Owner Review; Ford GT vs. Viper ACR (Long, w/photos)

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a supercharged 04 Viper convertible and 05 Ford GT with a Whipple and living in southern California is about the most perfect combination I can think of. The two cars are the different sides of the same coin. This is coming from someone who is not a track person however, just someone that appreciates Dodge and Ford cares enough to make it happen.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great writeup, I didn't accomplish much at work this morning, so I'll have to make up for it this afternoon....what a great read!

I'll be very interested to hear some of your lap times as you get more and more comfortable with the ACR.

Regards,
Aaron

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me rail on the ACR for a moment, to be fair. I think the design is gimicky with the big wings and winglets, esp when its just being driven to ******* to show off. Why not rely more on ground effects and less on wing? After all, the Cobra never had one and neither did the GT40. (I know, it adds downforce and its easier and cheaper than redesigning the car and wind tunnel time was limited..., and the goal was to keep it under $100k.) I think wings look at home on the track, and should be left off for street cars, or they look too much like a "Fast & Furious wannabe." (Same for the GT3.)

IMO, I think the most valid comparisons would be a full blown track version of the GT with an ACR, or the standard 08 Viper with the GT. Everyone knows the ACR is more suited to the track, and most people could care less (its a fact, track rats are the distinct minority). How does the 08 Cpe measure up to the GT? How does the modded GT stack up to the ACR?

Final thoughts? The ACR is about what, five to seven years more advanced (modern) in technology than the GT? The fact that a GT is even being compared to a state-of-the-art track weapon is testament to the car. I also think the comparison of a full blown Z06 to an ACR is a valid one, and frankly, I don't see anyone with an ACR setting any track records in NASA or SCCA. I hope that will come, but if it won't beat a modded Z06, then it better have some mods of its own to bring to the track. I don't think the Z06 guys that I know are shaking in their shoes. They are still running P1 in their classes at NASA (where I race in TT Unlimited), and bringing a bit more than 600 HP. Nationals in one month. Will the 08 Viper show and take the crown? Lets not just talk trash, lets see some results in the real world before we put the Vette down. ;)

I have been reading your posts on the ACR for a while now, and you come off as an angry viper racer who believes the viper should only be run on the track.

Let me start with your comment on the wings of the ACR as gimicky, and that the Cobra didn't need them. Have you ever driven a Cobra over 150 mph. We had a club meeting where Dick Smith, one of the greatest Cobra drivers ever, brought his original Cobra and talked with our club. One of his comments were of driving on Leguna Seca in the 60's. He said that if you didn't come out of the last turn into the straight pointing in the right direction you were in trouble, because at top speed down the straight you could turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and the car wouldn't move. These cars were scary to drive with no down force.

Then you say the ACR should be compared to a full race GT and not the street version. The ACR was not made to be a one dimensional track car. If was to be the best car that could be driven to and from the race track. You don't see any ACR's setting any track records. Give us a break, what, there are at the most 30 ACR's delivered in the whole country. How long does it take to tune a car and set it up to compete in NASA or SCCA. How old are the Z06's you are talking about.

Your final thoughts say the viper is 5 to 7 years more advanced in technology. Please explain how an 06 GT compared to an 08 ACR is 5 to 7 years more advanced.

Anyway, I know your a viper owner and racer but lately you have been really down on the new cars for some reason, and some of your arguements don't hold water in my opinion.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GREAT READ!!! Two beautiful cars. Any flaws (to you) on either car that bug you???? I WANT A RIDE (PLEASE)in BOTH if possible but definatly the GT,Iam in Park CITY......Kevin:2tu:

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two of the best cars ever made in America, lets hope Viper production continues for years to come.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very enjoyable read. +1 on your writing skills. I could almost feel what you were saying it was so discriptive.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Fun read.

The Ford GT is a very cool car, so is the Viper.

Comments;

Don't know of any vinyl in / on the Viper's seats as stated above.

Hard to take much with you in a FGT and the seats are a bit hard along with being less ergonomic than they should be for a car in this price range.

Couldn't fit in a FGT with a helmet on - not sure if the seat can be lowered.

Ride is very firm and not that great on the street in a FGT either for a car of it's size.

Power in the GT was just "OK" when I drove it.

High speed stability is mostly due to the alignment in either car. Both seemed very stable at speed to me.

Again, good write up.

Maybe we could put together a track weekend at Miller Motorsports Park - could be fun.

Dan

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up! I have a Gen 3 and a GT and I love them both! The GT is by far and away the best car I have driven. So unique and American!:usa:

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like you to write my life`s story!!!! It would read wayyy more exciting then it is! Excellent write up
Thanks

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent article.....a neighbor of mine sold his FGT because he did not like the doors....He has over forty cars and multiple classic vets....I would have bought it but he sold it for some crazy low amount before I got to him. My other assumption is that you first name is Walter....i.e. of Walter Mitty fame or should I say short story.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad, I just don't understand why nobody is posting track records with the car that is so vastly superior to everything else on the track. I am wondering out loud, in a forum, which is what the forums are all about, eh? I appreciate you being civil about it as you call me out.

As for the volume of cars, the first one off the lot went to JH, and he prepped it in 3 days and won every track event at OLA. I have also seen Danny Popp buy a stock C5 Z06 and put a motor in it and tune it at the track, in a day, and take P1 at Mid-Ohio in TTU. I don't think your argument on number of cars being only 30 or that there hasn't been enough time to prep them holds water....

As for the Cobra...you believed that guy? (Hint-Don't try it.) Here is a video of a Cobra running a decent lap at RA. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95E9B6zPzuY&feature=related[/media]. Its on the ground pretty good and getting about 170 on the straight. Now, a guy that was at RA a couple weekends ago (when I was there) in a stock Z06 with headers knocked 15 sec off the time you see in that video. I am wondering out loud why the ACR isn't putting up those kind of numbers, that's all, despite all the bragging. No offense meant. I know its a great car...its just an enigma until it starts posting the records. ;)

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brad, I just don't understand why nobody is posting track records with the car that is so vastly superior to everything else on the track. I am wondering out loud, in a forum, which is what the forums are all about, eh? I appreciate you being civil about it as you call me out.
Well, how many people have gone out and tried? You almost need people to go out and try to break a record for that to happen. Its not like records fall easily. Conditions have to be just right (cool air and a warm track with fresh rubber on it), and you certainly can't do it without a great driver or on PS Cups.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am currently in the market for one of the two vehicles so thank you for the detailed write up. last year when i was exotic shopping i ended up with a gallardo and although it is stunning i feel it doesnt have the bite to go along with its bark. wish i would have bought the gt instead.
i am a viper guy at heart but after having some seat time in a gt last week it is hard to resist its draw

Heffner will take care of that Gallardo under-bite problem for ya... :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think your argument on number of cars being only 30 or that there hasn't been enough time to prep them holds water....

Sounds reasonable to me. 30 cars, no real factory support, racing organizations still need to determine which class the ACR will fit in, hurting economy. A bud here just got an ACR that we were going to take to Sebring but the event was cancelled for lack of entries. Times are tough. 30 cars just doesn't seem like very many to already expect track records.

But fear not. I've got a couple of Z06 track rat buds that are looking for ACRs and those guys will tear it up when they get them.

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the exhaust. My father went to high school (Cinti OH) with Carol Shelby and in the 60's I had the pleasure to ride and drive a 427 484 HP cobra and a ford GT. I was much more impressed with the cobra. That was then and I was 18. I forget why (the 60's)! As an 08 viper owner I have to agree with the sound. The mustang, vet has a better sound to me (I had enough vet's and wouldn't own either) I would love to find a system that gave the viper a better sound than, I wouldn't say UPS, but the grumble sound it has. My wife has a 10 cylinder Audi so its not the ten cylinder thing I have been told before. Will the Corsa do it?
Two vipers or one GT. A no brainier. I'll get on my 9 sec R1 Yamaha and slam em both. On the track the viper has more bang for the buck.

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable to me. 30 cars, no real factory support, racing organizations still need to determine which class the ACR will fit in, hurting economy. A bud here just got an ACR that we were going to take to Sebring but the event was cancelled for lack of entries. Times are tough. 30 cars just doesn't seem like very many to already expect track records.

But fear not. I've got a couple of Z06 track rat buds that are looking for ACRs and those guys will tear it up when they get them.
I see more grammies in vettes than men

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What can I get a GT for now days? All this F-word talking is getting me in the mood!!!

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck! Do whatever you can, beg, borrow steal, trade in both your cars, whatever, you have to do to get an ACR. I tracked my 98, then my 03 and I just picked up my violet/white stripe ACR on Aug 1st. Bye, Bye 03. On Aug 11th with 700 miles on it, I took it to the Joliet Autobahn for an IL VCA event. OMG! This car rocks! It's so easy to drive it's ridiculous. I've been tracking my cars for 10 years and was the IL VCA race director for five so I've been to a lot of events. I can't tell you how pumped I am about this car. Ralph Gilles was there and smoked every one including 3 comp coupes with a 2.35.6 This was my 2nd time at the autobahn and I ran a 2:43.9 ,which is 15 seconds faster than last year. Ralph was 4 seconds faster than the second place comp coupe at 2:39.6 Ralph told me, trust the car, trust the aero and be smooth. Bingo! Worked like a charm! I'm not lying to ya Chuck, get the car!

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own an 08 Viper (not an ACR) and an 06 FGT. I'll keep it short. The Viper is significantly faster in a straight line and is light years ahead of the FGT in handling. Fit and finish is equal. Build quality is much better on the Viper. The FGT does one thing better than most others cars. It looks better, reliablity is poor. FGT sounds better.

That being said I just took delivery of my 08 Shelby Supersnake at 725 HP. It is the king of the stoplight and faster than the 08 Viper if I can modulate the throttle which is not easy. The Supersnake package is really neat. The Shelby factory experience is tremendous. But obviously on a road course the Supersnake is a 4000 pound brick. Price on SS is about 85K out the door including intial purchase of the GT 500. Viper is still the best bang for the buck. The great thing about the Mustang is the back seat so my kids can come along. I view the Mustang as a muscle car and not s sports car. My two cents.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck! Do whatever you can, beg, borrow steal, trade in both your cars, whatever, you have to do to get an ACR. I tracked my 98, then my 03 and I just picked up my violet/white stripe ACR on Aug 1st. Bye, Bye 03. On Aug 11th with 700 miles on it, I took it to the Joliet Autobahn for an IL VCA event. OMG! This car rocks! It's so easy to drive it's ridiculous. I've been tracking my cars for 10 years and was the IL VCA race director for five so I've been to a lot of events. I can't tell you how pumped I am about this car. Ralph Gilles was there and smoked every one including 3 comp coupes with a 2.35.6 This was my 2nd time at the autobahn and I ran a 2:43.9 ,which is 15 seconds faster than last year. Ralph was 4 seconds faster than the second place comp coupe at 2:39.6 Ralph told me, trust the car, trust the aero and be smooth. Bingo! Worked like a charm! I'm not lying to ya Chuck, get the car!

If you could posat pics of your car that would be much appreciated. Congrats!

/Rich

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am aware Tom. I got a chance to do some spirited street driving in Andy's ACR ******** last week. Hopefully I'll be doing a couple laps at Sebring next month and really nail it.

I'm thinking about putting a kidney on eBay.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am aware Tom. I got a chance to do some spirited street driving in Andy's ACR ******** last week. Hopefully I'll be doing a couple laps at Sebring next month and really nail it.

I'm thinking about putting a kidney on eBay.

I'll start the bidding at $200. Not that I need the kidney, but it's hard for me to pass up a good deal :D

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see why the supposed "multi-millionaire" with the ACR for sale, doesn't man up and donate the car to Chuck. Hell, Chuck is such a strong advocate for the Viper line that Chrysler should man up as well and give him one. That would leave Chuck with 2 ACR's.

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's an amazing write up and I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing it. You're a very fortunate man to have such a great stable of cars from which to choose. How tall are you? I really want a GT but I dont fit in it even without a helmet. I'm not sure if there are seat lowering kits (I think there must be) but even if there are I wonder if it would be enough. I'm only 6ft 5 inch so it's not like I'm super tall.