PDX: Yet another newbie with buying/servicing questions (long)

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, and season's greetings!

My name's Mike. I joined this board about a week ago, and have been lurking around, searching the archives and watching the current threads before asking any repetitive questions. I'm yet another newbie looking for more information before I take the plunge into buying a Viper. I'll warn that this is very long winded, but I would really appreciate any help/advice you folks can provide.

I'm partial to the 92-95 RT's, as I love the sidepipes and open top. Conveniently enough, they also just happen to fall just within my budget (mid to upper 30's. I couldn't afford a GTS anyway....) I went though the archives looking for faqs on purchasing/inspection a used Viper, and didn't see anything formal, but was able to glean a few things and compiled a list on my own (BTW, I'm willing to formalize this into a faq, as it seems to be a recurrent thread....). I itemized them below, and would appreciate it if you folks could look it over and let me know if there is anything glaring which I left out. Also, I do have a few questions on some of the things I found, and was hoping you folks could help me answer....

A basic inspection (Viper specific) list:
1) check engine for coolant/head gasket leaks
2) look for maintenance records (what's the service schedule?)
3) verify with Dodge dealer that internal computer data matches odometer (is this true for all Vipers?)
4) inspect door panels for wear not matching mileage (at what age/mileage do they start looking noticeably worn?)
5) check the hood for cracking/splits; very expensive to replace
6) check for all parts for top, windows (how many parts are there?)
7) check for all ancillary parts (window sticker, owners man, warranty book, toolkit)
8) make sure all keys/remotes are present
9) examine the sidepipes for bubbling sills
10) rubber all over wheelwells (indications of drag racing)

The biggest issue that seems to come with the early Vipers is the head gasket/engine rebuild. I read a lot of comments that dealing with the head gaskets was more of a "when" issue, rather than an "if" issue. Rebuilding the entire engine was less common, but a seemingly "desireable" event. My question is how well the engines hold up after the head gaskets are replaced, or engine is rebuilt. Are the engines dead bang reliable after the repairs? Are there many cases of further engine issues after these repairs, or can I reasonably expect a long service life after the gaskets are replaced? How reasonable is Dodge in making repairs under warranty? For instance, say I purchase a used Viper that's still under warranty, and discover coolant leaks and the telltale coolant trail. Can I simply bring it to Dodge and expect that they will take care of it? Or will they fight me tooth and nail, claiming prior owner abuse, poor maintenance, etc.? What would I need to show them? I'm just trying to avoid walking into a potential $14k bill if I can avoid it... =;^)

The other big issue I can think of with a used Viper is abuse/previous damage. With all that power, it's hard to imagine any owner not tempted to test it. Thus, I can easily imagine a Viper which has been wrecked and pieced back together (there are always several on ebay in just such a condition). Are there any good telltale signs that a Viper has been wrecked and put back together? Are body panels numbered such that you can tell what's original/replaced? Are there typical areas or weak spots which show damage that aren't replaced during repair(for instance, suspension pickups which are straightened rather than replaced)? My understanding is that the entire body is composite, and that pieces are rarely identical from car to car, so that seam alignment isn't a good indicator.

Given the rarity of the car, I'm pretty resigned to looking for one from out of the area. I've seen several in various ads that look promising, but they are pretty far away (Los Angeles, Bakersfield, Boston, Chicago, and FL). Is there a listing of recommended certified Viper technicians for various areas? Or even qualified independent technicians. It seems a lot of places are scared of looking at them. For instance, I called a dealership with a certified tech. that was local to one of the cars I was interested in, in order to schedule a pre-purchase inspection. They (a Dodge dealer!) refused, on the grounds that they were afraid of incurring the liability asscociated the inspection(?) It'd certainly make me wonder how qualified they are to actually service one!

Vipers don't seem very common in the PDX area. I've only seen less than 10 in the past several years. However, judging from the posts, there appear to be alot of Viper owners in the PDX area (say, within 60 mile radius). Is there an active club in the region? With other marques, I've noticed that active clubs provide the best support for any newbie. I've met Richie (hard to miss him... =8^), but haven't found any other owners. Also there any reliable/competent certified Viper techs in this area? I've seen Vipers at Dick's, Timberline, and Bryan Bickmore, but they only appear regularly at Dick's and Timberline, and I have no idea what the two service dept. are like. After having an oil change done by a certified "master tech" in a 5-star Chrysler dealer, and leaving the service bay with no oil in the pan, I'm leering of any official labels, and trust only real references.

I'm planning on using this car as my daily driver. While the weather tends to be mild up here, there are occasionally some pretty hot, nasty days. I've read that Viper cockpits can get very toasty. How important is it to get a/c in a Viper. Is the system effective? My commute is stop-n-go for about 25 minutes, and my Jeep (no a/c either) gets plenty toasty, although the top doesn't come off, so ventilation is limited. My understanding is that all '94 and newer Vipers are "pre-plumbed" for a/c. How difficult and expensive would it be to retrofit an a/c system into a car that didn't come with one? Is it even possible?

How are Vipers in the rain? I read a recent thread about someone who lost the rear end and spun his snake in the rain. It rains quite a bit in the PNW, and most of the roads I frequent have severely grooved surfaces with standing water. I've hydroplaned on those roads with all my current cars. How much worse would a Viper be? It doesn't seem that the tire sizes and tread patterns were optimized for foul weather. Along the same lines, how weather proof are the different soft/hard top options? How do the factory/Vmania/Henessey/etc. hardtops rank in terms of weatherproofness and ease of install, and are the factory softtops suitable for any regular usage (or are they emergency only?)?

What are service costs like? From what I've read, there's a service interval at 20k, and it seems that tires, clutch (at 20k!?!), fluids, and other maintenance work typically comes due at 20k. Coincidentally, a lot of cars that are for sale have about 20k miles on them. Are the service costs that extreme that people are selling them just short of having to pay for the service work on the cars? I've seen that this is pretty common with Ferrari people.....

Finally, the million dollar question: What kind of pricing (real world values) should I expect on a good quality car? The pricing seems to vary all over the map.... I see local pricing around $40k, although I've seen out of area prices anywhere from the low 30's to mid 40's. According to Edmunds and KBB, the cars are worth from the high 20's to mid 30's. Obviously, there is some misconnect here.... From general forum comments, it looks like the prices on the early cars is dropping rapidly with the SRT (probably also combined with winter weather). If so, then should I be adhering to the price guides (given that they typically show higher than market valuation for other cars I've looked at)? Since I'm in the market for one, I'd like to believe the lower valuation is correct, although that tune will rapidly change once I join the ranks of owners!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Mike

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Mike, From your essay it might seem your a little nervous about taking the plunge![sound]http://[/sound] Anyway I had some
similar questions and concernsas you before I bought recently on
Dec. 16th of this year. Give me a call and I'll talk to you!

P.S. Lighten up a little and enjoy the experience

1996 RT/10 BLACK/SILVER STRIPES STOCK...FOR THE MOMENT

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
newbie[1].gif

driving.gif

Do a search on all your questions using this site.

Then if you would like, email me with questions about the Arrow rebuild, and I will tell you what I know as I am in the middle of this process. I also have had the hood problem taken care of, so I may be of some help there as well. Any thing else I can help with, I would be more than happy to.

TAKE THE PLUNGE!!!!!

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike- Head gaskets are a common issue. A good tech will inspect the heads, valve seals, cylinders, and sleeves. After this is done the engines are very dependable.
Transmissions- If you get to test drive it (but long distant sale you probable won't). Make sure it shifts without extra effort.
AC can be added to any car including the 92's and ealy 93's. I was quoted $5000 to add it to my car by a local AC shop. I bought all the AC parts I could from another member who removed his (race car). Bought the rest from Dodge and install- Everything totalled $2500. I got lucky on this one.
Cracks in hood should be avoided. Most cars will need a new set of tires- Will cost around $1500 installed.
Warrantee- Be carefull of existing warrantee's. They do not always transfer to the new owner. Especially 3rd owner. I think the cutoff now is 95 or newer.
If you were to call a dealer and qualify the car against your list in writing. That that would be worth something. I recommend you call a reputable dealer and ask them about there used cars or customers cars that are up for sale. The Viper tech will know the cars of their customers.
Good luck.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">Mike - A few comments on driving the Viper in the PDX area. Mine does fine in the normal rain-soaked roads, but it is a thrill when you hit standing water. While most of the discussion seems to be about losing the back end in a hydroplane (12 or 13 inches of meat back there will do that) it is the front end that I feel lighten up in the puddles. I have never lost directional control or stability, but you know that feeling.

I run the MXX3's and they seem to do well. Some say that the Pilot Sports are better rain tires. I don't know as I haven't run them. A good person to call is Jon Brobst at the Parts Rack (Washougal Wa. (360) 837-3937) as he 1) is a fantastic Viper supporter, 2) Has great prices on things Viper, and 3) Drives his Viper around on the same roads we do.

Rutted and worn roads are tough. Those steam roller tires hunt out every rut possible. The Banfield freeway was a wrestling match with the steering wheel until they paved it last summer.

Both concerns, water and ruts, are mitigated by having good tires and wheel alignment. I am rolling on new MXX3's I bought from Jon and loving it. I am not afraid to drive my Viper in the rain although I tend not to as it is just not as much fun. I save it for the better days and drive the PNW obligatory SUV with the rain flies.

As for stop and go traffic, that is something that you will have to decide for yourself. My Viper, with its minor mods, doesn't care for going too slow. The '96 cam seems to have a narrower LDA making for a cool lumpy sound, but it does tend to want a little RPM on the bottom end before it smoothes out. I gather this varies from year to year so a test drive will tell you what that is like. Make sure that the car is warm before you judge it as they will buck and spit when cold in a 1st gear idle.

As for the local club, I don't know. I was a Viper owner before I stumbled on to this site. Generally between being a Dad (Scoutmaster, Soccer, baseball, ballet, martial arts, dirt bike riding (yeah!), Skiing...) and my job I haven't really had the room in my schedule to think about being a decent contributing member to a club. I am pretty sure I would miss most of the events so I have not pursued it. If you find out, let me know! :) Good luck on your hunt. The Viper is pretty much pure fun!

</FONT c>

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

Thanks for the replies; I really appreciate it! I'm going to getting in touch with a few of you privately, as you guys may have noticed that I tend to overly wordy
wink.gif

This car's a pretty big deal for me, as what I should *REALLY* be getting is a family car (we have 2 small (under 2) kids), but my wife gave in, with the assumption that our big car will last for a few more years. If I can pick up a good car, then everything's cool. However, if the engine lets go, or some other
major catastrophy, then I'll really be in the dog house... I'm just trying to avoid that. But for now, I can't stop grinning when I even think that I'll have one in my garage soon....
supergrin.gif

Mike

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get ahold of JonB, Larry Schmidt, Rob Longston, Cody and others.
Talk to Ken at Timberline Dodge. There are about 80+/- Viper members in the PDX area, and another 80+/- in WA. Find out the event/meeting schedule for the OR Region and attend as a lurker!
Ask questons. Plenty of folks will help. There is LOTS of knowledge available to you in the PDX area.
Send me a private e-mail.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One important issue - when you run the dealer service report you will find very detailed info on the history of the car. There is one problem when you run this report. Some dealers have a default range of 36 months entered into the computer. Have them over-ride the default and give you a complete history.

Also have them do a compression test or a leak-down test. Another important test is an oil analysis. Don't let them change the oil, do the analysis prior to changing oil. These two tests will give you a highly accurate assessment of the engine condition. Don't be bashful you are spending a lot of money and these two tests combined shouldn't cost $150.

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

I bought my '94 RT/10 from the largest Viper dealer, Woodhouse. I'm sure you've seen the mention of Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse being an extremely knowledgeable and helpful source of information.

I bought the car sight-unseen. I requested certain particulars and acouple months later the car became available. Woodhouse mechanics verified the car was in good mechanical shape. The Woodhouse Viper reputation is such that selling a lemon Viper would be very bad for business.

I had looked in the usual sources locally, but found only cars with questionable histories.

Good luck,

Greg W.

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by obaa996:
Hi all, and season's greetings!

My name's Mike.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My name is Mike, too!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm yet another newbie looking for more information before I take the plunge into buying a Viper. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've recently asked the same questions in another post
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

I'm partial to the 92-95 RT's, as I love the sidepipes and open top. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THIS is where it gets scary! I wouldnt have anything cept a 92 (well, 93 due to the prices of 92s) thru 95's...and MY fav thing is the way the soft-top and exhaust looks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Conveniently enough, they also just happen to fall just within my budget (mid to upper 30's. I couldn't afford a GTS anyway....)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I seen one for as low as 30k even:

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=111997058&dealer_id=&make=DODGE&distance=any&max_price=&model=VIPER&advcd_on=n&end_year=1995&min_price=&first_record=51&addr ess=77586&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1990&=&color=&car_year=1993

wow, scary.

You may just be my long lost brother, Mike
smile.gif

Happy hunting, I think I finally found one for us, too! I got a feeling I'll literally cry for an hour when we get it (tears of joy)!

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its gonna be his daily driver, why get one with only 2k miles and pay such a premium for it?

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the further tips folks. I wasn't aware of the default dealer service history stuff; definitely a good tip to know! I didn't know dealerships could do the oil analysis in-house either; I always thought that sort of stuff was sent to a lab. If they can do that, then wow! the inspection must get pretty thorough.
I called two dealerships that were mentioned on the list. Latham Motors has a couple of RT's that might fit; I left a message with Eric (?). I also spoke to Bill at Woodhouse; what a great guy! He told me off the bat that he didn't have anything I was looking for, and then chatted with me for 15 minutes about what to look for and avoid. Man, that guy is as nice as everyone says!
smile.gif

Mike: Yes, you just might be my long lost brother; I never thought I fit in with the rest of my family anyway....
wink.gif
Let me know how your search goes!
Red is definitely where it's at for me, although I could see myself with a black, or even graphite one... The Viper red is kinda interesting in that, while indoors, it's deep and almost fluorescent to me (tomato-ish?), but outdoors in bright light, and it's kinda orangey. Just me, or other people think so too?
Black? Well, it's black...
smile.gif
My wife says Vipers are plain scary looking in black. Hmmm, so if I get a black one, she'll keep her hands off?
About NW Investment Cars... I get a really weird feeling from them... I had actually stopped in and taken a look at the car, and for some reason, it just doesn't sit right with me... The door panels are *REALLY* fuzzy/worn looking, which is odd for a 2k mile car, no? (In comparison to a new GTS I also saw). Also,
the door pillar (upper seat belt mount) seems to sit quite far away from the sportbar; the other side lines up. The tires definitely look original though (I saw a date code of 224; that's sometime in mid '94, right?) Just kinda weird to me... Although I did sit in it for some time making vroom vroom noises...
driving.gif

I'll keep you all posted on what I find, if you're interested.
Mike

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by obaa996:
Thanks for the further tips folks. I wasn't aware of the default dealer service history stuff; definitely a good tip to know! I didn't know dealerships could do the oil analysis in-house either; I always thought that sort of stuff was sent to a lab. If they can do that, then wow! the inspection must get pretty thorough.
I called two dealerships that were mentioned on the list. Latham Motors has a couple of RT's that might fit; I left a message with Eric (?). I also spoke to Bill at Woodhouse; what a great guy! He told me off the bat that he didn't have anything I was looking for, and then chatted with me for 15 minutes about what to look for and avoid. Man, that guy is as nice as everyone says!
smile.gif

Mike: Yes, you just might be my long lost brother; I never thought I fit in with the rest of my family anyway....
wink.gif
Let me know how your search goes!
Red is definitely where it's at for me, although I could see myself with a black, or even graphite one... The Viper red is kinda interesting in that, while indoors, it's deep and almost fluorescent to me (tomato-ish?), but outdoors in bright light, and it's kinda orangey. Just me, or other people think so too?
Black? Well, it's black...
smile.gif
My wife says Vipers are plain scary looking in black. Hmmm, so if I get a black one, she'll keep her hands off?
About NW Investment Cars... I get a really weird feeling from them... I had actually stopped in and taken a look at the car, and for some reason, it just doesn't sit right with me... The door panels are *REALLY* fuzzy/worn looking, which is odd for a 2k mile car, no? (In comparison to a new GTS I also saw). Also,
the door pillar (upper seat belt mount) seems to sit quite far away from the sportbar; the other side lines up. The tires definitely look original though (I saw a date code of 224; that's sometime in mid '94, right?) Just kinda weird to me... Although I did sit in it for some time making vroom vroom noises...
driving.gif

I'll keep you all posted on what I find, if you're interested.
Mike

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

Keep us posted, and remember, black Vipers are the baddest looking Gen 1's out there!!!

Just my .02.