Pick your races better next time ! Save us all the embarrassment !!

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in Bowling Green,KY this weekend for the ZR1 Gathering. Dont worry this story is not about corvettes (well sort of). IM a Viper owner and it's just that IM not prejudice and I appreciate all well engineered automobiles. IM sure most Viper owners has had or do own Corvettes. This story is one of lesson. It happened at the Beech Bend dragstrip(same event). IM taking in the festivities when a group or club? of vipers showed up. I said "Hey, I thought this was for corvettes" then again its a free country. Besides IM not complaining. We'll you can only imagine where this story is going. I started hearing trash talk and you could feel it in the air. There's gonna be a race. A RACE "cool" I said. I know which one IM putting my money on! It was a RT(rumored to have had nitrous) and a white slightly modified ZR1(also rumored to have gas also).IM thinking man this one must be fast(RT) since he was the one braving it against this hostile crowd(not really) but you get the point. You are at a all Chevy event. It was on the loudspeaker(the heckling). Is the Snake gonna bite ? or is it gonna be bitten ? RESULTS: ZR1 11.09 et 129mph The RT 13.16 et 111mph WHAT THE ? We'll the moral of this story is: Pick your Races better! or be able to back it up! Dont think that just because you own a fast car that... we'll sorry I'll stop but you get the point. If you want to see the results for yourself it is already on the National Corvette museums web site under the Gathering 2001 (saturdays events).Please no Hate Mail. I love my Viper. IM just sending a message.Thanks.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, your first post on the board, and it happens to be about a ZR-1 beating a Viper at Bowling Green....Hmmmmm....Sort of troll-like behavior, no??? Anyway, post pix of your Viper when you get a chance.

That being said, it does sound as if the Viper guys came in with the wrong attitude and got what they deserved.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
.....and the reason for this post is?

That's great. Two modified AMERICAN cars decide to have some fun, obviously one very superior to another in modifications. Suspicious that you've elected to establish your first post and just registered status with essentially a Viper snubbing post.

FYI: Every one of our great Viper owners understand that ANY car can be modified and perform superior to any other car. What we usually like to discuss is stock vs stock comparisons (although we like to avoid comparisons altogether), or performance upgrades to our snakes, or Regional or National events.

Please continue to join us with Viper related (and hopefully positive and informative) banter.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point he's trying to make is that the Viper boy got his butt handed to him because he had a big mouth and had nnnnnoooooo clue what he was up against. I've taken money from guys like him street racing.dj

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wait a minute, what do you mean a big mouth? There's nothing in the original post that says that he challenged anyone. Or am I missing something? Maybe it was just a sportsmans type race?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda funny how a Viper getting beat is an embarassment, but whenever I bang on C5 or ZR1 guys for getting smoked I always get the "well maybe he just wanted to see you run" excuse.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great 1st post......

If a 13:16 on the bottle was the best he could muster, then something was more than a little wrong. But then again, I'm sure you already know that.

As to the 11:09 posted by the ZR1, (even on the bottle), it had to be way more than slightly modified. But then again, I'm sure you already know that too.

Enjoy your new ride and welcome to The board.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Viperrt96 !! Glad you could see some of the Ind/Ky VCA members last weekend...this group was on way to a car show Sun am in Frankfort, Ky. If you want any formal or informal info on club, gatherings, ete. , drop me an e-mail or call me at 317-431-1375. Hope to see ya around,

Steve Fess Sec. Ind/Ky VCA

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, who does Viper work in that area? Someone who can do QUALITY performance and fab work. I built a car for a CART crew chief that moved to Indy, and we may need to get some stuff done. Any help would be great.dj

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MKIV,

You hit the NAIL on the HEAD! You are sooo right!

I've run mid-high 12's in my car depending on traction, etc. I've hit 13's when I've missed shifts and let off. I hear things like "gee, I thought Vipers ran low 12's" after I very obviously missed 3rd and coasted....

Some people just don't get it. You can immediately tell those who don't drag race by the crap they spout off. Any given car can vary a good 1/2 second even if they don't screw up somehow - miss a shift and it's anyone's guess as to how bad you will run.

The guy in the ZR1 obviously won, but the Viper also obviously didn't exactly make a stellar pass - not much of a 'kill' and certainly nothing for the driver of the Viper to be embarassed about, or any other Viper owner for that matter.

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear so much discussion about ET vs. ET. ... That would be fine for the race track. When your on the street, ET doesn't necessarily make for good highway racing. I have raced guys that claim they run high 9's and have beat them pretty bad on the street. Now I know on street tires or slicks on the track I probably wouldn't have a chance at 9's in my Viper and really I don't care. My car just keeps pulling up top and gives me that confident feeling on the highway. Love that stock gear and Supercharger!

Tom

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess if the Viper had Caldwell heads and the driver was wearing a Skip Barber brand skid control orange cone on his head, he'd have smoked that Vette and this thread wouldn't exist. Let's lock it down, bro.

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the way I read it the Viper owner was being quite humble.
With that in mind, the other quite obvious point is that his heart was not into beating that ZR1 or he would've been in the low 12s without the NOS..

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here is the story. We just drove down to watch and enjoy the weekend. Pulled into the show and the coordinator asked if anyone wanted to run for exhibition. No one did so I said I would. I was asked to unplug my limit switches on my bottle so I did and was supposed to run an equally matched ZR-1. I was backed off the line for not being teched. Got back in the line and lined up against a modded ZR-1 with a bottle and drag radials. My car is stock other wise and had just driven almost 200 miles to get there. No trash talking of any kind, no one running their mouth. Listen close to the video, I missed 3rd gear. Anyone who says they have never missed a gear on the track is lying.

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks for the big picture. Everything is fitting into place.

So where do we post this info on the vette site? I guess right next to the pictures of their ALMS championships!!! (OK, a little sarcasm)

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just for future reference I would like to set my post straight. I have no intention of bad mouthing anybody or compare apples or oranges. IM a recently acquired 96RT white/blue stripes owner. I have owned several corvettes over the past 12 years.It is for this reason the bad mouthing I have recieved for selling of corvette and buying a Viper.That's a NO Brainer and Yes it is my first post and I only felt the need to register and post this after what I had witnessed. You see I've always had this belief in "the proof is in the pudding" Yes IM very aware of facts and data that people like to put out there such as HP,RWHP, ET's,and what my car runs stock(per some magazines data with a professional driver of course)!This does'nt mean however Anybody and I mean Anybody has the skill to do the same.WE all know the car is capable but is the driver? For those who drive with that kind of skill and have proof(know's exactly what his car runs because he's ran it before)would have made a heck of an impression on many chevy owners if he would have beaten it.I could be bragging right now rather than making excuses. He missed a gear or he couldnt get hooked up But you see that didnt happen. He picked the wrong car.Irregardless of what excuse He lost.I left my car at home for a reason besides if I would have brought it I would have picked the right car.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about being caught in the middle (see below).
You must be registered for see images

BTW my zr1 (modified) is faster and sounds a gzillion times better than my stock GTS (for now), but lay the keys down on the table and there is one choice i will make time after time. Can you guessssssss?

Can't we all get along?

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be a great idea to invite members of the Corvette Club on down to CAAP sometime, to see how the Viper is made! I think they would be genuinely impressed. I know I took a dyed in the wool Chevvy guy out for a ride in the ol '94 last week, and his first comment was " I haven't felt acceleration like this in many years." His next comments went something like this "I've been reading very good things about the Viper, and from what I see now, they are all true!" "Maybe I should be looking for a Viper now!" And this is from a guy who collects many Chevvys and he also has a pristine example of a Ford Cobra kit car with the 428?c.i. side oiler installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960