Painting Dash... how defuzz?

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, Ed is ready to paint the dash and asked me how to get the fuzzy paint off... I told him simple, it scratches right off with your finger nail :)

He was not amused.

Anyone know what to use to take the fuzzy paint of the dash that does not damage the base plastic?

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started with 150 grit wet sand and worked up to 400. It was a pain but it did a great job. I was told that any chemical that would "cut the fuzz" would damage the dash.

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get some easy off ( www.easyoff.us/index.shtml). Spray it on and wait about 10 minutes, then wipe the old finish off with a towel or shop rag. This is by far the easiest and best way to get the OEM finish off and ready for paint.

vinnieviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in the middle of doing my dash now.. it must of had 4 coats of paint on it.. easy off worked pretty good.. still was not a easy job. sanded it down and fine steel wool helps.. i took my radio trim to local body shop.. just to see how it comes out before i proceed with dash.. not really that expensive if u do most of the prep just take time and do it right and u can prime and wet send and do it yourself and it will look great..

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished mine. Used the easy off method. I put on a liberal coat, waiting 30 min then scrapped with a small puddy knife. Reapplied and left sit over night. The next day I wiped (rather hard) with a rag, reapplied again. Next day it wiped clean.

I then prepped with a buildable/sandable primer, wet sanded with 400 then painted. Flat black with a flat clear. I will have better pics, probably tomorrow.

8631gbdoor.jpg

8631032306_1-med.jpg

If you want a used dash to try it with mine is for sale. If it does not sell I am then parting the GB door and just going to sell the dash without the door (Door already spoken for).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8051186913&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
94RT10Ohio
"If you want a used dash to try it with mine is for sale"

Is that your dash on ebay now? I would like one to finish before I take mine out, and then sell mine. That way I can still drive it when the weather is good!
Thanks Larry

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished mine. Used the easy off method. I put on a liberal coat, waiting 30 min then scrapped with a small puddy knife. Reapplied and left sit over night. The next day I wiped (rather hard) with a rag, reapplied again. Next day it wiped clean.

I then prepped with a buildable/sandable primer, wet sanded with 400 then painted. Flat black with a flat clear. I will have better pics, probably tomorrow.

Used the Easy-Off method (lye type) with super fine scotch bright, worked great.

What brand and part number of primer did you use?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did this yesterday and easy off worked great. I sprayed it on, let it sit for about 60-80 minutes and cleaned the paint off with a scouring pad. its took two applications to get the gunk in the small corners, but the second coat only set for about 10 minutes. after stripping the plastic parts clean them with denatured alcohol. I used krylon fusion paint and couldn't be happier (no primer).

WARNING: EasyOff is extremely toxic and will give you nasty burns. as a minimum wear protective gloves and glasses.

I would have posted pictures already, but I'm trying to put together a good write-up on the whole thing. I also haven't completely assembled my interior because I'm waiting for my Hurst shifter to arrive...

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Used the Easy-Off method (lye type) with super fine scotch bright, worked great.

What brand and part number of primer did you use?

I do not recall what primer I used, just about any buildable/sandable primer will work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery