Oreca Viper GTS

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, many years ago I used to run a small website called 'The Complete Dodge Viper' and over the years have compiled a healthy collection of Viper images. Every now and then I post here to see if anyone can shed some light on this particular Viper. I know that it was owned by Team Oreca and was used as their Homologation example when they toured the GT series. I contacted Oreca many years ago and they were kind enough to inform me that it was actually a completely stock Viper GTS fitted with a GTS-R body (approx 4 inches each side, wider than stock).

I last posted about this car about a year ago and it was brought to my attention by some forum members that the car was on display at the Viper plant on the show floor. So far I've only come across these few pictures and was wondering if anyone else had run across anymore.

Personally I think that this is one of the best looking Vipers out there and I'd love to see some more pictures of it. The silver and blue on the GTS-R body suits perfectly and the car has such a great stance. Anymore pictures or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As CAAP is 'mothballed' for a while, the CAAP-Collection needs a home......The Walter P. Chrysler Museum is expanding their Viper display this month, and may use that car....... July 1 is the formal debut of that exhibit.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The silver car has an Oreca style hood but a really funky splitter?? Its not a true GTSR but the car next to it sure is and I wished now I had bought it when it was for sale in Calif. before Dodge got it. I just noticed that two different pictures show two different 91 cars. One appears to be a replica.

Attachments

• 100_0130.jpg
    100_0130.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys...

I think those are my pictures? If so, then I do have a few more I an send you.

If they are yours, many thanks for taking them. I would love to see more if you have them!

doesn't look 4" wider on each side. Maybe 4" wider total

Perhaps it was 4 inches wider overall, I received the email almost 10 years ago now and my memory is a little foggy.

OP
OP
O

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The silver car has an Oreca style hood but a really funky splitter?? Its not a true GTSR but the car next to it sure is and I wished now I had bought it when it was for sale in Calif. before Dodge got it. I just noticed that two different pictures show two different 91 cars. One appears to be a replica.

I agree, the splitter is weird but it is definately a Oreca factory based car. The sister GTS-R car in the latter pics is definitely a replacement, even though re-decalled, I'm pretty sure the first car sold at auction a year ago or so..... They are hard to keep track of due to the extensive bodywork changes, does anyone have a chassis build number on this one? Would love for one of the experts to clarify.... From memory, this is C23......

The replacement...

One of the original dummies???....

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For us road guys it would require the removal of the front bumper behind the nose, but hell the look would be awesome :1up:

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4 inch addition of width looks god actually. If the hood is 2 inches wider on each side, what has to be done with the control arms/spindles/front suspension in order to take advantage of the width and not look goofy? I would imagine that bodywork on a stock GTS might look like a bad body kit if the wheels were recessed. Anyone know?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's a homologation car for revised GTS-R bodywork. It was a mostly stock GTS underneath. More info and a couple different pictures are available here: https://www.viperracinghistory.com/chrysleroreca-gts-r

Scroll down to "Homologation" Car

Wow, that is an incredible read. It's funny because I think a lot of people look at race cars and would think that they are rare treasures that are built and never changed, but the reality is that most of them are tools and get constantly tweaked, updated, and rebuilt on a regular basis. What was one a LeMans winning car could have been updated and raced many years into the future under different regulations and could just be sitting in some guy's garage now. It's pretty interesting to me how many of those cars are still in Europe as well, but I guess that's where most of the sports car racing series are, so I guess it makes some sense.

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although not the car you are talking about, I used to own this one:

And I just bought this one:

After all, they do go with your username! Lol.

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I'm a bit late, but i would suggest that you contact my friend Edwin Stucky who owns the Swiss Viper Museum, "The largest concentration of Viper GTS-R in the World"

str5010

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is an incredible read. It's funny because I think a lot of people look at race cars and would think that they are rare treasures that are built and never changed, but the reality is that most of them are tools and get constantly tweaked, updated, and rebuilt on a regular basis. What was one a LeMans winning car could have been updated and raced many years into the future under different regulations and could just be sitting in some guy's garage now. It's pretty interesting to me how many of those cars are still in Europe as well, but I guess that's where most of the sports car racing series are, so I guess it makes some sense.
Hello all! That is my website and it gets updated regularly as time permits. I added the car in question as it comes up every so often even though it wasn't one of the race cars. It was actually not the original homologation car for the GTS-R as a platform, but a follow up when the team wished to make some changes to the original base configuration. I hope some found the information useful! Additional details will be covered in future print projects.

-Shawn