Orange Coast Dodge won't repair $1400 scratch

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Orange Coast Dodge won\'t repair $1400 scratch

I dropped my pristine 2004 Viper at Orange Coast Dodge for a routine oil change. Returned later to find a massive scrape on the passenger's fender and bumper. The service manager implied that since nobody saw the accident, they wouldn't repair it. I immediately took it to a body shop and obtained an estimate for $1400 to repair. The service manager at Orange Coast Dodge called me back and said that he reviewed all of the video cameras on the dealership and couldn't see any time when a vehicle scraped the Viper and therefore refused to pay for the repairs. He wouldn't even give me a complimentary oil change. This is supposedly a 5-star Dodge dealership with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I for one was not satisfied even 1% and my car remains scratched to hell... :curse:

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Orange Coast Dodge won\'t repair $1400 scratch

Next time do this.

I get the service writer I work with and make them walk around the car and make note of everything "WHEN" I drop of the car. I tell them it better be that way when I pick it up.

They do that every time you rent a car so I thought that would be a good idea to do to the dealer who hires 19 year olds as runners.

Reaction score

That $1400 would have bought you a lift like mine, plus 2 oil changes, the rolling collector and the creeper....then nobody would be scratching it while you were changing the oil.

Not to sure how many different people will post the same basic thing. Been years and years and there must be hundreds of these stories in the archives.

My last oil change was $65.48 and no scratches. Granted, I have to get my hands dirty....but I'm OK with that.

Looks like you'll have to go past the service manager...higher up the food chain! Good luck!! Sorry to hear another story like this. :(

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's why I change the oil on my cars as well.
Some of my acquaintances don't seem to understand why I do it myself...

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer, and it's inexpensive.

Reaction score

Take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer, and it's inexpensive.

That may be so, in theory. But...once you tally up what his TIME will cost....time away from work, time preparing....it adds up. I know...they COUNT on people with THAT attitude, doing a little cost/benefit analysis in their head and opting to just take it up the asp.

All things being equal, and having the time to deal with it...I concur 100%. :)

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

It's easy to say change your own oil, but it could have been there for any number of reasons. For that matter it could be any shop for any number of upgrades or mods. Check out the post about the guys car that got trashed during a so called test drive. It ***** that the dealer treats you that way. I would head higher up the food chain...ask to see the tapes as well.

Good advice about the walk around the car with the viper/service tech.

I also have to give props to Warnock Dodge here in NJ. When my viper was in their shop it was scratched. I got a phone call explaining the damage, how they were sorry and going to repair it promptly. Which they did.
Dave

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I give a high five to Grunt - great idea about making them inspect it prior to leaving it with them - Bruce

DB Paxton - good luck with it.

Bruce

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

If the word gets out over the internet that Orange Coast Dodge won't fix what they scratch, then maybe many customers won't buy cars there, and won't go there for services. The money lost from this would far outweigh the cost of fixing the scratch. Maybe they are the ones that should do the cost/benefit analysis! Post it in all the online car forums!

Conversely, it could actually work to their favor, if they use the scratch accident as an example of how they stepped up to the plate, made the customer whole, etc. The increased sales from word-of-mouth and internet advertising from fixing the scratch could result in even greater profits in the long run.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to be on the other side of the coin!!DB. I've owned a car storage and repair shop for 25yrs and over the years have seen several customers accuse of damage that there was no way it could have happened in the shop. So is the shop supposed to just fix any claim in good faith? Is the shop also responsible for the other customer that hit and runs your car? All my employees know that if they damage a car We want to know. They won't have to pay for it or get repremanded, accidents happen but some damage I know we get accused and didn't do the damage.IE. Were did the Green paint come from? "You see any green around here?" I had one last month. We left a Dodge truck out for an after hours night pickup and the the next afternoon he came by and we were accused of scraping the front bumper. I split a $400.00 bill with him even though the way it happened it looked like he scraped a parking lot light pole.
In our storage we do a damage pre-inspect. Would recommend you have it done before drop off. With no proof you're wasting your time in court. He said You said is useless. Did they sratch it or another customer? And I know it's always someone elses fault!! :headbang: Think if I was Orange Coast I'd be look'n for DB to provide some proof the damage happened there or be in for a liable suit.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I learned the hard way to document the car before it goes in. Takes no time to grab your digi-cam and run around the car real quick. Got burned the one time and it was blatantly the dealer's fault (nose scratched to heck with plastic shreds hanging off when they parked it out in a pothole-filled gravel lot next to the dealer). Lesson learned though.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dropped my pristine 2004 Viper at Orange Coast Dodge for a routine oil change.

You are two miles away from a great wrench. Go down San Jaquin Hils Dr. to the Moblie at the bottom of the hill. Mike works on all kinds of cars. He put's on car shows and works on Muscle cars too. He does my oil.

Go to Tuttle Click Dodge for warranty work. I have used them for 6 years with out problem.

OP
OP
D

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the great recommendations. Will never leave any car at a shop without a careful walk-around. Of course I have no proof that the scratch occurred at Orange Coast Dodge. If I did, I would have produced it to the dealer and, without recourse, they would have repaired it. I only stated the sequence of events as they occurred to the best of my knowledge. I think my point was that a 5 star dealership claiming 100% satisfaction guarantee did not fullfill their claim. I think they should have done more. Maybe split the repair bill, a free oil-change and wash, SOMETHING! Instead, they end up with a disgruntled ex-customer.

Newport Viper--I know the Mobil station well. Will also use Tuttle Click next time. Thanks.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am really curious here. Why is ok to knock one dealer on this forum and not another? Someone posted a question about Woodhouse (whom I actually like and deal with) and got a bunch of positve feedbacks. Then the next day (this occured this week) someone knocked Woodhouse and then ****...the whole post dissappeared. One can assume by this action that Woodhouse must pay to support this but are they, or anyone, 100% perfect. It just seems that a forum like this should be open if the topic is about Vipers...and let the members decided what is true/not true. We are all resonably intellegent people. Just my 2 cents worth. I am sure this whole post will now disappear because of my comments!

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score

WalMart is more careful than that !
CB

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Realization the right for free speach has been bought.
It's the same on almost all the forums that have sponsers.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Sorry to be on the other side of the coin!!DB. I've owned a car storage and repair shop for 25yrs and over the years have seen several customers accuse of damage that there was no way it could have happened in the shop. So is the shop supposed to just fix any claim in good faith? Is the shop also responsible for the other customer that hit and runs your car? All my employees know that if they damage a car We want to know. They won't have to pay for it or get repremanded, accidents happen but some damage I know we get accused and didn't do the damage.IE. Were did the Green paint come from? "You see any green around here?" I had one last month. We left a Dodge truck out for an after hours night pickup and the the next afternoon he came by and we were accused of scraping the front bumper. I split a $400.00 bill with him even though the way it happened it looked like he scraped a parking lot light pole.
In our storage we do a damage pre-inspect. Would recommend you have it done before drop off. With no proof you're wasting your time in court. He said You said is useless. Did they sratch it or another customer? And I know it's always someone elses fault!! :headbang: Think if I was Orange Coast I'd be look'n for DB to provide some proof the damage happened there or be in for a liable suit.

Good points, and "fair enough".

My Viper got two small chips in the paint, when I brought it into the now-defunct "Chrysler Neighborhood Care". Even though I was sure it happend while it was there, I didn't persue it, because it would have just been my word against theirs, and I know how far that argument can take you.

Anyway, all it took was one "off track excursion" at WillowSprings, to far exceed that paint damage, so its not like my whole well being hinges on Tuttle Click touching up those chips.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If your family and/or friends can solidly establish the condition the car was in when you left it, you should be able to win in court, even without a lawyer. Just ask them questions about its condition when they last saw it (should be immediately before you dropped it off at the dealership). Even if the car was damaged by another customer Orange Coast Dodge had the duty to protect it, but dropped the ball. It's harder to prove a case with circumstantial evidence, but with overwhelming, beleivable and credible witnesses you should win in small claims court. The fact that you pursue the issue will tip them off that you aren't lying to win a measly $1,400, but in fact are pursuing "the principle of the thing". Win or lose, you will have made your point with an "!" for all to see. (Lawyer, 35+ years)