New York State registration question

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks, im moving back to NY and bringing my Viper with me. When i register the car in NY, will i have to pay sales tax on it even though i hold a AZ title for it?

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From another part of the site:
If you paid out-of-state sales tax, show the out-of-state dealer bill of sale. The bill of sale must show the purchase price and the amount of out-of-state sales tax paid to the dealer. Use form DTF-804 to claim credit for the state and local sales taxes you paid in the other state. This process can reduce the amount of your NYS sales tax if NYS and the other state have an agreement about sales tax.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the car just registered in a differnt state? if so i dont think you ahve to pay tax since you paid the tax when frist bought in other state.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think so. you are not purchasing it, its already been purchased.

just NY registration fees

no sales tax

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think so. you are not purchasing it, its already been purchased.

just NY registration fees

no sales tax

Right. It's a transfer of an already paid for and titled car. You would just pay NY DMV registration fees. By the way, welcome back to NY!

NY VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You only pay sales tax on a purchase...you are just changing the state of registration. No sales tax should have to be paid. What part of NY are you moving to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya