Original Shifter

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In October, I had a B&M Ripper Shifter and MGW Gripper installed in my 1993 RT. But I actually prefer the stock shifter and black leather knob, and have decided to go back to this original setup. However, I no longer have my original assembly.

The Dodge dealer is asking close to $1000 to order OEM replacements. Does anyone know where I can get these parts for much less? And if anyone wants my B&M and MGW Gripper knob -- which are basically new -- I will gladly sell for a far better price than brand new.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the original shift handle and black leather knob from my car, never really considered selling it though. Call Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136 for the best OE pricing.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have several OEM shifters, but no stock knob. You should keep the MGW knob and put it on the OEM shifter. I;ll sell it to you for $30 shipped if your interesed.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In October, I had a B&M Ripper Shifter and MGW Gripper installed in my 1993 RT. But I actually prefer the stock shifter and black leather knob, and have decided to go back to this original setup. However, I no longer have my original assembly.

The Dodge dealer is asking close to $1000 to order OEM replacements. Does anyone know where I can get these parts for much less? And if anyone wants my B&M and MGW Gripper knob -- which are basically new -- I will gladly sell for a far better price than brand new.

What did you find about the B&M shifter that you didn't like?

Darkness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're not alone bro, I like the stock shifter better too. Even though it has a longer throw, I can shift a lot faster than with a short throw because its not as stiff or notchy.

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the stock shifter because it just feels right. It is more a question of feeling than anything else. I never had a complaint with the stock shifter -- actually it was great! -- so I do not know why I changed it in the first place. Ultimately, I guess I replaced it anyway because it was the 'mod' to do.

From the first moment I drove my Viper with the newly installed short shifter, I did not like it. I cannot pinpoint why -- again just a feeling. I certainly preferred the original setup.

Whereas the stock shifter is smooth and simple, the short shifter is notchy and stiff, like I must muscle the lever into gear instead of sliding it.

Another complaint I have toward short shifters in general: they should match the travel of pressing down on the clutch pedal. Otherwise, short shifters are of little use. They are of benefit, however, when the amount of travel it takes to press down on the clutch pedal is shortened as well. Only when these two characteristics compliment one another, does faster shifting occur.

The travel of the Viper's original shifter matches the travel of its clutch pedal perfectly. I give the design engineers a lot of credit. They truly understand their car.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have the stock shifter and shifter knob in mint condition for sale if you or anyone is interested pm me please. they were taken off a 97 gts with 3000 miles on the odo and replaced with BM and MGW pieces. I was going to save them if I ever sold the car but i am going to die with this car in my collection, no one else is getting my baby! except maybe my son whos 2 in january!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also preferred the stock Gen 1 shifter over the B&M in my '95 (only reason I replaced stock with the B&M was because the stock shifter broke at around 60k miles). However, the shifter in my Gen II ***** pretty bad; the B&M was better than my stock Gen II shifter, so I may replace it some day.

Darkness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm wounder what the difference between the Gen I and Gen II shifters are!!!

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the stock one more too. I considered getting another stock one and cutting it down to fit like the MGW. Haven't gone through with it yet though.

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the orginal equipment from Dodge brand new. It's a few bucks ... but worth it.

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I know the reason Dodge doesn't sell the OE shifter for my 1993. To get it, I must also buy what it's attached to -- the entire transmission! Well, I'm not going to spend $5000 for a shifter. Nonetheless a stock one.

I was told that the shifters from 1992 to 2001 were identical. Is this true?

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the stock shifter but am using the stock knob on my B&M. Shifter for free, shipping $10? MGH

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
(I wrote:)
I also preferred the stock Gen 1 shifter over the B&M in my '95 (only reason I replaced stock with the B&M was because the stock shifter broke at around 60k miles). However, the shifter in my Gen II ***** pretty bad; the B&M was better than my stock Gen II shifter, so I may replace it some day.
gallaugher pointed out to me that the same shifter is in the 92-02 Vipers. Wasn't aware of that. Thus, that means the "shifter in my gen II *****" (as compared to the Gen 1) would likely be referring to the transmission, or something wrong with my particular car. However, as I've heard other people that have owned both generations say the same thing, I'm thinking it must be the transmission changes.

Now, my local Viper tuner once commented that they changed the internals of the transmission between Gen I and Gen II due to some attempt to improve something (feel?, I don't recall); someone also commented that they changed the specifications for fluids to be used in the tranny, which, if true, would back up the tranny changes.

So, back to zero - my observation was that I, like many others, preferred the stock shifter in my Gen I over the B&M Ripper Shifter. However, I know of a number of others that put th B&M unit in their Gen II's and really liked it; and felt it was a definite improvement. I've not yet tried any aftermarket shifter in my Gen II, so I can't comment from personal experience.

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think some of the after market shifters look like toggle switches. How do you actually get an entire hand on it?