No More Viper After 2009?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: ***No More Viper After 2009??***

Potential buyers are like potential investors to a company pondering their reorganization strategy...

Money on the counter talks. E-mails blow.

While I wont disagree with you on this point, look at the percentage of people ******** that ALREADY have a D/C/J product sitting in the garage- or perhaps more than one. I would say that they are a group to listen to- they already put money in their pocket once, extremely likely to do it again!

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

New Years resolution ........... ignore rumors then react if true by breaking New Years resolution number 2 (complain less). B/W resolution 1 was smile more, particularly when driving the Vipers.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i am not suprised.

the mayan calendar ends in December of 2012, which is of course, the month the world is going to end. so, why would anyone even consider making a Gen V viper?

it makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

J ACR2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Wojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A buddy of mine was visiting a plant in southern Ontario that makes Viper body parts( the front and/or rear plastic moldings) and he was told that their production ends this summer. No more Vipers or, a different Viper?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DENY

While I will leave it to Mr. Carroll and company to comment more specifically, I can tell you that four of us had a private meeting with Jim Press and Deborah Wahl Meyer a few weeks ago in Detroit. If you haven't Googled them already, Mr. Press is Vice Chairman and President of Chrysler Corporation while Ms. Wahl Meyer is Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. Scheduled for only a half hour (and very, very hard for anybody to get that much time on their docket), we spent the better part of 45 minutes discussing the Viper and the VCA, including its future. In his private meeting room on the top floor of their headquarters is only ONE picture - a large framed photo of the Viper at Le Mans. He drives a 6-speed SRT Ram as his daily driver.

Put it this way, VOI 10 is very much alive and kicking. Not something you do for a discontinued model. As for Herb, only Herb can answer that specifically. However I know that Chrysler has offered some VERY attractive retirement packages to several executives in order to reduce overall costs. Mike Stephens went early while it was really only a matter of time for Herb in my very humble opinion. Oh, and his retirement was announced a week or two ago - not today or this week.

While I fully respect Doug and his source, I think this originated somewhere else. Maybe the Corvette guys are rolling on the floor right now as their ZR1 didn't make quite the bang expected - but this rumor helps ease their pain. Or maybe a dealer is trying to sell inventory and one of his sales people said it and it became gospel. Throw one "legitimate" person in the middle of the game of "telephone" and it validates the whole conversation by default. The Conner Avenue news from months ago sparked an identical rumor which was systematically denied - and then they announced an ACR.

Is it true? I suspect only a few in Auburn Hills know for sure, but I wouldn't bring out the crying towels just yet...

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That don't make sense, they announce production of the ACR and then the next model year they are going to put an end to everything with the Vette ZR1 not even reaching the production stage yet?

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:lmao:

Why do you guys believe such trash talk?
Herb announced 2 weeks ago he's retiring so what does this "Thursday" have to do with anything.

You guys need to take a :chillpill:

D

DAMN YANKEE

Chill Pill......sure, nice icebergs.....

You must be registered for see images

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DAMN YANKEE

DENY

While I will leave it to Mr. Carroll and company to comment more specifically, I can tell you that four of us had a private meeting with Jim Press and Deborah Wahl Meyer a few weeks ago in Detroit. If you haven't Googled them already, Mr. Press is Vice Chairman and President of Chrysler Corporation while Ms. Wahl Meyer is Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. Scheduled for only a half hour (and very, very hard for anybody to get that much time on their docket), we spent the better part of 45 minutes discussing the Viper and the VCA, including its future. In his private meeting room on the top floor of their headquarters is only ONE picture - a large framed photo of the Viper at Le Mans. He drives a 6-speed SRT Ram as his daily driver.

Put it this way, VOI 10 is very much alive and kicking. Not something you do for a discontinued model. As for Herb, only Herb can answer that specifically. However I know that Chrysler has offered some VERY attractive retirement packages to several executives in order to reduce overall costs. Mike Stephens went early while it was really only a matter of time for Herb in my very humble opinion. Oh, and his retirement was announced a week or two ago - not today or this week.

While I fully respect Doug and his source, I think this originated somewhere else. Maybe the Corvette guys are rolling on the floor right now as their ZR1 didn't make quite the bang expected - but this rumor helps ease their pain. Or maybe a dealer is trying to sell inventory and one of his sales people said it and it became gospel. Throw one "legitimate" person in the middle of the game of "telephone" and it validates the whole conversation by default. The Conner Avenue news from months ago sparked an identical rumor which was systematically denied - and then they announced an ACR.

Is it true? I suspect only a few in Auburn Hills know for sure, but I wouldn't bring out the crying towels just yet...

As a paranoid conspiracy theororist...that does it...our fate is sealed
icon7.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So..... If this were to be true and some sort of official word was announced (just day dreaming) Is there any particular Viper you would go buy now, knowing the era was over? Low mile GTS? ACR? 1992? GT2? 600hp beast? If 2009 were the end, which car would you want in your garage 10 years from now? Hmmmm....
My 01 low mile Sapphire w/stripes GTS. ;) :lmao:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:lmao:

Why do you guys believe such trash talk?
Herb announced 2 weeks ago he's retiring so what does this "Thursday" have to do with anything.

You guys need to take a :chillpill:

If nothing else it means it's his last day of work..:D

- Mine was 9 years ago on Dec 31, 1998 at 48yo. :2tu: Now every day is Saturday !

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Pvt Equity guys bought Chrysler, they said they'd skinny the product line...that's (unfortunately for the Viper) what they do. DC had way too many sku's orderable by the dealers - narrowing the line is smart for the business and one of the best ways for the new owners to earn higher returns on the assets they bought.

The Viper as an icon and a brand has value, so if the rumor is true, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PE guys sell the brand and all/part of the Connor Ave plant to a reputable tuner/specialty car co.

If a specialty company continued to develop and produce the Viper, they might pay more attention to their customers - at least initially, and all that could actually be good for the iper and our community.

OK.....glass half full...

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Wish I had a dime for every time it has been rumored and for every post like this that the Viper is no more as I'd be able buy myself a new ACR.

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A buddy of mine was visiting a plant in southern Ontario that makes Viper body parts( the front and/or rear plastic moldings) and he was told that their production ends this summer. No more Vipers or, a different Viper?

They will not need those Viper body parts - because the new all wheel drive viper will need new ones!!!! :<)

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes heard the end prodution year is 2009 a month ago. heard from a very reliable source, who is in the automotive biz in detroit.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a new 08 Dodge Caliber for my youngest daughter.
3 reasons why I bought the Caliber....

1. Safety! The car has a very high safety rating and after loosing my oldest daughter in a car crash in november that was the most important thing to me. I wanted to make sure she was in as safe a car as possible and her cavalier had a terrible crash test rating.
2. Because of the Viper!!!! I had bought a new 06 Viper last year and love it.
3. Roanoke Motors!!! They are great people to work with.

Also as long as the Viper is being built I will continue to buy more Chrysler
product. Will probably be looking at a 300 this summer.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wish I had a dime for every time it has been rumored and for every post like this that the Viper is no more as I'd be able buy myself a new ACR.

Rumors are just that and should be taken with a grain of salt. But in this case, when the word is spread by Dan at DC Performance, it is hard to ignore.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My view is slightly different.

I believe that in 09 the standard Viper will have additional aerodynamic modifications to nose and tail to set things up for a ********** of LeMans.

This would be the ultimate halo over Cerebus.

This would showcase their technology, and bring huge amounts of advertising and marketing value for less than anything else they could do.

Leading the way will be the success of the ACR on tracks all around the USA.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

........While I will leave it to Mr. Carroll and company to comment more specifically, I can tell you that four of us had a private meeting with Jim Press and Deborah Wahl Meyer a few weeks ago in Detroit.........

"Mr Carroll and company..."

.........isn't that YOU ?

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why would they be retiring the Viper when they are contemplating the Viper for ALMS GT2 for 2009? And as someone stated earlier, why would they introduce the ACR and then cancel it a year later? I would think that in the worst case scenario that they would sell them up until the new CAFE rules simply make it impossible to sell them. But on the other hand, it will make our cars worth more. All I know is that I have mine and am looking for another one. This just means one more reason to get one soon.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Alabaster...you are right...time to get another.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Thanks for enlightening us regarding these "rumors."

I'm looking forward to Chrysler's future success and will continue to indulge myself with their upcoming products.

Happy New Year my friend!
Doug

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think that Chris's response on the other thread - DENIED - is correct. Not only because of the source of Chris's data but also based on the way parts are usually ordered for a new edition. The engine, tranny, clutch and GKN Visco-Lok differential are new to the '08 year. Are you telling me that Chrysler only ordered two model years of these parts after spending the money for the R&D to develop them? I don't believe it. One of you out there, perhaps someone who posts on ALLPAR, knows how many of the clutches, etc. were ordered. If so, let us know what the story is. On the other hand, the pistons in the '08 engine are the same as those used in the SRT 8 vehicles. If Chrysler is developing a VVT, 6.4 liter eight cylinder engine with 500 plus HP for use in one or more of its SRT 8 vehicles, my guess is that they could use the tranny, clutch, etc. with that engine. I would feel better if I saw some visible signs of a significant advertising budget for the Viper. So far, I have not seen same. The failure to have an '08 Viper at the Miami Beach auto show was either not a good sign or an idiotic marketing error.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21