Ometer 8243 Factory Fit NAV/DVD Replacement Stereo Headunit.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to give you a second point of view. I'm not all that thrilled with my unit. The interface is really bad. Changing sources is a bear. And just try to select a song from an sd card while driving... Impossible. The gps seems a bit sluggish as well.

Sorry you're not thrilled. I don't use anything other than Radio, Bluetooth Audio and the GPS, so I'm rarely changing sources. Kind of a set it and drive person.

Although I don't have any speed issues with the GPS, it's faster than my Pioneer AVIC running the same software.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in the rearview monitor function. How difficult is it to switch to the external AV input on these? Can it be tied to reverse?

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the SD card option. But with no shuffle it's useless. Plan on using my Droid/Bluetooth with the shuffle on the phone. For $400 it isn't a bad deal and it gets rid of the cheap looking stock unit.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the unit I buy does not have the maps preloaded, where do I get the maps and what will that cost?

I'd imagine I can make a copy of my SD Card, send it to you, and you load the entire folder onto your SD card. I can't guarantee that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all it does is allow me to stream my own music from iPhone via Bluetooth, it's worth it to me. I have factory NAV unit and have never needed it. The Mopar iPod adapter is a PITA from what I hear. The rear RCA's are a plus to add after market amp. Kids will like watching the DVD when on the road.

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry you're not thrilled. I don't use anything other than Radio, Bluetooth Audio and the GPS, so I'm rarely changing sources. Kind of a set it and drive person.

Although I don't have any speed issues with the GPS, it's faster than my Pioneer AVIC running the same software.

I have an AVIC in my magnum... LOVE it. Maybe I need to set the average speed or something.

Did you figure out how to use GPS without playing a second audio source... Seems that as soon as you turn the thing on it defaults to radio. The only think I could see is that you either mute the audio source or switch to Aux that has nothing hooked up to it.

I'm also not sure the sub is activating... I fixed the out of phase speakers... but it seems soft. I'll have to test it more when the weather is good.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an AVIC in my magnum... LOVE it. Maybe I need to set the average speed or something.

Did you figure out how to use GPS without playing a second audio source... Seems that as soon as you turn the thing on it defaults to radio. The only think I could see is that you either mute the audio source or switch to Aux that has nothing hooked up to it.

I'm also not sure the sub is activating... I fixed the out of phase speakers... but it seems soft. I'll have to test it more when the weather is good.

I typically play my Bluetooth Audio over the GPS Screen, so I'm not sure. I would imagine if you don't have any audio hooked up, hit the B.T. button and then the GPS. Should be nothing playing. I never really shut it off though.

Yea my sub is firing fine, I swapped back and forth with the same song just to make sure after I fixed the out of phase issue. I didn't go so far as to break out the measurement equipment, but it seemed to be just as loud if not louder.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those interested there is a way to change the start up logo on both the new and old unit.

parameters, the image must be 800x480 resolution/24 bit color/sized to fit the 4x2 inch screen/must be in bmp format(bitmap)
you can use ANY immage as long as it is adjusted to meet the parameteres. even a familey photo.
something to consider, the unit only has 128mb of ram minus the OS and the factory logs. so do not go changing the logo every week, it will fill up fast. find the one you like and stick with it.

you can use an immage editor like photoshop, i used a freeware image editor called GIMP, to adjust the resolution and resize the image. IMPORTANT: your computer screen will automatically resize whatever you are working on to fit your computer screen. DO NOT USE THIS SIZE. adjust the pixels so what you actually see on your computer in front of you is no larger than 4 inches wide or 2 inches tall. if you save the immage the computer adjusted to fit your screen it will be too big to load on the unit and cause a load error. ask me how i know........

after you have your image load it to the root of an empty sd card. rename the immage to "logo.bmp"

start the unit. reset the unit with the reset button. put the sd card with the immage in the GPS card slot. USE THE REMOTE to start the update process by holding down the start button for 6 seconds or so untill you see it updating. you will see the image show up on the screen when it is updating. after the unit starts reset the unit and remove the sd card with the immage. start normally and it should be there.

if the image is too big it will cause a load error you will need firmwear to fix. same if the immage is in the wrong format, wrong resolution, wrong color bit.

i have firmwear they sent me to fix the problem with the clock reverting to china time when you use the GPS. this is how i figured out what NOT to do. lol.
i can e-mail the firmwear to you or you can complain about the clock problem and get it from the place you bought it. the problem with the firmwear they sent me is it is for the old unit. it will work on the new unit but you WILL LOSE the new radio UI. it will revert back to the old radio UI. but it will work.

so there is some risk involved. if you are not comfortable running updates and firmwear or do not hate the ram logo enough to risk loosing the radio UI do not do this. i have done it sucessfully on both the old and new unit. the only casualty is the new unit now has the old units UI. in expereimenting with this based on information i found on xda developers and gps forums i have had to run the firmwear countless times till i got it right. follow the parameters exactly and you will have no problems.

if i were you i would get the firmwear from the supplier before i started playing with it.

enjoy

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Rosco! I ordered one two weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet. Have compiled notes from you and 351carlo to ensure a smooth install. Am thinking about putting a picture of the car as the logo. Just thinking out loud, with the old UI don't you get the better Bluetooth connectivity? Are there any big advantages to the new UI?

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i worked directly with manufacturer (pm me for contact info if you cannot find it easily). they mentioned they can sell for 350 if someone orders 5+ units. i got one for $410 (incl shipping), they shipped within 4 business days of payment. many thanks to people who continue to post the results of their "experimentation" - I am sure it will be handy to at least a few of us.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Rosco! I ordered one two weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet. Have compiled notes from you and 351carlo to ensure a smooth install. Am thinking about putting a picture of the car as the logo. Just thinking out loud, with the old UI don't you get the better Bluetooth connectivity? Are there any big advantages to the new UI?

what i was thinking too, but did not work out that way. the firmwear did nothing to change the BT from not autoconnecting on my phone. i even went as far as installing MIOPOCKET and using the BT softwear in that program. made no differance. thinking it might be a setting on the board inside the machine. which is why the new unit is my experimental unit. i installed the old unit in the car because of the blue tooth.

i am actually impressed with the softwear they wrote for these machines. i have hacked them both, messed with files inside the windows program past the shell, run other programs on the machine it was not designed for and for what should be two bricked units they both work fine after reinstalling the firmwear. they are bulletproof IMO. we will see how long the hardwear holds out but the programing is fairly idiotproof.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more info on changing logo.

again the parameters apply, 800x480 resolution / 24 bit color / bmp format / named "logo.bmp"

reguarding the size. have been experimenting with it. as long as the pixils do not exceed the resolution it will work.

for example, if you want the logo to fill up the entire screen, after you adjust the resolution to 800x480, you can make the pixils 780x460 or as close to but not greater than the resolition and you will not get a load error. reguardless of the size it is on your computer screen. as long as the pixils do not exceed the resolution you are good.

probably something some of you graphics people already know but like me i bet a few of you dont.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine today and it's the older style with the RCA din plugs. It did come with rearview camera which was listed on website as $40 extra. I'll start the install this weekend. I'll PM some of you if I run into issues I need help with.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Still waiting. Tracking shows shipped on the 9th and now shows "Handed Over to Customs". Would like to install it this weekend, doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got mine, ordered from ometer. they shipped in 2 business days after receiving western union transfer, took another 3 days to arrive here (west coast).

same unit as pictured in OP

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
waiting for mine.....went through a different wholesaler....paid $350 including shipping.... sent me pix of the new unit, but we'll see what I get.....

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone installed this in a Gen IV? Have read about electrical gremlins when some have tried to install the Ipod interface on a Gen IV so wondering if there is any issue with this.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone installed this in a Gen IV? Have read about electrical gremlins when some have tried to install the Ipod interface on a Gen IV so wondering if there is any issue with this.

Mine will be in Gen4. I'm not going to use the iPod interface. I plan on using the Bluetooth function and stream the music.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else get theirs stuck in US Customs? EMS tracking says it's been there 2 days now, sitting in NYC.

I used DHL. Tracking shows it went from Hong Kong to Cincinnati on day one. Cleared customs and to my house on day three here in Texas.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DHL dropped mine off today.... paid and ordered on 3/8/2012..... it's the newer version, will probably install on Sunday...heading down to BikeWeek right now.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the harness they supply there is a blue wire with a pin crimped on the end of it, this is the amplifier turn-on. This needs to be inserted into the harness end in the correct position which is the slot right next to the thicker yellow wire. In the pic I have below you will see it pushed into the connector exactly where it needs to go.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you have any questions, ask away.

On mine, where you show the blue wire to go, there is already a blue wire with white stripe. Is this the same wire? There is another solid blue wire labeled woofer power, but there is no pin attached to it and it is connected to the small, black plug. Do I need to add a pin to the solid blue wire and install it where the blue/white wire is?

Thanks,
Murray

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VicT. I just installed mine yesterday and didnt anything with the other blue wire that was just hanging out and everything sound fine.