Paxton Installation

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone out there installed a Paxton kit themselves? I just ordered the kit and was planning on putting it on myself, but having a local shop tune it, mostly to make sure the A/F ratio is on the safe side. My car ('04) is bone stock except for Mopar exhaust, 3.45 gears and K&N (which will go of course). I'd rather run it on the rich side and lose a few HP than risk breaking it, plus I'm in Texas and it's freakin' hot down here. I downloaded the install manual from the Paxton website and mechanically it doesn't look too bad. A few years ago I built an engine and installed a blower on my old '85 mustang (with a Holley 750 - old school) so I have some experience. I'm wondering if someone has done it if they could comment on how difficult it was, was it worth the effort to save some $$, any tips/tricks/suggestions, etc.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand to key the crankshaft the Motor needs to be raised about 2 inches. At least that's what DLM does for safety reasons and they put a new modified crankshaft pulley with damper. Otherwise should not be difficult. Whomever you buy it from ask to determine if they give free installation trouble shooting time over the phone. My blower pulley nose rubbed up against the alternator belt and had to be machined down(Blower Pulley Nose). Something I could not have done at home.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Had a few problems with wrong/missing parts but Paxton air mailed the correct parts that I did not find locally.

Pinning the crank (using the Paxton supplied parts/tools) was not the easiest. I had to buy a 90 degree drill and lift the engine some.

Overall the install is straight forward but takes some time. I would estimate 40-50 hours.

I am still waiting for the "improved" air cleaner housing as mine hits the hood and has worn out the hood pad.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Had a few problems with wrong/missing parts but Paxton air mailed the correct parts that I did not find locally.

Pinning the crank (using the Paxton supplied parts/tools) was not the easiest. I had to buy a 90 degree drill and lift the engine some.

Overall the install is straight forward but takes some time. I would estimate 40-50 hours.

I am still waiting for the "improved" air cleaner housing as mine hits the hood and has worn out the hood pad.

Any word on when the new "improved" air cleaner housing will be available? Also 40-50 hours :eek: are you sure about that? I heard it was only supposed to take about 8-10 hours

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love working on my cars, (put a motor in my 2001). I usually do all my own work, but I paid someone to do it. It's not a ton of money, adn it's nice to know it's done right. If you're in Texas, check out www.velocity-performance.com They did my install and it's been great. They're affordable too.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can do it in 8-10 hours more power to you. But I am slow and methodical and over the winter took somewhere in the 40 to 50 hour range to complete it. That is with a hoist and heated garage. But I did take about 2 months off while I vacationed in south america.

I have not heard anything from Paxton about the air cleaner. I would DEMAND a revised air cleaner on a new purchase.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll wait for the ROE s/c if they really haven't revised the air cleaner!

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think that I have done an after market application
yet where there wasn't something that didn't fit right.
Seems to be just part of the deal no matter how many times
the the salesman tells you that everything will be just fine.

Herc :usa:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hood pad is rubbed pretty much through, not pretty. Still no new part.

Installation at a Viper shop should be 12 or so hours at their labor rate. At least that's what I paid.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I ask how much that paxton installation cost?

It depends on the installer, $1500-$2500 is typical.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I ask how much that paxton installation cost?

It depends on the installer, $1500-$2500 is typical.

Damn!! Velocity defenetly has a great price then 8999 installed with 02 sims larger injectors new injector clip 02 sims dyno tuned.
Ricky

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper D...I got an e-mail from them saying they will have it out by the end of summer this year!

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll wait for the ROE s/c if they really haven't revised the air cleaner!

you will be waiting for a long long time.

vd..

yeah, probably forever. I talked to dave at roe, and he told me that the blower would probably not be out within the next 6 months. I think i'll hold on for Heffners DIY turbo kit. I like turbos better anyways. *****, squish, bang!*

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea on when the Heffner DIY TT will be out for the SRT? What kinds of numbers will we see and most important whats the price tag going to be?

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea on when the Heffner DIY TT will be out for the SRT? What kinds of numbers will we see and most important whats the price tag going to be?

Price tag should be right under 10 large. So think, 9,999.99 :laugh: As for date, he said it should be out within the next 6 months. I'm hoping by the end of the year. As for power levels, the turbos are well capable of making 750-800 crank HP no problem...or so I think. Those kits can be tuned. Time will tell.

OP
OP
S

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about a turbo kit and looked into them, to me the problem is unless you want to tear into the motor and replace the stock hypereutetic pistons there is really no sense in having electronically adjustable boost (boost controller) since I would not run more boost on the stock pistons than a stock Paxton kit will put out anyways. Of course with the turbos your not using engine HP to drive the blower, but for $6650 (what I paid for the stock Paxton kit) vs. $9999.99 (ha ha) I'll give up 50HP, with these kind of power levels I don't think you will notice it. Also, putting in a DIY turbo kit would be no easy feat compared to a blower install and I love that blower whine. To me, best bang for the buck is the blower!

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly. I talked to Dave about two weeks ago and he told me the kit for the cars wont be out within the next 5-6 months. Good luck by the end of the summer.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about a turbo kit and looked into them, to me the problem is unless you want to tear into the motor and replace the stock hypereutetic pistons there is really no sense in having electronically adjustable boost (boost controller) since I would not run more boost on the stock pistons than a stock Paxton kit will put out anyways. Of course with the turbos your not using engine HP to drive the blower, but for $6650 (what I paid for the stock Paxton kit) vs. $9999.99 (ha ha) I'll give up 50HP, with these kind of power levels I don't think you will notice it. Also, putting in a DIY turbo kit would be no easy feat compared to a blower install and I love that blower whine. To me, best bang for the buck is the blower!
that's what im talkin about :headbang: . lift the hood and have an inyourface experience.