New Quad Turbo "Super Chrysler" at Detroit Auto Show

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Quad Turbo

Torque, any info on this comment "Veyron flew in the air over 350kph", I have not heard about this yet.

By the way I bet that "engine specifically built for" the ME412 is basically a derivative of the engine in the S600, they already said that engine can make that much power if only the auto trans in the MB's could handle it. Why re-invent the wheel?

Hey Supra - not a lot of info except there was a press release a while back with interpretations that ranged from the Veyron was being shelved to simply being delayed yet another year. It is already a year behind.

The problem appears that the car simply becomes too unstable in testing above 350kph - they cna't keep it on the ground to verify the claimed 400kph. They expect that some customer is going to try and top one out and the car simply won't do it safely. There's even talk by the VW head they might detune it to 750hp and give it a max of 350kph - a speed it has been tested to ok. If they detune it they might as well scrap it.

Hopefully they will re-engineer the aerodynamics, get it to stick on the ground at 400kph enough to sell, and do what they promised - sell a 1001hp AWD car. We'll see - but not before 2005 it seems... by which time the ME 4-12 might be biting its heels!

re the AMG engine - it is NOT a Merc engine. It is an AMG ground up V12 that may share some characteristics but little else. AMG is a private tuning house with a close relationship with ME. Why have a tuning house develop a NEW engine?

AMG had a mandate to build an engine that made 800hp and weighed 500lb complete.

They failed - but DC accepted 850hp and 525lb - a very good compromise don't you think? :D

The Merc V12 I have no figures for but would suggest its weight with quad turbos would be greatly in excess of 525lb - possibly 700lb. So the AMG engine is unique - and if there are any parts interchagable it would only be because it was good sense and did not compromise the mandate - there may be no identical parts on it at all - time will tell

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: New Quad Turbo nice article here

Ok, I get your meaning now. The Viper or Super Chrysler would be able to handle cars costing more, in the price ranges you mentioned. Thats a good goal

I wouldn't price a Super Viper at $250,000. I am suggesting it cost around $125,000 so it stays in the smae formula as the current Viper, dominate anything at up to double the price. I hope that make s better sense?

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the Veyron "update". Keeping any car down at 250 MPH is a feat....

Torque, any info on this comment "Veyron flew in the air over 350kph", I have not heard about this yet.

By the way I bet that "engine specifically built for" the ME412 is basically a derivative of the engine in the S600, they already said that engine can make that much power if only the auto trans in the MB's could handle it. Why re-invent the wheel?

Hey Supra - not a lot of info except there was a press release a while back with interpretations that ranged from the Veyron was being shelved to simply being delayed yet another year. It is already a year behind.

The problem appears that the car simply becomes too unstable in testing above 350kph - they cna't keep it on the ground to verify the claimed 400kph. They expect that some customer is going to try and top one out and the car simply won't do it safely. There's even talk by the VW head they might detune it to 750hp and give it a max of 350kph - a speed it has been tested to ok. If they detune it they might as well scrap it.

Hopefully they will re-engineer the aerodynamics, get it to stick on the ground at 400kph enough to sell, and do what they promised - sell a 1001hp AWD car. We'll see - but not before 2005 it seems... by which time the ME 4-12 might be biting its heels!

re the AMG engine - it is NOT a Merc engine. It is an AMG ground up V12 that may share some characteristics but little else. AMG is a private tuning house with a close relationship with ME. Why have a tuning house develop a NEW engine?

AMG had a mandate to build an engine that made 800hp and weighed 500lb complete.

They failed - but DC accepted 850hp and 525lb - a very good compromise don't you think? :D

The Merc V12 I have no figures for but would suggest its weight with quad turbos would be greatly in excess of 525lb - possibly 700lb. So the AMG engine is unique - and if there are any parts interchagable it would only be because it was good sense and did not compromise the mandate - there may be no identical parts on it at all - time will tell

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AMG is not a private tuning house anymore, it was bought by DC. They are a "division" of Mercedes-Benz.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AMG is not a private tuning house anymore, it was bought by DC. They are a "division" of Mercedes-Benz.

Oh - I didn't know that. Thanks. The point was that the engine is reported to be a new one - not a version of the current car engine. For that reason alone I think there is good chance they will build it.... why go to that expense otherwise?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "block" was existing, but everything else on it is new.

Is that true Steve?

If so that is great because the current block is good for a proven 7.3 litre engine... Provided there is plenty of bore thickness remaining - that could produce an easy 20% increase in hp and torque at same boost. There's 1000hp without winding up the wick. :2tu:

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I could not tell the difference, but that is what Wolfgang Bernhar told me last Monday. He even directed the head of AMG where to find the required suppliers to meet that specs!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) - January 13, 2004

Detroit (dpa) Chrysler is to build a V12 super sports car presenting at the Detroit Motor Show (January 10-19) a prototype of the car to go into serial production next year.

The two-seater car with the project code M-E 4-12 is to be built largely with carbon, aluminium and other light-weight materials, the manufacturer said.

The engine will come from the Mercedes subsidiary AMG with some 850 horsepower. The competitor of the Ferrari Enzo, Mercedes SLR and Bugatti Veyron will take just 2.9 seconds to 96 km/h. Chrysler put the top speed at 400 km/h.

Road tests are scheduled immediately after the motor show. On the medium term Chrysler is planning the production of 300 units per year.

Copyright 2004 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21