thats it.

Someone above said put a hopped up Viper V10 in the Super Chrysler. That sounds great to me! You could get the same power, without the huge cost of the MB AMG V12. Maybe lose a bit of the carbon fiber? That could make the Super Chrysler somewhat affordable.

BTW, I think you mean "tiered program"? 8^)

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just read the article write up - wow :2tu:

I never thought DC would be able to do that - top marks to them - this is a great achievement for a big multi-national company and is a great omen in the wake of some problems in the Chrysler camp. It gives me hope that maybe a few bad integrity issues within the group will finally be taken care of - because a company that can pull this off can do anything it sets its mind to. I'm impressed.

Forget what I said earlier about the Merc v12 - this is a ground up special purpose V12 just for this car. It weighs only 525lb which for a quad turbo V12 is a major achievement - even if only a small displacement at 5.9 litre. I wouldn't change a thing about it - except maybe wish for an evolution of AWD down the track and more boost... :D :2tu: Top work DC! :headbang:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd change a few things. First, change the engine to a V10 (same HP) and call it a Viper GTSR. Three levels of Viper: SRT-10, Street legal Comp Coupe (SGTS?), and GTSR. I don't like the thought of the Viper name being in second place, even in the same company. ME4-12 doesn't have a ring to it.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Torque, any info on this comment "Veyron flew in the air over 350kph", I have not heard about this yet.

By the way I bet that "engine specifically built for" the ME412 is basically a derivative of the engine in the S600, they already said that engine can make that much power if only the auto trans in the MB's could handle it. Why re-invent the wheel?

Wow great news and an exciting concept!

Too bad the Veyron flew in the air over 350kph - their chance to be top dog by a mile has been challenged after all the years they have mucked around posing their prototypes.

DC has done this very quickly, secretly, and really pricked some balloons. With ME behind it - they won't need the time Bugatti has... way to go.

IMagine if they get their car over 350kph before Bugatti does? :D :2tu:

A 40V V10 with single cam would have saved moving parts and weight - but like it or not - here's an AMG V12 we know can go to 7.3 litres and ...well a V12 doesn't sound too bad does it? :D

Getting it to well over 1000hp will be so simple... hope they have an AWD version coming so it could be used! :2tu:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Quad Turbo nice article here

Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche was quoted in Autoweek as saying "All we know right now is that the Ford GT is at $140K or so, the Enzo is at $659K, and that our car would cost somewhere between there, depending on volume and final specification."

He also said that if the ME412 is recieved well it could be available to buy within a year.

I also think that $250K is REALLY high for a super-Viper. :eek:
I'd say that D/C could easily add the SEMA Viper engine/suspension mods and a supercharger to make a special 700HP ACR SRT for under $125K. Maybe $150K with all of the carbon fiber body panels. :2tu:

-Dean.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Quad Turbo nice article here

I wouldn't price a Super Viper at $250,000. I am suggesting it cost around $125,000 so it stays in the smae formula as the current Viper, dominate anything at up to double the price. I hope that make s better sense?

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd change a few things. First, change the engine to a V10 (same HP) and call it a Viper GTSR.

I agree. Dump the AMG motor and go with a high tech V-10. The Motor is the only thing I find disappointing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala