Not impressed with welds

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone take a good look at the welds on their frame?I have seen a lot better welding jobs.Hope the welds on the viper are adequate.Makes me wonder how much stiffer the car could be with better welding techniques.Hope the welder or the machine that did the welding is soon retired,of course too late for me.Are racers rewelding the chassis? Bruce

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bruce,
you must have finally got her.. congrats..
i saw a yellow gts with black stripes yesterday on the 90.
did you change you mind on color?
smile.gif
just kiddin
smile.gif

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every one of our raqce Vipers has had the steering rack rewelded with gussets as this is a problem spot that brakes when road racing. I think DC even made a recall on that and have a gusset kit for it.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know the viper frame is galvanised, but I'm very pleased to hear it. I had noticed the spatter in places and wondered how it got there. Now I understand.
smile.gif

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everytime I rebuild any part that isn't a hi-temp part or that doesn't need threadlock, I use loads of waxoyl as an assembly coating. It works great in cold old even wetter Ireland.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We kid around and say "see there, you don't need no gas when you wire weld, take a look at this" at our shop
smile.gif
. Seriously, they should dip the frames AFTER all the welding is done. It would reduce the spatter and the weld would also be galvanized. We had a bare, unpainted new frame in the race shop that came straight from the manufacturer in Canada and all the welds had rust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery