Normal Temp

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT/10 and it has always run what I consider warm. The image that I included shows the 3 positions that it will run at. The coolest is in the winter with the heater on. The middle temp is when I am on the interstate cruising. The last and hottest is when I’m in stop and go traffic. I would like for it to go no hotter then the middle temp and would love for it to stay at the coolest temp shown, but it worries me when it starts to push the hottest temp shown. If any one knows what I should do or if this is normal please let me know. I am just worried about over heating.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is normal. I didn't feel comfortable with it sitting so high in traffic, so I put in a Roe 180 degree thermo. The temp will still climb, but it will take longer to getthere in stop and go traffic. As the gauge reaches the last mark on your picture, your fan kicks into high and it comes back to the 200 mark, correct?

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes. It will come back down to the 200 mark if you sit there for a little time. Its just when you start going again it will rise then it will cool off it you can keep going but it you have to stop and go and stop and go it makes me feel like it could overheat. What does it take to replace the thermo?

Thanks for your help.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Gen I, the thermo is at the back of the motor. I did not have to take off the intake, but it make the job easier. Just adds work. I took off the wipers, cowl, then proceeded to unbolt the 3 bolts(I think) and remove the thermo housing. It is a tight fit without taking the intake manifold off, but can be done. Make sure to clean off the old gasket completely before the re-install.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What temp is the first second and third lines on the "190" position?
what temp is the last mark at the 3/4 gage position?

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

tito

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all, im new in the forum. I'm from Panama, central america, so down here is real hot weather the whole year. The problem is the factory settings of the fans. I figured it out, how to run cooler... I put a thermo switch in the metal hose(the one that going to the radiator), and its coneccted to the fan(hi selection), so when the temps reach 195, the fan kicks in(i dont have to wait like, 200-210) and it shut down when temp go down to 185... so my car its allways in the range 185-195.
I hope i can help you...
I have pictures of the installation, but i don't know how to post them.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I switch to an aluminum radiator should I also change the thermo. or will the radiator be enough to cool her down?

Thanks

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I switch to an aluminum radiator should I also change the thermo. or will the radiator be enough to cool her down?

Thanks

What you're experiencing is pretty normal. An aluminum radiator will be an improvement. You'll also have to upgrade the fan unit. Your stock fan just doesn't move enough air. As you've stated yourself, the temp is fine when you're cruising on the highway. It just creeps up when you're in traffic or stopped. That means one thing, YOUR NOT MOVING ENOUGH AIR THROUGH THE RADIATOR.

Getting a 180 thermostat will just mean that it opens at 180 instead of 190. After 190, they're both open so any temp above that needs to be addressed elsewhere other then the thermostat. Like fan, radiator, air in the system. But before you kick down that kind of dough for a new radiator, try this trick with a 180 thermostat.

By txlen:
ok..here's my little trick....take the sean roe thermostat look at it carefully..and determine where it moves in the housing when it opens and closes...it's jus above the brass ring about 1/8 inch...take and drill 2 holes 3/16 size in oppposite sides of the t-stat....i've found this equalizes the pressure and the car runs cooler...i've done about 7 cars this way as a test and it really works...never gets above the second mark at the top in the middle and it usually runs around 170-180 going down the road...even here in tx.............jus my 2 cents.........Len

--------------------
NORTH STAR DODGE VIPER TECH
SAN ANTONIO TEXAS
ROE RACING DEALER AND INSTALLER
Ph. 210-341-2251

I replaced my stock radiator with a fluidyne w/oil cooler and twin Spal fans. Solved the heat problems but also cost my around $1,500. Try the holes in the thermostat first.

Here's my set-up

2827fluidynetwinfan2s-med.jpg

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks VPRVENM97,
I think that I am starting to understand this problem a little better now. My thermostat really is not the problem because at 190 it opens and its the lack of air in stop and go traffic that making the heat. I need to solve the problem of getting the air through the radiator in that kind of traffic. If I only replace the stock fans would that solve the problem? Or would I have to replace the radiator also?

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... My thermostat really is not the problem because at 190 it open and its the lack of air in stop and go traffic that making the heat. I need to solve the problem of getting the air through the radiator in that kind of traffic. If I only replace the stock fans would that solve the problem? Or would I have to replace the radiator also?

I'm curious in that also. 190 is minimum in my car. I don't like it when it gets to 225. I would prefer the temp to just stay close to 190 and not have the temp swings.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree 190 is fine 225 is too close to over heating for me. I want to have more of a cushion between the hottest temp it will run normally so if it starts to overheat I will have time to turn it off. If it is at 225 and decides to overheat I might not notice in time or have a chance to turn it off, but if 190 was the max temp and I saw it go to 225 I would have time to do something before it was to late.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks VPRVENM97,
I think that I am starting to understand this problem a little better now. My thermostat really is not the problem because at 190 it opens and its the lack of air in stop and go traffic that making the heat. I need to solve the problem of getting the air through the radiator in that kind of traffic. If I only replace the stock fans would that solve the problem? Or would I have to replace the radiator also?

Before you do anything, try the trick recommended by txlen. If that doesn't work, try the fan upgrade. Check with partsrack to see what kind of OEM upgrades are available for your year.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even on a 20 degree day outside when warmed up my temp is never lower than 190 and also rises quite a bit at a stop light or slow crawl. I haven't had the car out in the summer heat yet, I can imagine it's going to get quite toasty in there.