Oil pan gasket question!!

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got a new gasket coming for my 02gts question is when i take the pan off and clean it up does the gasket have a ridge on the lip that it sits into?? Or does it just lap flat on the lip that mates to the block?? Question is if it just sits there wouldnt it be hard to hold level and not move while bolting it up into place??? And for anyone that has done it do you use any silcone on block side or oil pan side?? thanks alot!!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no ridge persay. The oil pan bolts will center it up in the proper position. Some will dab silicone on the corners where it meets the front timing cover and rear main seal.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said! The last time I replace my pan gasket, I lifted it in to position and held one side up with my knee (I was laying under the car) while I put bolts into in each corner to hold it in place. It is a good idea to check the windage tray screws when you have the pan out. Mine were loose and several people have found them laying in the pan. Loctite is a good idea when reinstalling the windage tray screws.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Idea to clean the oil pan screw holes in the bottom of the block using some rattle can brake cleaner, also clean the threads of the screws. I used RTV Silicone on the joints of the block where the Timing cover joins the block and also at the rear of the engine :) Also totally agree with checking the Sump pan screws, mine were also loose!

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perfect guys thanks alot for the help and heads up on the loose bolts I'll clean everything up great!! Got a couple cans of cleaner how long before i should put the oil back i'n?? If i finish up that night just wait till the moring?? Or does it really matter??

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think it really matters, As by the time you get all the bolts back in around the pan and are ready to fill the car up with fresh oil, things should be dry and sealed by then :)

Good luck,
Mark. UK

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks man!! Im goin to do it tommorow also ordered a new washer for the drain plug UNREAL price 35$ for a washer!!!! I cant be bother to wait for one to come on ebay as im not getting back under it for a while lol!! Or a few auto parts places said just take it in and they could match one up is it copper or nylon??

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will line up with the lip of the block and since others covered the windage tray screws, my 2 cents is dont forget your torque wrench when putting the bolts back in. TQ them to 95 INCH lbs, going in somewhat of a "crossing" pattern. Don't just torque them one after the next, get them all snug tight then zig zag back and forth across the pan keeping track of which bolts you've tightened already then give them all a final check at the 95 in lb setting.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally would not pay 35bucks for a washer.
I dont remember there being one on my pan plug but if i was in your situation i would have called Tator'sGarage and asked him what material it is and picked one up at the hardware or autoparts store. (at the same time i would have ordered a few Mopar Oil Filters from him:2tu:)

TQ them to 95 INCH lbs, going in somewhat of a "crossing" pattern. Don't just torque them one after the next, get them all snug tight then zig zag back and forth across the pan keeping track of which bolts you've tightened already then give them all a final check at the 95 in lb setting.

Yea, finger tight first then the correct way to torqure any long gasket is from the CENTER out:

Examples:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

The goal is to have the gasket spread out from the center out.
If you start from the ends and work your way in then the gasket could end up slightly buckling. -BAD
If you start from one end and work to the other the final few bolts/gasket may not line up perfectly. -BAD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte