NO CATS ON 94 GEN 1 RT/10

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this same setup on my 94. Two major things to consider, there will be a lot of cabin resonance especially with the roof on. After a spirited drive of a couple hours or more my ears would ring for about 15 minutes more with the roof on. The other thing to consider is the heat on the side sills and in the foot well. Your feet will get very hot and your side sills will be untouchable. Also, your car will not pass inspection. Now for the good things, I loved the sound (my neighbors weren't thrilled but I didn't buy the car for them) the sound is awesome. You will pick up a couple of horses, but not worth the noise in the cabin. I went with a high flow cat it cooled down the side sills and the heat in the cabin a lot. The sills are warm to the touch after several hours of driving. Plus I picked up most of the horses. But the awesome sound is gone, it has a good sound, not great. I am going to go with the Roe mufflers (which I have heard on other cars and I will get that awesome sound back).

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Bad Snake,
You're freaking me out because I'm getting ready to do this. Everything I've read says the heat is caused by the cats so eliminating them solves the problem. Switching to a high flow cat does what?
Thanks!

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Belanger Headers, no cats, just straight thru a 3" Race Bullet muffler. I don't even have the isolation in the side sills and they are not even hot. My Viper does 11.85/120Mph on the drag strip with these mods. If you'r curious about the sound, just check this file. Picture and movie... http://www.venomousracing.com/Venomous_exhaust2002.htm

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock flex joint is a huge restriction to the system. The outlet is approx 2 1/4". With headers, yeah, hiflow cats and a straight pipe will ROCK! With the stock flexpipe, you are trying to pour oil through a funnel backwards. Lots of people have only seen limited gains (5hp?) by eliminating the cats. Sidesills will be cooler though.

High flow cats, race mufflers, and a 2 1/2" system is probably what you want.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did cut out the rear mufflers, they must be 20 lbs each... Being 220 lbs myself, I need all the help I can get.

Exh1.jpg

Sound is OK, plenty of drone, which does not bother me at all.
I actually wish it was louder.
So, my new plan is to take the Cats out and see what happens.
I do not worry about the neighbours either. When I crank up the Viper on Sunday morning they are long gone in the church. I seem to be the only posessed person around the block and its only getting worse....

I am getting bored of this 2F weather, when is the summer coming????

Lauri R/T 10

rsviper94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my side cover off yesterday to get ready to put a pair of dynomaxs on. Does the down pipe come loose from the flex pipe or are they welded together?

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had headers + 3" catless exhaust on the '94 I had. The side sills never got hot enough to burn. The headers did make the engine compartment warmer and maybe the footwell through that, but I never had to worry about burning my legs with the sills. I can't see anyway that removing the cats would increase side sill temps. One good thing is that the Gen 1 cars run very clean without the cats - almost no odor at all.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's say that I took a factory setup on a 95, removed the cats, and replaced the muffler with a high flow.

Since I would still have the factory manifolds, would the flex pipe be a restriction on the system? Would it be the smallest diameter in this equation?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc