Oil Problems

VENOMUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with their Viper using oil? I have a 2004 SRT-10 with only 1800 miles. At 800 miles the oil light came on and when the dealer checked it, it was 4 to 5 quarts low. They said it must not have been filled correctly at the factory. The same problem occured at 1800 miles with it being 4 quarts low on oil. There is no signs of an oil leak and the car does not smoke. WHATS GOING ON?????????? Can anyone help me

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 quarts in 1000 miles might not produce much smoke. One simple test is to sprint thru a couple gears at night, headlights from cars behind you will show the smoke, that you can't see in the daytime. Cars that are smoking to the point you can see it in the daytime are usually burning a quart of oil every 100 miles or so. The car probably has a broken ring, or bad valve seal. If it's a valve seal it will tend to smoke on take off after idling. I know this from all the oil burners I owned growing up. I even got a ticket once for it, when I was 16. That car was burning a quart every day.

Skip W

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the plugs and check them for oil deposits.If they are heavily coated then you may not have valve stem oil seals.
This is a easy fix that does not require the engine tobe pulled out to fix it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Michael,

Try the above. Mine is an 04 also and doesn't burn any oil between changes (2500 miles). Something is and should be visually, obviously wrong. Missing valve stem seals would do this and your plugs would be heavily deposited. Good luck.