No More Viper After 2009?

PERMABEAR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ***No More Viper After 2009??***

We currently are owning and driving our Vipers in an environment where the current national mindset is one that is still relatively inclusive of performance cars and their attributes. What will come to pass, with ever increasing certainty, is a new national culture that is far less supportive (in all senses of the word...social, legislative, risk insurance and regulatory requirements) of the far end of the auto spectrum that we all are in now.

The end result? A transitional car company, led in good measure by mercenaries, trying to find a new buyer in a new culture that will tout the "civic responsibility of the preservation of resources." All the while, they will be held to a new standard of strategic automotive managerial skill...."Can you pick the platform to bet your business on?"

Given that..what do you think will resonate with any auto companies/partnerships they approach?
"We have the funding and designs and tooling for a new generation of fuel efficient, profitably built cars for the world at large"
or
"We have the funding and new design for a limited run of 700 horsepower street racers that is targeting an ageing and diminishing group in the U.S. that can live with 15mpg?"

The changes are that big, the problem that large.
All the old modes and models for developement and execution are off the table for Cerberus....they knew that going in.
Cerberus is late, a dollar short and bought the wrong company...In short, give them a year and they will be desperate to release their interests. The least of their problems...and therefor their focus, is the Viper. Given that...it isn't their solution either.

Exactly. John Snow probably wouldn't know a Viper if it bit him.:D

D

DAMN YANKEE

1. DPMS Panter Arms (translation : AR15 Rifles and accesories)
2. Bushmaster Firearms (translation : Ar15/M16 Rifles and accesories)
3. Remington Arms (translation: Folks are you seeing a pattern here??)
5. SSA Global Technologies (translation: Locked in and abused software user base)
6. CBS (the Chrysler of media)

For some of you out there, your going to immediatley see the issue. Amazing isn't it? These are the most recent Cerberus acquisitions.

Ever see John Snow live...if that is even what you can call it? Think Thurston Howell after his first major stroke....

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From my understanding at the time of purchase all R & D on previous and current models is written off, and any money made on that by current or future sales is profit. I have also been told by more than one source that the Vipers days are numbered, by what i would consider two reliable sources of information. One of them stating that they were going to take the Viper out while it was on top, and with a bang, ala Jerry Seinfeld. And of course like all kinds of other information there is a good chance they are wrong. The rumor may also be started to bolster the demand for the car currently. As with most things the only way to tell what the future holds is to wait till it gets here.

VetteC5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch ... even as a Vette fan, this ***** big time if Dodge discontinues the Viper ... the Viper/Vette rivalry has kept the 2 lines active for over 15 years now ... the Viper has always set a benchmark for the Vette to reach (or beat :D) for that time ...but without it, I see the Vette managers resting on their laurels because there would be no competition in the US "American Sports Car" market in the 50K to 120K market ...

I never understood why Dodge did not do the reverse and sell more cars? GM is able to consistently sell 30K Corvettes, and for the past few years 5K of them have been Z06's ... with the small price differential, I never understood Dodge's 2K unit's production ... (this is not a slam on Viper, just a thought). We all know that Corvette is profitable because of it's volume and not it's per unit profit, but Dodge is looking at it on a per-unit basis ... which is sad.

In the end ... I hope the Viper stay's ... cause if all I see is ZR-1 vs GT-R for the next few years I will be very very sad.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 is the 17th model year of production for the Viper, WOW can you believe it ! It seems like yesterday i was at the NAIAS for the introduction of the Viper concept car.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:( :( :( I really hope the viper doesn't get the ax. Chrysler if you read this please keep the viper!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have dreamed of handbuilding my own 'perfect' version of the Daytona coupe, M4S(wraith), and AC Cobra one day. My plans included over 440ci. and a Chrysler driveline. The Viper outdid my dreams. I had not dreamed of 4 wheel ind. susp, V10 or a 6spd.

Thanks Chrysler for building my dream car. Chrysler building the Viper has allowed me to buy one and continue modifications that I'm certain would have come on the Viper, except for Gov. regs, warranty and 'average driver' abilities considerations.

Ted

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rumors are just that rumors. I talked with a local Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership owner for about 30 minutes today. He "hears" that there is a NEW Viper platform being developed as we speak. Now throw THAT in for another "rumor"! Believe what you choose to believe. I'm just going to drive my car, and really enjoy it NO MATTER what happens in the future. Can't really do anything about it anyway! I read some people say, "well, if they discontinue the Viper, I'll never buy another Chrysler product!" Think about it. 20,000 Viper 'owners", maybe, 30k additional Chrysler products cars/trucks in total that we purchased because of the Viper that we own, do you think that number would sway Cerebus from canceling the Viper? I think not, we are small potatoes in the big perspective of sales numbers. I doubt we could change a thing with our measly few numbers, although I would like to think that Chryslers image car would continue on in the future.

RAY S

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you are right about the "special editions" being especially valuable. Something tells me that the new ACR will go down in history as one of the most radical street legal machines of all time...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rumors are just that rumors. I talked with a local Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership owner for about 30 minutes today. He "hears" that there is a NEW Viper platform being developed as we speak. Now throw THAT in for another "rumor"! Believe what you choose to believe. I'm just going to drive my car, and really enjoy it NO MATTER what happens in the future. Can't really do anything about it anyway! I read some people say, "well, if they discontinue the Viper, I'll never buy another Chrysler product!" Think about it. 20,000 Viper 'owners", maybe, 30k additional Chrysler products cars/trucks in total that we purchased because of the Viper that we own, do you think that number would sway Cerebus from canceling the Viper? I think not, we are small potatoes in the big perspective of sales numbers. I doubt we could change a thing with our measly few numbers, although I would like to think that Chryslers image car would continue on in the future.

Didn't you start the "Another Viper Is Probably Done In 09 Tid Bit!" in the SRT-10 Forum saying the Viper won't continue past '09 because "There are no NEW engines that are being tested, or researched at Dodge"? Which is it? Is the Viper continuing to a new platform as you say here or is it dead after '09 as you say on the other thread?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch ... even as a Vette fan, this ***** big time if Dodge discontinues the Viper ... the Viper/Vette rivalry has kept the 2 lines active for over 15 years now ... the Viper has always set a benchmark for the Vette to reach (or beat :D) for that time ...but without it, I see the Vette managers resting on their laurels because there would be no competition in the US "American Sports Car" market in the 50K to 120K market ...

I never understood why Dodge did not do the reverse and sell more cars? GM is able to consistently sell 30K Corvettes, and for the past few years 5K of them have been Z06's ... with the small price differential, I never understood Dodge's 2K unit's production ... (this is not a slam on Viper, just a thought). We all know that Corvette is profitable because of it's volume and not it's per unit profit, but Dodge is looking at it on a per-unit basis ... which is sad.

In the end ... I hope the Viper stay's ... cause if all I see is ZR-1 vs GT-R for the next few years I will be very very sad.

I believe the reason for small Viper production numbers has to do with CAFE. Not sure though.

And thanks for the Viper/Vette sentiment. Likewise, I am happy the Vette is around. Everytime some whiner comes here to complain about the lack of electronic nannies and luxury ride I point them in the direction of GM and wish them the best. :D

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate to see the Viper go, as well. I don't think it will have any impact on the Corvette, however. Corvette has always come up with "special projects." There were several high performance Vettes that were slated for normal production (as opposed to simply being a concept car), long before the Viper was on the streets. The 1963 Grand Sport, 1969 ZL-1, and super beast Sledgehammer in 1988. Then of course the original Z06 in 1963, and original ZR-1 (ok ok, so the new one is just ZR1 without the hyphen), that was fully designed by 1989, even though it didn't make it into production until 1990. I'm sure there are others I'm missing, but I'm just trying to think of the few I know of off the top of my head.

Those cars were built to compete with only a very small group of vehicles, just as the current Z06(s?) compete with the limited production Vipers (and other exotics).

That being said, I still really want to see the Viper line continue. It's an extremely unique and awesome car, and is one of the few vehicles on the road that ignites passion in car enthusiasts. I don't think it will hurt the Corvette line at all, but I think it would certainly hurt passion and sports car enthusiasm overall.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the dream weekend in Detroit I have to say that there are a lot of rumors out and seeing and hearing the SRT guys talking and acting means for me: the end is near - no doubt. Hope I am wrong, but ...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those cars were built to compete with only a very small group of vehicles, just as the current Z06(s?) compete with the limited production Vipers (and other exotics).

Performance-wise yes. Consumer-wise I don't know who GM is targeting with the Vette. Porsche? Ferrari? But certainly not Viper owners.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the dream weekend in Detroit I have to say that there are a lot of rumors out and seeing and hearing the SRT guys talking and acting means for me: the end is near - no doubt. Hope I am wrong, but ...

Still not worried. In the 50 year history of the Corvette they've gone through their fair share of rumors too. Same with the Mustang. Even the Fbody left and is now returning in 2009.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Firepower was on display at Russo & Steele Auction along with the new minivan and 08 Viper, and SRT-4 Caliber . Chrysler was the main sponsor.

The question keeps coming up as to why they continue to circulate the Firepower if there are no plans to build it.

Comments I hear from people when they are looking it over are all positive. They think it looks like an Aston. Big power, Viper underpinnings, nice lines. It is not just a bulkier Crossfire.

Seems like it could be a success and be a good fit to be built in the same plant as Viper.

Maybe well get the Firepower after all!

PBR

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was disappointed with the cancelling of the Firepower. I personally planned on buying one for the wife. Now she'll have to settle for a Challenger.

Last edited:

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance-wise yes. Consumer-wise I don't know who GM is targeting with the Vette. Porsche? Ferrari? But certainly not Viper owners.

I think consumer-wise, the theory is "the best performance value in the world." I don't think the cars are built to specifically compete with any one car in particular, but GM likes to boast about having similar performance to <such and such> cars, at a fraction of the price.

I have always personally thought that the Viper and Corvette were both in a different class, and also in a class of their own. The Vette being mass produced, putting down similar performance numbers that exotics do, and being financially attainable for a large majority of people (as well as AVAILABLE in number), all while being able to maintain as easily as most daily driver vehicles.

The Viper, in my eyes, was always a step above that. A much more exotic look, feel, design, and presence overall, but at a higher price tag, and with much lower availability. Putting it in a class that most people can't afford, yet far far cheaper than other exotics....several that had inferior performance numbers to the Viper. Yet, very easily attainable for the upper middle class, and even blue collar workers.

I like the rarity of the Viper, as I consider it one of its greatest aspects. A distinguishable characteristic of the car, just as much as the rear end of it. I think if it were ever mass produced, or if there was an "entry level" Viper, it would defeat everything that the vehicle was.

I am very saddened at the idea of it not being continued, but won't believe for one second that it is gone FOREVER. I just hope that WHEN it comes back, it is reborn in the same iconic fashion that it was created in.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think all this means is that 4 years from now we will be posting how is NEON running against that AVEO have you cracked 15second in the quarter on that fuel cell yet :lmao:....Look at this this way they have to meet those fuel economy requirements by average MPG by units they make and I talked to my buddy who does developing with Chrysler said they are focusing on new technology with the vehicles at mass production level and not focusing on Vipers considering the financial trouble they are in....Kind of a last ditch effort before Chrysler becomes Studabaker in Detroit :crazy2:....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21