Opinion on possible scam

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recieved a response from my ad here in the Classifieds. The person who claims he wants to buy my car has sent me these two emails. The first one is the initial response, the second is after I emailed him and said I would return with more details since I were at work.. I find it funny that I just read a post on this forum about persons who had been contacted the same way, where the "scammer" wanted him to wire some money back..

1st mail:
Greeting, my name is Raymond Brown..i hail from new mexico {usa} & i am interested in buying your item you placed on the net,get back to me with the final asking price & also the latest condition.Certified check of money order is the payment method,i await your soonest response as soon as possible..

Mr Raymond Brown

2nd mail:
Everything sounds fine to me both price and condition,i then
instructed my client in{usa} to issue the money order to you.meanwhile
i also instructed him to include $4000 on the payment so you should
expect a money order of $52500 the excess is for my shipper that
will be coming for pick up.the funds will be used for
the shipping of the {Car} along side 3 other CARS i placed order for
in care of my shipper.I will imploy you to wire the rest funds via
western union money transfer to my shipper just after the check has
been cashed & your money has been deducted... i also want you to know
that..after the rest money has been wired to my shipper..He will come
to your location for the pick up at your location.i hope i can count
on you for rest funds to my shipper? i also want this to be based on
trust...Can i trust you ?..as for me you can trust me & you dont have
any problem with me.....

P.S i will like you to give me ur contact info..also as soon as u get
the cheque,cashing store will given to you for by me for the fast
cashing of the cheque.
Hope this is understandable by you.

Name in full.
Adresss. .
City...
State...
Country..
phone#..
Zipcode..

pls get all this done for me so that i can fax it down to my client
that will send u the payment..

Mr Raymond brown

He wrote "everything sounds fine" except I haven't really given him any info yet.. So what do you guys say? Possible scam or just some guy who is very bad at creating trust?

Thanks,
Erik

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds too bizarre to me. If he gives you a true cashier's check that clears your bank then you can't lose anything by forwarding the "extra" to someone else....but if you have to forward the money before his check clears then it's a major scam!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime you receive something THAT FREAKING VAGUE, and THAT POORLY WRITTEN - it's a scam.

If the scammers ever learn to communicate worth a crap - they might just be more successful.... Jeez...

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a good one I got today after I e-mailed a guy about an Acura NSX he had posted for sale. Quite an elaborate story. Some of it sounds legit but the price is too good to be true. Here is his e-mail:

The NSX is in perfect condition. It's a great car, trully a beauty. It has been very well maintained and I kept up with all of the service check ups to keep it in great shape. Everything from the front headlights to the rear spoiler makes this an awesome car to see and to drive. No accidents, no damage, scratches, dents, dings or anything like that neither on the exterior or the interior, no hidden defects, it is as advertised. You can run a CarFax on the VIN # to see all is good with the car. The oil was changed regularly; only top quality oil used. I recently had some issues in my family and don't want the car anymore, I just want to get rid of it as soon as possible. I'm sorry to say this and am not quite confortable talking about it but the reason I want to get rid of it is because I caught my wife cheating on me in this car and just don't want to see it anymore. I'm now involved in a lawsuite with her getting divorced.
Ok, so let's get passed this. The car was bought from the US, so it has US standards, so stay cool it's perfectly compatibile to you and you will not have to pay any more duty taxes on it. This is also another reason why I'm selling it cause it's pretty expensive to get it registered here being all the way from the US and I advertised it in the local papers but no one was interested, nobody wanted to buy it cause of the different standards here. I have to pay very expensive duty taxes. The car is still register in States. What other info would you like to know more ? It will be shipped from Italy and the shipping, handling and insurance charges will be covered by me. That's no problem for me, money isn't a problem, just want to get rid of the damn thing. The original receipt and all remaining warranty information packet with enrollment number pink slip and everything else are included for you and will be received along with the car. The car's already at the shhipping company all wrapped up with all the paperwork inside ready to be shipped. If necessary I will even assist you in getting warranty help when we end the deal and need to get it registered; most people just dump it on you with a useless warranty.
As for payment I accept only two methods, either through a third party, Square Trade, which holds the money until you get the car and inspect and test drive it, or a bank transfer from your account to mine's. (I'll be using my brother-in-law's account since being involved in the lawsuite with my wife I am not allowed to use it, stupid laws).
The car will be shipped from here and the estimated time of arrival to your address is about 4-5 working days.
You get 5 days of inspection and test driving so to make sure the car is as described and in perfect working condition.
For more info on the car or about how the payment will be done and also how the shipping process will take place get back to me.
I will be waiting for your e-mail letting me know if you are interested and wanting to buy and if you are also interested in knowing more details about the purchase or the car.
Thank you for your interest in my car and please reply as soon as possible.

OP
OP
F

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pretty sure it was a scam! There was no way I would have thought of doing anything of what this guy is asking me to do, but I just wanted to make sure, plus share it with all of you.

This dude is probably searching the net and sending this mail out to thousands of people. If just a few percentage of these people actually trust him and pays him money, he is earning big bucks. Just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't happen to any of you good people.
But when you think about it.. a guy that spells this bad probably isn't an educated person who is smart enough to think this out. There might be a lot of people behind these scams.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't Gary Javo have a similar Bull ShXX scam like this getting proposed to him around a year ago. If I were you I would do what I think Gary did at the time, and that would be jerking Raymond Brown around for a while and keeping us all posted.

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt 100000% positive scam. If you replied to him "I hope you die and burn in hell" he would reply to you with the same message, its almost like an auto-reply. Tell him don't worry about the shipping fee and him sending out his own shipping guy, tell him you will pay for it and ask him to give you his info. Then, once you have that, play games with him, sign him up for junk mail, ****, just f-with him. These guys are pathetic

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do I constantly see you guys posting this stuff (yes some of it is for fun but others I believe are serious)? I assume that we here are all intelligent, street-smart individuals. Some of us have degrees and others do not but we are all highly successful intelligent individuals on this board. Why do I constantly see people posting asking if these ridiculous emails inquiring about their cars are legitimate?

If it's for laughs, I have your audience, but seriously, who in their right mind would take any such email with a grain of salt?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do I constantly see you guys posting this stuff (yes some of it is for fun but others I believe are serious)? I assume that we here are all intelligent, street-smart individuals. Some of us have degrees and others do not but we are all highly successful intelligent individuals on this board. Why do I constantly see people posting asking if these rediculous emails inquiring about their cars are legitimate?

If it's for laughs, I have your audience, but seriously, who in their right mind would take any such email with a grain of salt?

Some Viper owners are idiots who inherited the money or won the lotto.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< i also instructed him to include $4000 on the payment so you should expect a money order of $52500 the excess is for my shipper >>

SCAM. if you ever read something that is not done in a "normal" transaction, red flags should fly, and sirens should start screaming. question confusing verbage, grammar, and misspelled words, especially when they come from a foreign country.

(before someone gives me a hard time about my grammar, etc., stop. I ALREADY KNOW that i am not perfect. Point: There is a CLEAR difference between my writing and what is posted above.)

also, always trust your gut. obviously you did suspect something was up, being you posted your concern here. i do applaud you for asking though.
You must be registered for see images

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you who think that once the funds have cleared you are in the clear, be advised that you are not. This is a 419 scam. The check that the seller recieves is a perfect forgery. The seller's bank will accept it. You will have funds in your account. You can even withdraw those funds. Then about 4 to 6 weeks later, your bank will inform you that the check was a fake they will take back the funds or demend you repleace them, and you will have an opportunity to meet with the FBI (since you passed a forged check you are in trouble). You wil be out the funds, out the excess money you wire transfered, and out the equipment you shipped. Never accept anything other then wire transfers.
Need more proof? Check this out: http://www.419eater.com/

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell the guy that you will send him some reasonable amount of money, say $4k.
But tell him that the transfer will cost $25 and you don't see why you have to pay for that.

Have him send you $25 cash, to a PO box of course.

He just might do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte