Oil Change $

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much do you guys pay for oil changes on your Gen III. Today I got my oil changed by a supporting dealership and they charged me $175. If I paid too much I will give the dealership a chance to make things right, otherwise I am going to post their name. Please let me know.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time I asked a dealer, I think it was about 140....that is why I dont take it there anymore

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much do you guys pay for oil changes on your Gen III. Today I got my oil changed by a supporting dealership and they charged me $175. If I paid too much I will give the dealership a chance to make things right, otherwise I am going to post their name. Please let me know.

You got ripped off!!! On average, you shoud pay around $125 at a dealership. The actual cost if you bought the supplies yourself would be around $75 (10 qts of 0W-40 Mobil 1 @ $6 per quart and $6 for a Mopar filter or $10 for a Mobil 1 M1-204). The other 60 or so bucks is for Viper labor tax. I refuse to give a dealership the satisfaction of making $60 off an oil change that's as simple and easy as any other vehicle (and I'm only speaking of the Gen. III) - so I change my own oil.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dealers charge a lot ... 11 quarts of Mobil 1 is part of the reason ... it's a Viper is the other part of the reason

I just had the dealer change my oil and rear diff fluid (after breaking in new gears, and I supplied the Royal Purple gear oil) ... and it was $285.

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an oil change a few days ago at a Whittier Dodge in Whittier, CA and was charged $113.16 after tax. However I found that they only used 9 Qt of oil. The dealership said the car wouldn't take more than 9 Qt and when I check the oil level with the dip stick, oil level was normal. Is this right or should I add one more qt? :confused:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I buy 2 cases @ 32.00 a case (Costco/san jose) filter is 10 bucks....do it myself and have extra oil.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i spend about 90 bucks at the local oil change place. I hang out in the pit with the guys and they treat my car with more respect than my local dealer.

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old question but a good one! Same answer for me but don't Puuuuck. Trusty WalMart for me. $65.00 two priors, but upgrated to better Fram oil filter. Now $82.00 here in AZ @ WallyMart. They almost demand that I watch the procedure! They're so giddy to touch a Viper, not going to make a simple mistake unlike a ripoff dealership. It's an American Engine, not an a Italiano, or Mercedes that tell's you to change every 15,000. WalMart won't touch my wife's 2003 Mercedes CLK 430 though! Not brain surgery changing oil, but I'd prefer watching, than not watching and trusting a dealership or high-end shop.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I change my own oil. Buying Mobil 1 in 5 quart bottle oil runs about $55 (for 10 quarts) and the filter $5.

One bonus is that the underside of the Viper looks very trick and you get to enjoy it during the job.

I have the oil and additives already for its 18,000 differential oil change.

When you change your own you can tighten the filter and drain plugs to their correct torque specs. I have yet to see a dealer torque the drain plug let alone the filter.

splochocki

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I paid $180 for my last oil change. It's also the last time somebody beside myself will change it. This also gave me a reason to buy a lift for my house.

It still ****** me off just thinking about them taking me for $100 (labor/profit) to change my oil.

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I received a free oil change card in the mail from the local dodge dealer which did not specify typy of oil or car. Once I arrived at the dealer they were suprised to see the viper but honored the discount I presented, I only paid for the additional 2 quarts of mobile one & the new oilpan bolt and gasket which I change at every oil change.

------------------------------------
06 SRT COUPE
06 LAMBO GALLARDO
1966 427/VETTE
1972 VETTE/VERT

JJB500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You got ripped for sure! Johnson Dodge in NJ charged me $98.00.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The two hands that typed this post are the only two that touch my Vipers for oil changes!!!
The Wizard takes over when I need anything else!!!!

Reaction score
I think that the rates you are seeing from a reputable Viper tech equiped dealer are around $140. We have to buy the Mobil1 from Dodge and I have yet to see it availible at the Walmarts at least in these parts. I know that our cost from Dodge is more than $6.60 per quart and we charge $7 to the customer. The filter is $6 and the new Dodge Viper filter is $11. The rest that you pay for is a knowlagable Viper tech $25-$35 per hour to inspect your car and let you know if anything else may need attention, total gross to a good dealer $20-$25 bucks. You will not recieve this from just a lube tech that comes with a $60 oil change. Granted if you do not need this service it does seem high but that is a small price compared to an oversight that would cost you dearly if your vehicle really needs more. It cost a dealer alot of money to have these quality techs ready to serve you if something major is needed, so please at least consider these points and try to support their efforts to serve your needs.

Sorry for the rant,

Mark Jorgensen

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark, you make some very good points. However, if every so called Five Star Dodge dealership was like Woodhouse, Tator, and a few others, I personally wouldn't mind spending a few extra piece-of-mind bucks. The big issue here is there are some owners paying almost $100 dollars more for the exact same service and some service techs don't even know which grade of oil to use per the specific model year even though its printed right on the cap! Furthermore, it shouldn't matter if the dealership is in Mississippi or California. $100 is too wide a margin for an oil change. :headbang:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

I could not have said it any better than you did. But the differences in pricing is also reflected by where the dealer is located as different dealers in different parts of the country have different labor rates, different cost of living issues, and different environmental issues and taxes that they must contend with. I do agree with Flex's in that there are dealers out there who see the name viper and decide to try to rip you off. As the old saying goes, Buyer beware.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that the rates you are seeing from a reputable Viper tech equiped dealer are around $140. We have to buy the Mobil1 from Dodge and I have yet to see it availible at the Walmarts at least in these parts. I know that our cost from Dodge is more than $6.60 per quart and we charge $7 to the customer. The filter is $6 and the new Dodge Viper filter is $11. The rest that you pay for is a knowlagable Viper tech $25-$35 per hour to inspect your car and let you know if anything else may need attention, total gross to a good dealer $20-$25 bucks. You will not recieve this from just a lube tech that comes with a $60 oil change. Granted if you do not need this service it does seem high but that is a small price compared to an oversight that would cost you dearly if your vehicle really needs more. It cost a dealer alot of money to have these quality techs ready to serve you if something major is needed, so please at least consider these points and try to support their efforts to serve your needs.

Sorry for the rant,

Mark Jorgensen

Do your mechanics use a torque wrench and the torque specs for the oil plug and oil filter or tell you they just tighten them from experience?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys dont deal with a local mechanic that does work on your other vehicles ?

that oil change shouldn't be anywhere near $175.

get a local guy who wont rip you off and see what he says. if you dont know him, ask if you can drive it up onto the lift and off.

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an oil change a few days ago at a Whittier Dodge in Whittier, CA and was charged $113.16 after tax. However I found that they only used 9 Qt of oil. The dealership said the car wouldn't take more than 9 Qt and when I check the oil level with the dip stick, oil level was normal. Is this right or should I add one more qt? :confused:

The manual states 10 quarts and I used all 10 when I serviced it recently. Oil level read normal. I suggest if you have the time (30 minutes max if you have a lift) change the oil yourself. It gives you chance to inspect things and also perform other maintenance-related items such as wheel hub bearings, inspecting exhaust system, brake lines and suspension components. It's not everyday you get the chance to inspect the undercarriage of a race car!

D

DAMN YANKEE

double ditto ZO6KLR..

Man needs to have the oil in his Viper changed.

Man makes some form of a decision that results in wanting others to change his oil.

Man walks into a dealership and tells them to change his oil.

Man comes back and the oil is changed and there is a bill for services.

Man reviews and pays the bill.

Man leaves the dealership and at some point is concerned he may have paid too much.

Man asks LOTS of people what should be paid for simular services.

Based on what OTHERS tell him, Man will now act on the dealership.

Might I suggest the following?

Man needs to learn to ask how much services will cost him BEFORE he agrees to them. This lesson will serve him well throughout his whole life.

The issue isn't the dealership, or what they charged. Every dealership I know of will tell you what they charge to change oil if they are asked.

The issue may well be personal responsibility and effective life skills.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread is tempting me to put a sign out in my front yard:

VIPER OIL CHANGES $100

Since I don't have a grease pit or hoist it might take me a couple more minutes than the guys at Jiffy Lube but I'll get 'er done fer ya within a half-hour. However, I do have a Harbor Freight low profile racing jack and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are lucky!
Over here, 10 qts of 0W40 Mobil 1 cost about $180 (from the supermarket, imagine at the dealership!), and the Mopar filter $12… That *****! :bonker:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect to the excellent Viper Techs who service our vehicles, and contrary to public opinion, the wheel was not re-invented when the Viper was born. The bottom of a Viper, and most of the working parts under there, aren't a heck of a lot different than any other car for spotting potential problems. I bring my own 'different' oil/filter, and pay $10 bucks labor to get it changed. I, and the mechanic, (not a quick lube joint) do the 'looking around' underneath. Unless we're going to do something else to the car, it's 20 minutes from drive in to drive out. It's worked for almost 7 years and 64,000 miles. Our car is run pretty hard and has only seen a Viper Tech twice. ....Coolant/PS/clutch fluid change and the steering gear recall.

Perhaps if I lived closer than several hundred miles from the closest Viper Tech, I would have utilized them more, but never for an oil change.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960