Oil Question

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read a bunch and heard many people for either Mobil 1 or Amsoil and others too. I pretty much decided that I would like to use Amsoil in my 2000 supercharged RT/10. I had run with Mobil 1 in the past on the modified motor before the SC and when I pulled the cam there was some wear on it that I didn't like. I'm not saying it was due to the oil, but I would like to make a change. Question for the people that are in the know:
What weight oil should I run? I only run the car on the street & I live in NY where it gets cold and hot outside. Any dealers close to me on Long Island? I just broke the motor in on non synthetic oil and I am ready to change it up.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at diesel oils. A supercharged engine might have a little more blowby than a NA engine (due to higher cylinder pressure), so more detergents (high temperature additives that keep pistons & ring lands clean) would be beneficial. The high cylinder pressures in on-road diesels have gotten diesel formulations to specifically address skirt varnish, ring land deposits, liner wear, and piston deposits. Whatever did get into the oil would be handled by the diesel oil's high dispersant treat rate (since diesel engines produce soot, lots of soot is found in the oil, and the dispersant keeps the soot from either forming sludge or forming clumpy balls that aggravate wear.) Diesel oils are also not bound to the lower anti-wear additive treat rates that passenger cars unfortunately are; phosphorus levels in passcar oils are down to 0.08%, while diesel oils are likely still up around 0.12%. Diesel oils in a mineral oil grade are easily found in SAE 14W-40 and also as a synthetic in a SAE 5W-40 grade. While a 15W-xx is good to around 15F (I'm in NY also and have used this year-round) if you want the best of everything, Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1, and some other diesel oils can be found in the 5W-40 grade. As long as you're not concerned with fuel economy (smirk) you would get a pretty robust oil with a diesel formulation. Any of them.... they are all so far overformulated compared to a passcar oil, it doesn't matter which one you go with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32