New Viper Owner (lilviv)!

lilviv

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I am a new Viper owner (first post!). I just bought my 1999 GTS (Red, Silver Stripes) w/ 12K miles from SW at Elite Motorsports in Austin, TX! :) Wanted to get a 1999 'cause it's the last year of the forged engine, so took a little bit of time to find the right car. And, judging by other threads on this forum, apparently I overpaid. But, I wanted to find the right car, a very clean one. It's my first one (and first American car, for that matter), and I'm very excited about it! I take delivery of it on Monday.

You must be registered for see images

It is mostly stock, 'cept it has a Corsa Cat-Back exhaust, K&N Filters, and a stereo. (I think, will know more when I see the car on Monday.)

Don't lynch me, but I am also a Supra TT owner . . . so I have experience with fast cars in general (my Supra put down a hair over 730 RWHP). It's been fun modifying this car over the last 10 years. My Supra Modifying it is half the fun, so time for a new project! I wanted a car that would be a "future classic/collectible" as well, and I wanted to try my hand with a different kind of horsepower. :)

I'm excited to try my new Viper's launching ability, low end torque, and track skills!

I am going to keep the modding light to start, but then hope to do a big FI car once I feel the car out for a while. :)

I had a couple questions I was hoping some of you guys could help me with. :) It looks like there is a small gap above my driver's side headlight and the hood. I hear this is common, and I know this car's never been in an accident. Shown here:

Is that normal? Is there an easy tweak, fix for it?

Also, I was looking on this website at the Build Information. It seems numbers for 1999 build production were left off. How do I find out how many Red/Silver Striped '99 GTS's were built?

Thanks for the help, guys, and I am going to try to stay active on here, as well. :)

-Lil' Viv
http://www.lilviv.com

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood gap is normal. Being handbuilt cars, everyone is a little different. Yours looks fine, I've seen some A LOT worse. There is some adjustment you can do, but its a PITA and most dont worry about it especially if they plan on driving their car like you do.

As for future collectibility, if you plan on modding it like you said, thats most likely gonna hurt future value/collectibility since it wont be stock any more. Cars are a horrible investment. Even Vipers. Drive it and dont worry about the future!

Don't worry about "overpaying" for it. Viper owners seem to be our own worst enemy when valuing these cars. There's no car like them on the planet, but people seem to give them away for FAR below what they should all the time :curse: We control the used value market and for the past couple years, have done a really crappy job at keeping values high. Again, don't sweat it. Drive it and dont worry about the future!

Be careful when you 1st get in it. Be sure the wheels are perfectly straight when you get on the gas or you'll find out what "Snake Bite" is. I did my 1st day. Didnt wreck but ruined a new pair of boxers :eek:

Oh yeah, red is fastest. People around here will lie and say its not, but they just say that to make themselves feel better about their car :D

Welcome to the party! :nana:

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Don't listen to Chad, he thinks it's the fastest because of red - but it's actually the fastest because it's a GTS!

Good luck and Welcome...

BW VIPER GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice car Viv.

youre gonna love the low end response compared to your supra. gobs of torque below 4000 rpm makes this car a whole different beast to drive. especially in the twistys.

welcome to the supra/viper owners club. ;)

--------------------
-Al
97 Viper GTS - 450+ rwhp
95 Supra - 860+ rwhp

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I was looking on this website at the Build Information. It seems numbers for 1999 build production were left off. How do I find out how many Red/Silver Striped '99 GTS's were built?

:2tu:

OP
OP
L

lilviv

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome! Don't listen to Chad, he thinks it's the fastest because of red - but it's actually the fastest because it's a GTS!
Ah, but Chad is right, my friend . . . there's a long history of red cars being faster than non-red cars, it's science, red == fast. :)

The hood gap is normal.
So, I don't need to worry about air getting underneath it at very high speeds, though, right? Since the hood latches opposite . . . or do I?

welcome to the supra/viper owners club. ;)
Yay, I am not alone, heh! Hi Al! :)

Hi M. Rod! Not sure if you remember me . . . but, I think we've had tiffs on forums (maybe Vette forums?) before! But, you can cut me a break . . . I think I was like 17 or 18 (almost 8 years ago)? Wow, that makes me feel old. =P I can start to say, "A decade ago," soon. =P Time, she flies!

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the first things to know about your Viper is not to let anyone else drive it if you don't have to. (Like carwash attendants, valets and friends)
As V10Speedluvr said take it easy on the gas when you're turning and learn where the pedals are because they are pretty close together. Very nice car. My first one was red with silver also.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SW always gets you the best cars...I know several Viper owners that have gotten there Vipers through him...he is very maticulous with his cars.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh...and welcome aboard!!! Hope to see you on the 21st of April for the big Texas meet here in Central Texas!!!

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi M. Rod! Not sure if you remember me . . . but, I think we've had tiffs on forums (maybe Vette forums?) before! But, you can cut me a break . . . I think I was like 17 or 18 (almost 8 years ago)? Wow, that makes me feel old. =P I can start to say, "A decade ago," soon. =P Time, she flies!

Hi lilviv! :cool:

I think you've got the wrong M-ROD! :laugh: (Vette forums? Me?... :crazy: ...Definitely wrong M-ROD! :D )

Seriously I was not around ~8 years ago. This is my first forum(~4 years ago). But who cares! :laugh:

Congrats! She's A Beauty, and rare!!! :headbang:

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be careful our new friend, if those are the original tires (they will be rock hard) and its a little chilly, you are not going to have nearly the traction you think you would. I know you have read this before but it’s worth repeating because we know how excited you are to have your new car and we don’t want to see you or it become a statistic. Take your time and enjoy as you learn your new toy. Welcome and make sure you sign up with your local VCA.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice looking GTS.
I have a 99 RT/10, best year IMO.
Phhleese red is not the fastest. The fastest Viper i've seen is yellow with black stripes, but you can see the paint it tearing off it really is all balck underneath they were just trying to trick people into thinking that color was the fastest. Black is the fastest and best looking with some silver stripes!
It definately is Ronald McDonalds viper haha

OP
OP
L

lilviv

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okie Dokes, got the car today . . . drove her about 95 miles this afternoon, was quite fun. TOTALLY different than anything I've ever driven. Saw 160+ mph and did some twisties (as twisty as it gets in Dallas, TX) . . . car's damn loud, will take me a while to get comfortable . . . and now I just gotta get some power in there. :)

KModStang, since I've already done the big power turbo car, I think I am going to do a big blower setup, just something new and different. :) But, I have some learning to do on the car and its attitude, first, and I have a TON of research to do on blowers and Vipers.

The sound of the car is so awesome when you start it up, never had anything like that before. The ergonomics of the car are weird, but every car has its own attitude. :) I'm used to the 700+ RWHP car it replaced, so it didn't feel fast . . . but that just means I've got work to do, and that's one of the fun parts. :)