Oil cooler line leak

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just replaced my oil cooler lines as they appear to have rubbed together and one of them became frayed and poked a hole in the other one. My dealer could not get one of the two lines so after a week of waiting and coming up empty, I went to a hydraulics shop that makes up hoses for industrial equipment and they made up two new ones for me. The ends appear to be standard (the person who made them was worried that the hoses would be special due to an automotive application). They both cost about the same as one of the Dodge hoses and they are double outer stainless steel braided (as opposed to single braided from Dodge).

Is there anything I can put between the two lines to prevent this from happening again? I'm worried about the heat factor so I don't think a rubber widget between the two lines will help. The two oil lines are in such a location that it is inevitable that they will rub against each other again, even though I tried to separate them. I had 37K miles on the Viper before they went.

Any help is much appreciated.
Santo

P.S. On a side note, I can take the front fascia off in minutes now as this was the easiest way to get to the hoses ;-)

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Santo,
This happend to me 2 years ago on the way to Tator's Dodge in New York. Next club meeting I'll show the fix we did on my RT. It happens to a lot of Vipers, and in time will happen to a helluva lot more. Dodge will not acknowledge the problem. Too bad, the oil can bleed dry before you ever know what's happening.

Sonny

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Santo,
What we do with the oil cooler line is take a piece of 5/8th heater hose about 6" long and slice down the hose, then put it between the two lines and wirer tie them together. :cool: